Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
Your thoughts on the mainstream media.

(I have an extremely low opinion of the msm, arising from a huge gap between what I think media should be, and what it is at present).

I have an extremely low opinion of the MSM as well. The MSM as we know it is dying. It won't survive another 5 years. It's lost any respectability or dependability anyway.

Noone really claims to be a part of the mainstream media so idk who to judge it by.

Reactions: dang
Canada has a law in place that makes it illegal to broadcast misleading news... The US does not have this. I wonder if that's part of the reason why Canada has its shit together more than the US. US journalism is more concerned with entertainment and ad revenue than with informing the public. I also don't think networks like FOX news and Breitbart should be allowed to exist. People in the US are not informed.

Reactions: La Sagna
10556470_864967480213455_5100730829840727896_n.png

Canada has a law in place that makes it illegal to broadcast misleading news... The US does not have this. I wonder if that's part of the reason why Canada has its shit together more than the US. US journalism is more concerned with entertainment and ad revenue than with informing the public. I also don't think networks like FOX news and Breitbart should be allowed to exist. People in the US are not informed.

LOL. If we do have such a law in place, they're taking excessive liberties with it. Our media is heavily, heavily biased and selective. Especially all the Toronto-based news sources, such as CP24. I had the immense pleasure of being behind the scenes following around the press-prep back when I was involved in a certain party's campaign. I can tell you right now that they don't prep everyone equally, and they certainly don't offer everyone equal air time and any criticism is either heavily edited or they choose the biggest idiots to express it.

It's the same shit, different country.

Last edited:
LOL. If we do have such a law in place, they're taking excessive liberties with it. Our media is heavily, heavily biased and selective. Especially all the Toronto-based news sources, such as CP24. I had the immense pleasure of being behind the scenes following around the press-prep back when I was involved in camp Trudeau. I can tell you right now that they don't prep everyone equally, and they certainly don't offer everyone equal air time and any criticism is either heavily edited or they choose the biggest idiots to express it.

9127506.jpg

Canadian News in a nutshell

My point exactly.

Reactions: CindyLou
LOL. If we do have such a law in place, they're taking excessive liberties with it. Our media is heavily, heavily biased and selective. Especially all the Toronto-based news sources, such as CP24. I had the immense pleasure of being behind the scenes following around the press-prep back when I was involved in a certain party's campaign. I can tell you right now that they don't prep everyone equally, and they certainly don't offer everyone equal air time and any criticism is either heavily edited or they choose the biggest idiots to express it.

well shit.

Reactions: sassafras

That last line isn't so much true anymore. We can get our news elsewhere and people are. We can even get the silly analyst spin from people online too. There is zero reason to read the NYT, buy a magazine or to watch FOX/CNN/ABC news. I love how the lame media says there is such a problem with misinformation. That's because they want us to get it from them.

The sound of their death rattle is hilarious to me. They deserve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: the and Wyote
9127506.jpg

Canadian News in a nutshell
The laws say that you can't broadcast lies as news. This was not a lie. This was the truth. If people don't think it should be reported that's a whole other issue, but I personally think that the mayor of my city consorting with drug dealers and smoking crack should be reported.

The funniest part I find is that the people that I know that yell the loudest that we shouldn't believe anything from mainstream media report their information from dubious sources who also have agendas and hidden motives. They pick and choose what they believe according to how it backs up their personal world view.

How about we be judicious and careful with all forms of information. Throwing out everything that comes from mainstream media is ridiculous, and blindly believing obscure sources without checking if the information is factual is also ridiculous. As is, of course, blindly believing mainstream media or government. A critical mind is crucial to sort through all the information.

Unfortunately, many people confuse disbelieving anything 'mainstream' and believing other sources as having a critical mind. That's just having a different bias and being blinded by ideology. Those who truly have a critical mind will question everything and believe things that have enough evidence to back it up and make it credible, whether it backs up what they would like to believe or not. If you paint everything right wing with a broad brush or everything left wing with a broad brush you don't think critically.

You underestimate the stupidity of the masses. Hopefully that's just my extreme cynicism talking but I doubt it. Free thinkers will go to alternative sources, everyone else will continue to consume Facebook or whatever controlled media format comes after. More illusion of freedom.

The funniest part I find is that the people that I know that yell the loudest that we shouldn't believe anything from mainstream media report their information from dubious sources who also have agendas and hidden motives. They pick and choose what they believe according to how it backs up their personal world view.

How about we be judicious and careful with all forms of information. Throwing out everything that comes from mainstream media is ridiculous, and blindly believing obscure sources without checking if the information is factual is also ridiculous. As is, of course, blindly believing mainstream media or government. A critical mind is crucial to sort through all the information.

Unfortunately, many people confuse disbelieving anything 'mainstream' and believing other sources as having a critical mind. That's just having a different bias and being blinded by ideology. Those who truly have a critical mind will question everything and believe things that have enough evidence to back it up and make it credible, whether it backs up what they would like to believe or not. If you paint everything right wing with a broad brush or everything left wing with a broad brush you don't think critically.

I know where you're coming from but there are some serious issues with the mainstream media. A good documentary about it is "Big Boys Gone Bananas" it used to be available on netflix but I think they've taken it off. It is REALLY worth watching because it incidentally highlights things like astroturfing, corporations issuing SLAPP lawsuits to stop certain information from ever coming out or going to court, and also the practice of planting stories, covering one of the most famous ones, The Chiquita incident of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Once I began to see how newspapers really operate and how media sources like CNN MSNBC and even Fox select on what to report on, you begin to realize there is always information being omitted and even if the mainstream media tells one truth, it's a game of two truths and one lie.

blindly believing obscure sources without checking if the information is factual is also ridiculous. As is, of course, blindly believing mainstream media or government. A critical mind is crucial to sort through all the information.

Umm, I'll have you know that chemtrails911.com is like totally legit. The Kardashians and the central bank are the true puppetmasters. I don't buy all that "critical thinking" newspeak. I know what's really goin' on.

Reactions: dang, the and Wyote
That last line isn't so much true anymore. We can get our news elsewhere and people are. We can even get the silly analyst spin from people online too. There is zero reason to read the NYT, buy a magazine or to watch FOX/CNN/ABC news. I love how the lame media says there is such a problem with misinformation. That's because they want us to get it from them.

It's disconcerting that the facts the msm reports always neatly fit into a consistent narrative. Either the world is an extremely black-and-white place, with a very few, well-defined roles; or the msm is very narrative-selective about the facts they choose to present. (Emphasising some tenuous facts, and omitting more substantial points).

I personally find it nearly impossible to get a sense of what has actually happened, without first scanning at least a dozen news articles on the subject... and even then, one has the sense that there could be far more to any situation, than the various msm sources either report, or allude to.

It's like listening to politicians: what is omitted is often more telling than what is said.

Reactions: CindyLou and Wyote
I know where you're coming from but there are some serious issues with the mainstream media. A good documentary about it is "Big Boys Gone Bananas" it used to be available on netflix but I think they've taken it off. It is REALLY worth watching because it incidentally highlights things like astroturfing, corporations issuing SLAPP lawsuits to stop certain information from ever coming out or going to court, and also the practice of planting stories, covering one of the most famous ones, The Chiquita incident of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Once I began to see how newspapers really operate and how media sources like CNN MSNBC and even Fox select on what to report on, you begin to realize there is always information being omitted and even if the mainstream media tells one truth, it's a game of two truths and one lie.

Of course there's huge problems with the way news is reported. It's atrocious in the U.S. but not as bad here in Canada. Even here, where they aren't blatantly lying and twisting things, they still get to choose what they report or don't report, and exactly how they report it.

That documentary sounds interesting. I may watch that when I have the time.

here is the trailer for all ya'll who might be interested in it