The 'Evil' Function | INFJ Forum

The 'Evil' Function

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
According to Beebe's theories on how functions interact with one another, the 8th function is the 'Demon' (the inverse of any type's dominant function) and is assumed to be considered 'evil' by that person. For example, for INFJs and INTJs, this would be Si.

However, I've almost unanimously seen that INTJs view Fe as 'evil' and INFJs view 'Te' as 'evil', and at worst simply find Si annoying at times. An overwhelming majority of INFJs have cited ESTJ as the most toxic type, while I've read that INTJs find ESFJs to be the most toxic. My INFP friends seem to be the most offended by Se, while my ENTP friends tell me they hate Fi with a passion.

This is leading me to believe that the function most likely to be seen as 'evil' is actually the 7th function, and not the 8th, as it is both the opposite polarity of the dominant function and opposite approach of the secondary. Ni + Fe = Fi inverted is Te. Ni + Te = Ti inverted is Fe. Fi + Ne = Ni inverted is Se. Ne + Ti = Te inverted is Fi.

Seeing as INFJs are always right, and Te actually is evil (hehe, just kidding), I think this theory has merit.

What do you think? What function most rubs you as 'evil' more than the others?

How do you see a function as evil?
I have no idea which function is 'evil' or negative for me. Do you mean a cognitive weakness?

No, no. I am the most evil. That is why I get so much rep.

Reactions: 1 person
If you see Te and Fe as functions that basically articulate Ni and Si, you'll see where the hate and clash comes from.

I'm probably an INTP, and Fi bothers me even more than Fe, which is because Fi and Ti are like two sides of the coin, they essentially work in the same way but with a different focus, and it creates a pretty unbridgeable difference. Also Si, because people with dom/aux Si always put down my Ne way of communication.

Reactions: knight in battle
How do you see a function as evil?
I have no idea which function is 'evil' or negative for me. Do you mean a cognitive weakness?

I genuinely used to consider people who I now know to be Te dominant or secondary 'evil'. The sensibilities that I now know are Te used to really rub me as an evil streak in them. One of the reasons I'm so thankful for the MBTI is that it has dispelled this sensibility, but my initial impression was that it was morally bad and lined up well with most of the things I would have personally put on a list if I had to define 'evil' - which means that my sensibilities of what was 'good' stemmed from my base functions and the antithesis of that was prone to being viewed by me as 'evil'.

I don't know. I don't feel that I'm constantly battling one cognitive function just to function.
Maybe it's all perspective. If something seems a bit off to me, I try to work out what it is and correct it.. to maintain equilibrium...instead of despising that part of myself.

And well, there are people in the world that I've run into that I have thought were bad news.. but I couldn't boil it down to one cognitive function..

Reactions: VH
Does Fi bother you more than Se?

Se doesn't really bother me. It can be annoying sometimes, but it never made me twitch in frustration like Fi does.

What is annoying to you about Se?

I'm sorry, but statements like that do not translate.

Reactions: Oranguh
What is annoying to you about Se?

I'm sorry, but statements like that do not translate.

How about disturbing my thinking time and trying to invade my focus?

I've been annoyed by every type at some point. :D

I wouldn't call it 'evil' but rather antagonistic to the user's dominant function from an archetypal perspective.

With that said, I've never considered a function evil, but I have found some functions cumbersome to Ni's purposes. Ti for example is very 'antagonistic' to Ni because while Ni strives to have definitional freedom and transcend the paradigms of a structural reality, Ti strives to label and categorize which inevitably constraints the amount of freedom that a concept may portray. Ni would rather keep perceiving infinitively and making associations about inflowing information and shifting it to fit its(Ni's) purpose.

I have an INTP friend that gets rather annoyed at me because I cannot conceptualize my thoughts to him, I have to explain many of my thoughts through analogies or metaphors to get to the point. I have to tell him that my thoughts are rather non-linear, and he begins to be skeptical that I even have a point to what I'm saying.

Opinion said:
The auxiliary function (Parent) is what drives our behavior and controls our interaction with the outside world. The dominant function (Ego) is our most natural, raw impulse that needs a direction. It makes sense, that the function that is opposite of the auxiliary would be more threatening to our Quest than a function with the opposite attitude of our dominant.

In my view, the "demon" tends to be less of a threat, and more of an enigma. It's something we don't immediately understand, but empathize with and relate to, because the function is extremely similar in both function and temperament. It's something that resides far from our psyche as a point of interest, but not particularly threatening. The PoLR/trickster is what opposes our sense of control. It opposes the direction (Auxiliary) of our dominant, which is why it might be seen as more of a threat.

ENFJs have a deep desire to be a part of the Group (Fe), but ENTJs also have the same desire (Te). Both these types have a certain need to be considered part of the whole. The temperament (EJ) is similar. However, with ISTJs, it is not so much the group feeling that is shared, nor is there any propensity towards change. There is no empathy, rather there is resistance. Which makes ISTJ the type most likely to make the ENFJ frustrated/drained.

As an IxFJ, Te is what threatens the direction of where your dominant function is being let out. For example, my Ni is directed towards a Fe-based goal, and I wouldn't mind interacting with an ISFJ who is also directing his/her Si towards a Fe-based goal. Also, I wouldn't mind interacting with an ISTJ much either who is directing his/her Si towards a Te-based goal. I can understand these people (superficially) just as they can understand me. I wouldn't go out of my way to influence the ISTJ and vice versa. We are the same temperament (IJ).

However, a Te-dom who threatens to question and change my Fe-based goal is probably going to be resisted. Different temperament (EJ) and completely different mode of operation.

As an ENxJ (as an example), Si is what threatens the direction. Your Fe/Te is being directed towards an Ni-based goal (external change/integration), and Si is probably going to seem threatening.

Edit: I don't want to mislead people, but the above was written by myself on another website, which is why I put it inside a quote.

Last edited:
Reactions: jyrffw54
I find this concept very interesting @VH... I must ponder it some more... I haven't really thought of labeling it in this way, except to say that I find most of my annoyance comes straight from E, but perhaps I'm not able to pick out said extroverts other cognitions which are clashing with mine.

I wouldn't say that I find Te evil, but... I guess I resent its authority? ESxJs get to define what is acceptable, what is "normal" in society, and I almost never see eye to eye with them. I don't see the function as inherently evil, but I think these types' opinions have been validated so much that you can't convince them they're wrong. They will point to "the way things are" to prove that they're right, while they're the ones that made things that way in the first place because they're the majority and they set up things in their favor. The "evil" of ESTJ is a product of this. Imagine Ni in a position of that much power—imagine trying to convince someone that their Ni view of "how the world should be" is wrong! We'd be just as bad, if not worse.

I agree with this too. I find the Te/Fi axis to be annoying sometimes, but it's also very fascinating -- especially if you can discover the Fi cause to a Te reaction, at least in some people.

The Te/Fi in my ENFP sister annoys the shit out of me sometimes. Particularly when its based on an insecurity she has -- she becomes like a horrible ESTJ stereotype -- aggressively opinionated and stubborn.

I find it extremely difficult to come to terms with Te. It is completely and utterly not how I would ever want to operate.

Tertiary Te can be extremely ugly too.

Si I'm kind of neutral about.

I've come across some absolutely, down right evil ESTJs. I don't like them one bit. I don't care if that's bad typology. I would love to experience a "good" ESTJ though.