The "No Poo" method | INFJ Forum

The "No Poo" method

Somewhat; I use organic shampoos that don't contain SLS and most of them contain natural ingredients that can go "off." But I don't make my own unless it's a deep conditioner (then I may use eggs or yogurt or coconut oil or mayonnaise).

NO, that's gross.

I don't use bottled shampoo anymore and have stopped using conditioner. I use products from a company called Lush...most of the ingredients in their products are more natural and they use very little chemical ingredients. I have curly hair, and conitioner makes my hair horrible as all of the silicone in it weighs down the curl and turns it into a lank mess.

I used hair masks when my hair is in bad shape, but most of the time its fine.

I was interested in trying this method, but I'm not patient enough to wait for my hair to get over the greasy first phase!

Reactions: the and jyrffw54
I tried once. It was sort of mixed when it came to results. There was a definite difference for the good in terms of my hair health (although I've never been a product junkie, so it wasn't so horrible to begin with), but it eventually stopped being awesome and went back to being greasy annoyance (I only made it a month, so I may have not stuck in there long enough). The good thing that came out of it was that I learned how to take better care of my curls. Now I'm just really careful about what's in the shampoos/conditioners I use.

And Lush's shampoo bars are the awesome. I recommend everyone get at least one during their lifetime. Oh, Lush..

Lush is good. Lush is very, very good. I'd probably believe whatever they told me. ;)

I rarely use actual shampoo, because my hair is dry and curly, but I do wash with water and use conditioner and mousse and things like that. That seems to work well for me and keeps my hair looking okay most of the time.

Wow now I don't feel so bad for only using shampoo 2-3 times per week :D
[MENTION=5297]Neverwhere[/MENTION] I just did the same thing! I've spent a small fortune on conditioner. I thought I NEEDED it. I stopped using it a couple weeks ago and my hair is so much healthier. I had no idea. I feel kinda duped. I spent a lot of money on brand name salon products for over a decade.

I will probably still have to use anti-frizz something in the summer though.

I do like Lush products too but I have to buy them online and as far as they know they don't have them on Amazon so I usually only buy it as gifts. Wish someone would gift me some :)

Reactions: Jana
Wow now I don't feel so bad for only using shampoo 2-3 times per week :D
[MENTION=5297]Neverwhere[/MENTION] I just did the same thing! I've spent a small fortune on conditioner. I thought I NEEDED it. I stopped using it a couple weeks ago and my hair is so much healthier. I had no idea. I feel kinda duped. I spent a lot of money on brand name salon products for over a decade.

I will probably still have to use anti-frizz something in the summer though.

I know Cindy! I have curly hair and so it can be kind of dry. Conditioner is actually so bad for your hair, it's nuts. I'm convinced a lot of the hair loss I suffered was partialyly due to Aussie's 3 minute miracle. My hair has been in a bad way so I was told to use it three times a week.

MISTAKE

Do you have a LUSH store anywhere near you? You should check their stuff out...it's actually pretty amazing. I staretd using their products when my hair first started falling out almost two years ago and it's made such a massive difference.

I do need some sort of frizz ease product also, but I am yet to find one that fully does the trick!

I tried once. It was sort of mixed when it came to results. There was a definite difference for the good in terms of my hair health (although I've never been a product junkie, so it wasn't so horrible to begin with), but it eventually stopped being awesome and went back to being greasy annoyance (I only made it a month, so I may have not stuck in there long enough). The good thing that came out of it was that I learned how to take better care of my curls. Now I'm just really careful about what's in the shampoos/conditioners I use.

And Lush's shampoo bars are the awesome. I recommend everyone get at least one during their lifetime. Oh, Lush..

What do you do for your curls? I've had a bunch of hair loss lately, and I think it's finally started to calm down, which means I'm going to dye it soon. (I've started going grey, and there's a few pesky ones annoying me now!)

I use the LUSH shampoo bar "New" for hormonal hair loss. I swtiched to the seanick one, but it didn't do much for my hair. I think I'll use New for ever and ever...it makes my hair amazing. I stopped using conditioner, but I've been using the lush scalp treatment "Roots" twice a week, and thats made a big difference to my hair also.

My curls are really dry and frizzy at the moment, what do you do to keep yours moisturised and healthy?

I know Cindy! I have curly hair and so it can be kind of dry. Conditioner is actually so bad for your hair, it's nuts. I'm convinced a lot of the hair loss I suffered was partialyly due to Aussie's 3 minute miracle. My hair has been in a bad way so I was told to use it three times a week.

MISTAKE

Do you have a LUSH store anywhere near you? You should check their stuff out...it's actually pretty amazing. I staretd using their products when my hair first started falling out almost two years ago and it's made such a massive difference.

I do need some sort of frizz ease product also, but I am yet to find one that fully does the trick!

I have the same hair texture. Very very curly, dry hair. I've just used conditioner because...well I thought it was a part of feminine grooming. (My effing Mom didn't tell me how to do sh1t). I'm 30 years old and just now figuring out how to take care of this mop. :lol:

No, no LUSH near me, at least not the last time I checked. :(

OH yeah and I did find a good frizz product but it's super expensive. IT's called no frizz by Living Proof and you can find it at Sephora or Ulta but I would only use it if something special was coming up and it was in the middle of summer. It's entirely too expensive to use on a regular basis IMO. I buy it in the 3 oz carry on bottles for when I fly and those are 10 bucks a piece!

[MENTION=4871]CindyLou[/MENTION] thats disappointing :( I'm yet to find a product that full works for me. I find Frizz Ease products by John Frieda pretty good usually.

I like this stuff for my curly, fine, dry hair:

http://www.redken.com/products/haircare/all-soft/all-soft-argan-6-oil

I put it on my hair when it is damp and it really helps with the dryness. It is offensively expensive, however... but you only need a couple of drops. Not shampooing this type of hair very often is one of the main ways to keep it looking good -- that and hardly ever heat-styling it. A little self-acceptance and not trying to force yourself to look like someone totally different is a good thing too, working with Mother Nature instead of against her is a good idea, IMO! :D (As someone who has spent far too much time battling the old %^&$. )

[MENTION=5297]Neverwhere[/MENTION]: One of the biggest "ah ha" moments was when I discovered not using towels on my hair. That made a HUGE difference in the frizz factor. Instead I used a t-shirt like a turban and didn't rub my hair at all, so the curls were not all poofy and stressed out. Just delightful.

I also got back to not shampooing/conditioning every day (I had been in a horrible place of having to before the "no-poo" experiment). I think that's one of the biggest traps I can sometimes fall into that my hair really doesn't like. Even just switching to more natural things made a difference (and totally helped the longevity of the wash).

And as [MENTION=4680]this is only temporary[/MENTION] said, working with Mother Nature. I only straighten in very rare instances (when I'm wanting to feel some "straight" kind of sexy) and never blow dry (not that I ever really did that before). I don't battle my hair anymore (which is especially hard now that it's super short and does insane flippy things because of the curls).

I have long thick hair with a slight natural wave and it has benefited my hair a lot to shampoo much less than I used to. I do still shampoo my hair occasionally but I use a more "natural" shampoo that does not contain SLS or paraben ingredients and I only shampoo about 1-2 times per week. The rest of the time I either just rinse my hair with water, or condition (no cone/paraben conditioner) and rinse if my hair seems particularly unruly. I deep condition with coconut oil once in a while also.

this thread is significantly less interesting than the title led me to believe :p

but no, how would that work?

If I wash my hair with feces does it still count as the "no poo" method? *rimshot*

Reactions: linger