The end is nigh (Star Wars the Old Republic) | INFJ Forum

The end is nigh (Star Wars the Old Republic)

I really hate to be a downer, but I have to agree with the one commenter who complained about most of it being reused. Except for the cowboy part, gotta love e some space cowboys.

Outside of stuff being reused though, it was a very epic fight scene.

Cinematics =/= Actual gameplay.

Fact.

This is Bioware we're talking about... the people who brought us Knight of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc. This game is going to be amazing. I've been paying very close attention to all of the developments. They're doing it right.

And Bioware have never made an MMO and every MMO published by a big company since WoW has been a clone of it. Also Bioware have really slipped up on Dragon Age 2 and I only hope to a non-specific deity that travesty doesn't carry over to Mass Effect 3. In fact Bioware are losing credibility as a company pretty rapidly.

The only MMOs I'm currently interested in is Archeage, TERA, The Secret World, and CCP's World of Darkness MMO.

And Bioware have never made an MMO and every MMO published by a big company since WoW has been a clone of it.

Be ready. This game is going to be a WoW clone, but it is going to be a well done WoW clone with Lightsabers and space combat.

Also Bioware have really slipped up on Dragon Age 2 and I only hope to a non-specific deity that travesty doesn't carry over to Mass Effect 3. In fact Bioware are losing credibility as a company pretty rapidly.

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!? Dragon Age 2 was much better than Dragon Age Origins. Did you just blow through and not engage the roleplaying elements? You will miss a LOT of content if you do that. As far as I can tell, they're refining their process. My hopes for Mass Effect 3 are profoundly high, as Mass Effect 2 is in my opinion the greatest video game ever made.

The only MMOs I'm currently interested in is Archeage, TERA, The Secret World, and CCP's World of Darkness MMO.

I didn't know there was a WoD MMO. CCP is the people who do EVE Online (It was Earth and Beyond when I beta tested it). They seem very INTJ-centric.

Be ready. This game is going to be a WoW clone, but it is going to be a well done WoW clone with Lightsabers and space combat.

And I've already played as much WoW as I can handle before my eyes fall out of their sockets in boredom. To put this into perspecive, I've not once had a max level character before reaching this state. Nothing about the game is engaging to me and I don't expect lightsabers to change that.

I didn't know there was a WoD MMO. CCP is the people who do EVE Online (It was Earth and Beyond when I beta tested it). They seem very INTJ-centric.

You're talking to someone who bleeds pixels. CCP aquired the WoD license a while ago and have been developing an MMO of it as well as Dust 514 (A console fps set in the Eve universe and actually merges with it). It would seem that CCP aren't all about spaceships and spreadsheets after all.

OMG! I wants this game!
This appeals to my geekenss. I've been looking forward to this game for a very long time.

Side rant:

It's a really nice looking trailer but I will be so fucking glad when we grow past this trend in games where everything has to be so utterly EPIC and over-the-top all the time. Did any of you watch Microsoft's keynote at this years E3? 90% of what they showed is exactly that - but just turned up a few degrees.

I know that's much of what these things about, but if I see one more dramatic slow-mo shot of a chiseled-faced, scruffy looking badass just strolling through a hail of gunfire, someone make a death-defying, acrobatic leap towards a vehicle and grabbing the edge with just their finger tips, the camera zoom in to someone's facial expression while they're being killed, impossibly huge explosions, the cliche use of ending each trailer with a dramatic pause in the dialog and then delivering that last definitively spoken line that's usually something like: "It has begun" or "now is the time" or "welcome to your destiny" and, worst of all, the absurd over-use of grand symphonic scores for the game music -- then I am going to vomit.

Yeah. When we get past all that (or at least get away from relying on it so much), it's going to be a good day.

Side rant:

It's a really nice looking trailer but I will be so fucking glad when we grow past this trend in games where everything has to be so utterly EPIC and over-the-top all the time. Did any of you watch Microsoft's keynote at this years E3? 90% of what they showed is exactly that - but just turned up a few degrees.

I know that's much of what these things about, but if I see one more dramatic slow-mo shot of a chiseled-faced, scruffy looking badass just strolling through a hail of gunfire, someone make a death-defying, acrobatic leap towards a vehicle and grabbing the edge with just their finger tips, the camera zoom in to someone's facial expression while they're being killed, impossibly huge explosions, the cliche use of ending each trailer with a dramatic pause in the dialog and then delivering that last definitively spoken line that's usually something like: "It has begun" or "now is the time" or "welcome to your destiny" and, worst of all, the absurd over-use of grand symphonic scores for the game music -- then I am going to vomit.

Yeah. When we get past all that (or at least get away from relying on it so much), it's going to be a good day.

But it's all cinematics. They're not at all relevant to the game's actual content. If they were then it'd be a movie instead of a game.

If you're looking for 'not epic', try Fallout or Red Dead Redemption (or as we call it Grand Theft Horse). There's a growing trend in 'realistic' gaming. It'll blossom pretty soon. However, Star Wars is by nature EPIC. I'll give this one a pass considering the franchise.

Last edited:
But it's all cinematics. They're not at all relevant to the game's actual content. If they were then it'd be a movie instead of a game.

Agreed. Compare the WoW cinematics to actual gameplay.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc"]YouTube - ‪World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Cinematic Trailer‬‏[/ame]

vs.​

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zll_jAKvarw"]YouTube - ‪Leeroy Jenkins‬‏[/ame]

They're not at all relevant to the game's actual content.

Which is exactly what part of the problem is. It's time to quit making cookie-cutter trailers that are dialed up to level 11 on the epic-meter. They're overdone at this point and don't give you a real taste of what the game is actually like.

I mean, they all need advertisements (which is what a trailer is) - but my point is that I'd like to see some innovation that goes beyond "moar dramaz!!".

Thats a line thats been crossed by more then a few games, MGS4 and Heavy Rain to name a few.

Edit: games becoming more movie like that is,

Thats a line thats been crossed by more then a few games, MGS4 and Heavy Rain to name a few.

Edit: games becoming more movie like that is,

Heavy Rain I'd forgive as it was sold on the fact. I wouldn't play it for a game experience.

See: Final Fantasy XIII

Anyway, seeing as I'm not into MMO games, I'll probably skip this installment. If the game followed a kind of Demon's Souls style of play, where it acted like an MMO but wasn't truly an MMO, then I might be tempted to give this a shot.

I did and was not a fan.

Neither was I. I was just mentioning it because it fits into the category of more movie than game. Even the gameplay is more movie-like than game-like with the auto-combat feature.