The Hacker's Manifesto

Kavalan

Has risen
Sep 16, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
1W9
A friend of mine who's a CS major posted this on his facebook. Thought it was an interesting read and makes you wonder how much it can translate across all fields. Granted being a product of the computer age makes it center stage.

Enjoy
Another one got caught today, it

Reactions: Questingpoet
glider.png

Thats quite fascinating, though I get the feeling the personal is just a tad egotistical...
To be so concerned with the label 'criminal'...heh... it amuses me.
It's an NT no doubt...hrm...ENTJ perhaps?

This is a pretty good description of grey-hat hacking. It would be more relevant if the definition of "hacking", like "epic", hadn't become so diluted. No, CNN, guessing Sarah Palin's e-mail security questions is not hacking. Social engineering, maybe. But not hacking.

I agree that it is very much an ENTJ mindset. The world is a box of legos, and hackers build their own world, driven by a will to power.

True hacking is not about malicious intent or using knowledge that is gained for anything but learning more. It is about tearing something down to figure out how it works (hacking it apart).

Cracking is what is most commonly referred to by those that intend to 'hack' into a system for any purpose other than to learn it.

White Hat, Grey Hat, Black Hat: all are based around intent. Hacking in its purest form considers none.

From Wikipedia

The Jargon File, a compendium of hacker slang, defines hacker as "A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and stretching their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary." [1] The Request for Comments (RFC) 1392, the Internet Users' Glossary, amplifies this meaning as "A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular." [2] These hackers are disappointed (see definition controversy) by the mass media and general public's usage of the word hacker to refer to security breakers, calling them

Reactions: DimensionX
I found this well written and a fascinating look inside as well. Thanks!

^^ I thought I'd bump up this thread, as I am currently being hacked by an individual. I have a suspicion of who it is, and am dealing with it. But it sucks, when someone is going through my stuff... ^^