The Non-Categorizable-INFJ | INFJ Forum

The Non-Categorizable-INFJ

Discussion in 'Education and Careers' started by Joe 94, Mar 3, 2020.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
More threads by Joe 94
  1. Joe 94

Joe 94 Three

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5-4
    A lot of INFJ's feel helpless because they realize how limited the corporate world is. It doesn't give them room to express themselves fully, even though there are some careers that seem to fit better than others. And it's not as if all corporate jobs are evil; however the INFJ seems to pick up on the details of the repetitiveness and reacts to this mundane way of living more obviously than other personality-types.

So what can an INFJ do about it?

1) Don't worry about fitting in. The world is changing. Maybe we won't have the same kind of corporations 20 years from now. I've heard the economy may shake and things will be much more local. Geico is already advertising "we're local." I think INFJ's want to expend their energy to help others, but they also realize more than others how much energy is wasted on group-think and needless meetings. The INFJ has a grasp on his internal feelings, but can also see the big picture.

2) Build your own career. Career comes from the root-word, "car." A car is a vehicle. Anything that you use to move resources and support in your direction is a vehicle. For example I've written one book. This works for many INFJ's because they like writing.

3) Realize that your inner-self doesn't want to be categorized, and put less importance on fitting in. I realized my ego was constructing much of the resistance to taking a boring job. It's important to get in tune with how our emotions are driving us. Because many INFJ's have lots of emotions, and from studying marketing, I've realized our emotions drive a lot more of our actions and behavior than our logic. This applies to all personality-types (except maybe INTJ haha).

Wherever one puts excess-importance, there will be balanced-forces waiting to eliminate the excess-potential. This is a concept borrowed from the book, "Reality Transurfing." I love that book.

So, evaluate where your excess emotions are.

Personally, it just feels like I'm afraid of regular jobs because I don't want to be wrong. Maybe I'm a perfectionist, or I'm afraid of working with people. My emotions come up so fast and then I start blaming or judging the group or the leader and finding excuses not to be part of the group anymore.

What is it about corporate work that triggers the you? Can you process that fear/anger and get past it?

Hope this helps you in your career.

Somnium, Wyote, Sandie33 and 2 others like this.
  2. Aneirin

Aneirin AKA, David
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    type 4w5
    I ended up in management. .seemed like a good idea at the time. One book I would recommend is:
    [​IMG]

it tells in fable style of how to become better at and ultimately win in the leadership game. almost turns it into a spiritual pursuit, and that is perhaps what drew me to it. The biggest problen I had was my tendency to rely on intuition to resolve issues. . the corporate world doesn't work on intuitions,even when you are right, which I always was. .

And welcome to the forum. .may you find something of worth in the words written here

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wyote, Asa, flower and 1 other person like this.
  3. ReasonEnduring

ReasonEnduring Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Skeptic
    I want to get into management.

I'm a damn site smarter than the clowns I've worked under before.

I can talk 'management-ese' but also thoroughly likeable with the hoy-poloy. And I'm not afraid to make the hard decisions for the greater good (of the business).

English charm in an American Establishment might help as well.

Gonna make myself a King using the system, then I'll rule the Kingdom my way. Better, efficient. But above all, profitable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ren and flower like this.
  4. Ren

Ren Pin's android

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    458 spsx
    I understand where you're coming from, but aren't you afraid this kind of cynicism would work against genuinely good leadership?

Wyote and flower like this.
  5. Sidney

Sidney Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ-T
    Enneagram:
    I've come to find that I'm not suited for management and it's not because I'm not smart enough. As I've gotten older and presumably wiser, I've come to find that management positions aren't an advancement. They are just another type of job. More often than not, a manager ends up not only managing the day to day tasks of the business but everyone's egos and personalities and somehow making it all work to the benefit of the team or business. As an INFJ this already sounds exhausting and hopeless to me. Like trying to herd cats. It also entails having a certain type of personality and charisma that people will follow that I gather many introverts like myself just don't have. I've learned the hard way already but have come to realize that its ok. Management just isn't for everyone and its alright if you aren't good at it. Lots of other tasks out there in the world to succeed at.

Wyote, Mar, flower and 2 others like this.
  6. Ren

Ren Pin's android

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    458 spsx
    That's a very healthy level of self-awareness and self-acceptance, Sidney. I agree with you completely.

Wyote and flower like this.
  7. Somnium

Somnium Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    Somewhere in the middle of my story's book.
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    Personally, I haven’t had a vast professional experience, but after working at the same area for a really long time I finally came to realize that I love what I do.
    Education. It doesn’t have an strict hierarchy, neither a fixed job routine and I got to get out of my comfort zone, since I get to work with lots of people, at different ages.
    At first, I was the only judgmental one and towards my own self, I’m a perfectionist myself, but I’ve set my own limits.

As for the effects of my job on me, it reassured my insecurities, even though it wasn’t the cause of them. However, after learning little by little with myself, I could become a better professional and consequently, a more satisfied one.
    Since it may be interesting to others, I’ll mention a book highlight, which helped me not only with my own struggles but also when dealing with people:

[​IMG]