The Fear Of Endings | INFJ Forum

The Fear Of Endings

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
I've sat back tonight after finishing a dreadfully sad story and realized I am terrified of the ending to my tale.

This story was about a sweet girl who was given to live for thousands of years to save the lives of everyone on her world. Her friends and family weren't. They died around her of old age.

I don't know about you but I spend most of my days quietly hiding from inevitability of this kind. We are in the most interesting century in the most interesting eon that there has ever been. The Singularity is breathing down our necks. Total social collapse could happen at any moment. Financial ruin is coming this year. Transcension theory says that within what could be our extremely long lives we might develop technologically and intellectually to the point we're no longer bound by space and time.

We might exist in almost endless security living in inner-space. We could become product of our own will rather than the whim of physics. This nebulae wherein we have been birthed from star-stuff might be womb and cradle for a new collective of entities breathing neutrons and dancing with quarks.

I find this at odds with so much of conventional wisdom. Death is inevitable. Change is always for the worse. Pain is part of living.

Why? We have but one life and therein we're told these things are permanent and unchangeable yet the car has existed less than a hundred and fifty years. The cell phone, a magical device which allows god-like communication between two sides of the world, is barely twenty years old. The internet in it's current form is less than a decade.

Why should I have been told so much to fear impermanence? Why this insistence on accepting death or escaping it through 'divine favor'. Pray and God will make sure there's a happy ending.

Fuck God.

Why can we not make this ending ourselves? We may live to transcend. You and I, sitting at our desks behind our computers today with all of our worries may exist in that moment when thought shrinks to a point too small for the universe to contain and too diverse for it to control with it's petty amalgam of physical laws.

What will it feel like? What sensation will there be?

Will we fear?

Will that be the end?

Goodbye is a wonderful word. The finality and closure it brings... the complete satisfaction.

[MENTION=2575]Chessie[/MENTION]

I think it comes down to having tolerance for uncertainty, whilst realising and maintaining that we create our own reality.

Change is inevitable and it is good. It is life. Death is a part of life and life is a part of death. Pain and joy are the awareness of life. Suffering can teach us how to not suffer. Nothing is ever static. The flow of creation and existance is infinte. What is the point of of any fear or anxiety for the future. We live right now. In the present, the infinite present. In this moment where all possibilities exist and we personally direct that flow. In this moment we make our choices and we live our life. That is all that matters.

Personally, I have come to the conculsion that there is absolutely nothing to fear, not even fear itself.