The Final Step. Fe or Fi? | INFJ Forum

The Final Step. Fe or Fi?

Dec 10, 2014
MBTI
INXX
Enneagram
4/5w5/4
Hello. Ive resolved my identity crisis. I realised that my enneagram is either a 4w5 or a 5w4, Leaning more to 5w4 though. Either way, both are equally strong.

My main question is about chameleonism and Fe, or Fi, whatever it is. After indulging in descriptions of INFJs and INFPs, I feel that i relate more to the INFJ "stereotypes". My approach toward emotion is very analytical and I've confused myself for an INTJ, though, my dad is an INTJ and we can't FULLY relate to each other. The main thing is this:

I feel emotions, deep inside. I am quite expressive, though i react the way I'm supposed to. Meaning, I am constantly aware of the people around me, of their vibes, their moods and just them. I am truthful in my replies, but I really am too aware of others. I tend to take in their feelings, i may not show it, but i ponder over their worries too. Its almost as if it becomes my problem. I help out when i can, though emotional saturation and apathy tend to get the better of me. Its this feeling of being consumed by other's emotions, and not being able to differentiate yours from theirs immediately. It takes time. I do get to the root of their problems though. Anyway, Fe types are supposed to be.. outwardly expressive. though i am not. I am expressive, but only to a certain extend. everything else takes place inside, emotions mainly. Therefore if I'm asked a question, i don't want to hurt the questioner and i sort of flow along because i worry about.. hmm. like saying no would create some sort of emotional reaction towards me and i would pick that up and spend the next few hours beating myself up over that. I do not know if this is a form of Fe, or Fi. My outward reaction, really is based on the other person, unless its someone really dear to me.

In terms of chameleonism, i tend to be able to get along with everyone, its just the chameleonism of feelings that affect me. If i look at it logically, their feelings become mine, i spend hours separating mine from theirs and my intellectual pursuits remain stagnant. I can blend in with everyone, if i have to. in that sense i don't bother about uniqueness, its the actions that matter more. I tend to start the fire and fade back into my head, or heart, or whatever. Do excuse my tone. I don't mean to seem rude. Usually there is a lot of dialogue going on in my head, thoughts, which is why i confused myself for a INTJ.

So am i utilizing Fe or Fi? Do feel free to probe with more questions. This does feel very paradoxical and weird as i might be a 5w4 with a fe type, if it is such. Its a very, very tough situation. Living normally is tough, but manageable for now.

Reactions: Gaze
Awareness of other people's reactions and moods sounds like Fe to me. Fe always has radar out for others and is extremely aware of reactions and potential reactions. Harmonious relations and consideration for those around you are very important. The thought of upsetting someone through words or actions is in itself upsetting. An another introvert with aux Fe, that's my two cents :B

Reactions: Gaze
I feel emotions, deep inside. I am quite expressive, though i react the way I'm supposed to. Meaning, I am constantly aware of the people around me, of their vibes, their moods and just them. I am truthful in my replies, but I really am too aware of others. I tend to take in their feelings, i may not show it, but i ponder over their worries too. Its almost as if it becomes my problem. I help out when i can, though emotional saturation and apathy tend to get the better of me. Its this feeling of being consumed by other's emotions, and not being able to differentiate yours from theirs immediately. It takes time. I do get to the root of their problems though. Anyway, Fe types are supposed to be.. outwardly expressive. though i am not. I am expressive, but only to a certain extend. everything else takes place inside, emotions mainly. Therefore if I'm asked a question, i don't want to hurt the questioner and i sort of flow along because i worry about.. hmm. like saying no would create some sort of emotional reaction towards me and i would pick that up and spend the next few hours beating myself up over that. I do not know if this is a form of Fe, or Fi. My outward reaction, really is based on the other person, unless its someone really dear to me.

In terms of chameleonism, i tend to be able to get along with everyone, its just the chameleonism of feelings that affect me. If i look at it logically, their feelings become mine, i spend hours separating mine from theirs and my intellectual pursuits remain stagnant. I can blend in with everyone, if i have to. in that sense i don't bother about uniqueness, its the actions that matter more. I tend to start the fire and fade back into my head, or heart, or whatever. Do excuse my tone. I don't mean to seem rude. Usually there is a lot of dialogue going on in my head, thoughts, which is why i confused myself for a INTJ.

So am i utilizing Fe or Fi? Do feel free to probe with more questions. This does feel very paradoxical and weird as i might be a 5w4 with a fe type, if it is such. Its a very, very tough situation. Living normally is tough, but manageable for now.

This sounds like Fi. There's a tendency to confuse awareness of other's feelings with Fe. Social harmony is Fe. But Fe is not always aware of individual feelings. Fe is more concerned with propriety and keeping up appearances. Fi is more about being true to oneself and how one feels. The comments in bold reflect Fi vs. Fe. Fi is more likely to respond to the world based on comfort level and relative to who they are interacting with, while Fe will likely show the same kind of response to everyone, regardless of who they are. Blending in doesn't mean someone is not concerned about stating true to personal values. It simply means, in that moment, they'll put aside adherence to personal values to focus on getting done what needs to be done even if that means focusing on meeting Fe needs. I am supposed to be INFP, and I'm very task oriented. It's a tough balance between facilitating focus on Te vs. Fe. As an educator, I often have to often suppress my Fi to accommodate Fe. I can also be the chameleon and oddly enough, people don't know that this social aspect of me is not the most natural part of me as a person. So, it is easy to misunderstand Fi vs. Fe.

No doubt about it. That's extraverted feeling.

Feeling is a judging function.

Fi is when you base your judgement/actions on principles that you feel are right.
Fe is when you base your judgement/actions on the principles of others (society/friends/community/culture/family).

Being outwardly expressive isn't linked to types with Fe.
Rather it has to do with extraverts vs introverts.

Chameleonism is very much Te or Fe. INFJs and INTJs are chameleons.
They base their judgements/actions on their surroundings, whether it's their factual environment (Te) or social environment (Fe).

If you want to know whether you're INFJ or INFP I advise you to read stuff on the difference between J and P. Not Fi and Fe or Ni and Ne.

Hello. Ive resolved my identity crisis.
I wouldn't base an identity crisis on any pseudo scientific typology that tries to categorise people into a limited amount of types.

Hello. Ive resolved my identity crisis. I realised that my enneagram is either a 4w5 or a 5w4, Leaning more to 5w4 though. Either way, both are equally strong.

My main question is about chameleonism and Fe, or Fi, whatever it is. After indulging in descriptions of INFJs and INFPs, I feel that i relate more to the INFJ "stereotypes". My approach toward emotion is very analytical and I've confused myself for an INTJ, though, my dad is an INTJ and we can't FULLY relate to each other. The main thing is this:

Wait no. You are the one I don't know again. I know a guy who also does not capitalize the letter i infrequently. Hrrm. He gets really really mad. REALLY REALLY mad. Possibly ISFJ. Reason is that you fit the rules of the Gamma Quadra. http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/15-Socionics-Four-Quadra

Past this, it really doesn't matter. Your friends are your quadra. But the idea is that I will know when you start communicating with me, by the way you communicate, we shall learn.

There seems to be an amount of Gammas here. Typically defined as being good spellers. This could be ISFj. I don't know how ISFj acts.

Last edited:
Well [MENTION=12965]Alomoes[/MENTION], don't get me wrong, but i really don't care if I capitalize I at all. That and i am typing all this using my phone, without autocorrect. Speaking about myself forces me to break down some personal walls. The whole idea is to get the message out there. The process doesnt matter, as long as its understandable. That and ive never gotten an S type before. Its either INTJ or INFJ. I am aware of the huge differences there. My tritype is 5w4 sx/so 4w5 and 8w9.

MBTi and Enneagram measure completely different things, so I wouldn't lean too heavily on letting your enneagram results lead you to your MBTi. I think you'd have to take an inventory of how much you use each cognitive function (including Fe and Fi) to get a better idea of what your type might be. It's hard to start from a description or traits and work backwards: better to start with the building blocks and build upon that.

If you haven't already, this is a good inventory for measuring your cognitive functions:
http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

- When someone in your group say something stupid or something you strongly don't agree with, do you pretend to agree with them just to not make them feel bad? Think about how often you did this. (Fe)
- What comes more natural to you; finding what you like/dislike, or what others may like/dislike? (Fi vs. Fe)
- Do you often adjust your behavior to balance with the person you're talking to, e.g. if they're quiet, you'd try to be more talkative, if they're talkative, you're be more quiet. (Fe)
- Do you often think about how a person you care about can improve in some aspects of their lives, to the point of obsession, but end up feel like you can't say it because you just know they would feel like you'd trample over their independence (Ni+Fe), or are you more often angry how others seem to always trample over your decision and don't care about who you really are or want to do (Fi).
- When trying to convince someone, would you rather tell someone directly what you think (Te), or instead of saying bluntly, you'd rather use your diplomatic skill or manipulation (Fe)?

It's fum...the final step is Fum.. everyone knows that.
Fe, Fi, Foe, Fum.....

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit