The fate of Garfield | INFJ Forum

The fate of Garfield

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
Does anyone remember the discussion or debate about what the Garfield strips were really about?

I think it was a strip which was run on either an april fools day or as a halloween special which kicked off the discussion.

Garfield is featured waking up in an old box with old blanket, the house he is in is obviously in ruins and abandoned and he is totally alone.

The speculation afterwards was that Garfield was in fact a ghost and the other, possibly more sinister one, which I kind of like for its horror, was that Garfield has this whole time been in the abandoned house, hence his fixating upon food and the company of Ottie and his master, long gone, while he dies of loneliness and starvation.

Now I know the author since dismissed the whole deal saying it was just a one off and everyone was reading too much into it all and should just read the strips and have a laugh. What do you think? Was it being overthought or was it awesome that speculation?

I thought the idea that he could have been abandoned lent a sort of depth to the whole idea which was abscent previously, maybe a little depressing but hey.