NeverAmI

Satisclassifaction
Retired Staff
Sep 22, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I stumbled on this website and I must say I am enthralled! Unfortunately, the writer is no longer updating the website, but the entries he put forth are absolutely fascinating. Here is a sample of his content:

http://www.thenonist.com

lacrythumb.jpg

Romancing the Lachryphage

One of the supreme pleasures of that giddy delirium called human consciousness is an unsuppressable proclivity for filtering each extant instant and event, all objects, and every possible thing through the highly sensitive prism of emotion. The result is, put simply, poetry. We look at things around us, purposeful things, functional things, simple, straight forward things, and create out of them, through pattern recognition, anthropomorphism, and analogy a baroque emotional landscape positively rife with the touching, the gut-wrenching, and the glorious. Though the universe does not know it or care, we look around and we shudder at the significance of it all.

What am I rambling on about? Well, how about, for example, lachryphagy?

Can there be a more poetically potent act than that of drinking, and literally drawing sustenance from, another creatures tears?! Drinking tears for christ sake! Really, in human terms, it does not get much more poetically evocative than that, unless of course there is an animal lurking out there in the underbrush who subsists exclusively on the torn-out hearts of pregnant war widows.

For the animals who engage in this behavior, mainly a few species of moth, nothing could be more straight forward. Tears are as good a source of water and salt as any other (not to mention those delicious trace-levels of protein! Yum.) and hell, if no one else is gonna make use of it

Last edited:
That is gorgeously eloquent... my goodness! Also somewhat pain-inducing (I had to blink about 500 times really fast) It took me a minute and re-reading the text to realize those are little baby moths on that creature's eyes. Can't decide if it is creepy or beautiful.