The mirror of society

Oranguh

Community Member
Nov 7, 2010
MBTI
LITA^2
Enneagram
Type 9w8, yeaaa :3
Last I watched this clip and I thought "Hey there are some contemporary societal mentalities interwoven in this clip" soo yea

Anyways, I wanted to create a thread that contained cultural faucets of our contemporary society. There are many things going on and it's very difficult to underpin the ethos that is predominant.

Aaanyways, this is how it's going to work. You will post a piece of culture (music, videos, pictures [anything from magazines to modern artwork], Literature, etc.) You explain where this is interwoven in our society, why it's interwoven (if you can), and just... talk about it, make it an essay if you want! Make it interesting, long, elaborate, whatever you want!

There is one rule though.
You are to stay as objective as possible. I know this is almost impossible to do... so I'll explain how I mean it.
If your piece of culture is "criticism" for example (or anything along those lines), you merely state that the criticism is apparent, do not "push through" with your own ideals, make your own thread for that.
Also, no flaming.

Anyways, this is the music video I thought was very... interesting
The fear by Lilly Allen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6DlOQIwaY"]YouTube - Lily Allen - The Fear[/ame]

what I wanted to concentrate was the postmodernistic characteristic of this piece. Because I find that this is one of the big question mark in society.

"I don't know what's right and what's real anymore
And I don't know how I'm meant to feel anymore
And when do you think it will all become clear?
'Cuz I'm being taken over by the Fear"

There is a question that reverberates the song "What is real? What are we supposed to be doing? What is good and what is wrong". The lack of aim and purpose seem to be the indulgence of all the vices that this song touches "Materialism, degrading of family roles, mass consumption, disregard for others, etc.) A kind of surrendering to how society has become because it's just how it is.
People seem to yearn for reason to how these things could have come to as they are, but the question seems to be forever unanswered, what is right what is real? In a sense, it's permissible apathy, because the alternative seems to be just as hollow in reason.

Perhaps it's a result of "superficiality" that people look for the truth with even greater fervor, leading them to come to the grim reality that it all seems to be real and it all seems to be fake.

The songs touches many aspects of "materialism" but the concept is played with a lot in an what seems to be "grim irony".
"I want loads of clothes and fuckloads of diamonds
I heard people die while they are trying to find them"

An apathetic stance on what clearly seems to be self aware sins, because it doesn't matter, as long as the simple ideal of society is met. It doesn't matter if the ideals are substantial at all, because it never truly seemed to matter.
"And I am a weapon of massive consumption
And its not my fault it's how I'm programmed to function"

"Now I'm not a saint but I'm not a sinner
Now everything is cool as long as I'm getting thinner"

There are probably more to say about it. But I'll just keep it short. :3

Anyways, contribute! I hope... that this will become an interesting thread that has many different perspectives and.. stuff

Reactions: muir