THE DONALD STERLING CASE

problemz

Community Member
Jun 6, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
SX 4 or 5
We have had another gigantic PC fracas. This time it is said that the Clippers' owner was racist. That's not technically a crime, but it has nevertheless been used to assess a 2.5 million dollar fine, and to justify stripping Donald Sterling of the right to visit any NBA game, and also that he may no longer be an owner of the team.

One of his top accusers is a former guard named Kevin Johnson. Johnson is the mayor of Sacramento. Johnson has been convicted of raping teen girls who were in a program for underserved youth. He now sits in Donald Sterling's spot beside the Clippers' games, and is apparently considered a good replacement for Sterling.

It has been said that because 70% of the NBA is black, or maybe 80% (figures vary), the rules should be made by and for black men. This might mean that anything said against black males is going to be hit and hit hard. Anything on the other hand that hurts vulnerable teen girls won't matter at all.

How many teen girls play at the top levels of the NBA?

As this case unfurls, I am more and more disappointed in the standards of American journalism, and American law. I love to watch the NBA, but I am more and more sickened by the double standards. It's not yet enough to make me stop watching, though. I want OKC to win. I think Kevin Durant may still have moral scruples. But not Kevin Johnson! OMG! Is suggesting that your girlfriend not associate with black men as awful as actually raping teen girls? As this story morphs, I think we will become more and more aware of how awful the new PC regime is, and how awful and unconstitutional our judgement has become. What should be considered a crime worthy of lifetime ostracism?

http://deadspin.com/the-man-who-helped-bring-down-donald-sterling-is-an-ass-1576960521

Last edited:
At what point has the American legal system entered into this issue?

This whole fiasco is just a ruse. The fact that his gf is multiracial puts up a red flag when I hear the media try to sell him to me as a hardcore racist.

That aside, trading a rapist for a racist is not an even trade and makes the whole thing even more suspect.

This whole fiasco is just a ruse. The fact that his gf is multiracial puts up a red flag when I hear the media try to sell him to me as a hardcore racist.

That aside, trading a rapist for a racist is not an even trade and makes the whole thing even more suspect.

So, because his mistress is biracial, that means he's not a racist?

Back in the days of slavery, many slave owners bedded the women that they owned. So does that mean they weren't racists?

The man is definitely a racist. He has a track record of showing his distaste for minorities. Bottom line is, the players will not play if he remains in ownership of the Clippers, so he's gotta go.

And no, it's not against the law to be a racist, but as the owner of the Clippers franchise, he has a responsibility to the team and the NBA to watch what he says. He has put a stain on the league with his hate speech.

Sure, he has a right to say it, but people also have a right to react to it.

Add: And Kevin Johnson shouldn't be the mayor of Sacramento. He should be in jail. But that still doesn't mean that he is wrong about Donald Sterling.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be something more important or better to be talking about then this ignorant f'er. Say, carrots for example.

So, because his mistress is biracial, that means he's not a racist?

Back in the days of slavery, many slave owners bedded the women that they owned. So does that mean they weren't racists?

They weren't girlfriends they were rape victims. But thanks for playing.

They weren't girlfriends they were rape victims. But thanks for playing.

You are missing the point. Just because he likes to have sex with black and/or biracial women, it doesn't mean he's not a racist.

Edit: spelling correction.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's bullshit, and it's causing unnecessary hate from both blacks and whites.
When money is involved, you have to be skeptical.

Reactions: Skarekrow
You are missing the point. Just because he likes to have sex with black of biracial women, it doesn't mean he's not a racist.

Yes I know it makes him a race traitor. But you are missing the point so go ahead and reread thanks.

There has to be something more important or better to be talking about then this ignorant f'er. Say, carrots for example.

How about this:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/5...very-of-brazilian-insect-stuns-scientists.htm

An insect species living in remote caves of Brazil has reversed the usual male-female actions in reproduction, scientists say. With the females possessing a penis-like sex organ with which they penetrate the males.

The flea-sized insects of the genus Neotrogla have the distinction of being the first example ever found of a species with sex-reversed forms of genitalia.

While so-called "pseudo-penises" have been seen in females of some other species, in each of them the male must still penetrate the female during mating.

Only Neotrogla has truly reversed that paradigm, the females using their organ, dubbed a gynosome, to penetrate the male and gather sperm during reproduction.

I kind of think its no recommendation that the choice is between one sort of reprehensible behaviour and another but I agree that possible racism is nothing like actual violence and personally I've always thought that rape was the worst kind of violence of all.

I think I'm going to read a little more about this, it seems worse than the duck dynasty kerfuffle, which just seemed to be someone, shock horror, talking about how great they thought their own sexual orientation is, which is fine if its anything other than heterosexual these days, and more on a par with the Firefox fiasco.

There's got to be a crunch soon I reckon, its not reasonable to apply the same and worse sanctions upon merely thinking and thing or discriminating in what I would consider permissable or at least unavoidable ways, discrimination is choice after all, drinking coffee rather than tea is a choice and you're discriminating against tea and in favour of coffee, if we are going to attempt to police discrimination lets tackle the grosser and more injurious examples. It only makes sense that way. Its extremely uneconomic in terms of time and resources to act otherwise.

The transformation of social control, policing, law enforcement and even legislation/law making away from seeking to police matters like violence, theft, crimes against the person and their property, towards enforcing the judged desirable norms of a small, small intellectual audience who've not even thought out their philosophy that well is just stupid. I really hope that when the world wakes up to this sort of thing its as definite as some of its other disillusionments.

So something that came to mind: the 1st Amendment in the US protects a citizens free speech from government retribution. But since the US is moving more toward an oligarchy of strong businesses, should we devise more laws that say we have free speech and cant be fired (or have our ownership of a franchise removed) for that from a private business?

So something that came to mind: the 1st Amendment in the US protects a citizens free speech from government retribution. But since the US is moving more toward an oligarchy of strong businesses, should we devise more laws that say we have free speech and cant be fired (or have our ownership of a franchise removed) for that from a private business?

That's an interesting idea, I felt the whole approach of many of those involved in the Firefox action was that censorship and thought control was permissable if it where privatised.

We have had another gigantic PC fracas. This time it is said that the Clippers' owner was racist. That's not technically a crime, but it has nevertheless been used to assess a 2.5 million dollar fine, and to justify stripping Donald Sterling of the right to visit any NBA game, and also that he may no longer be an owner of the team.

One of his top accusers is a former guard named Kevin Johnson. Johnson is the mayor of Sacramento. Johnson has been convicted of raping teen girls who were in a program for underserved youth. He now sits in Donald Sterling's spot beside the Clippers' games, and is apparently considered a good replacement for Sterling.

It has been said that because 70% of the NBA is black, or maybe 80% (figures vary), the rules should be made by and for black men. This might mean that anything said against black males is going to be hit and hit hard. Anything on the other hand that hurts vulnerable teen girls won't matter at all.

How many teen girls play at the top levels of the NBA?

As this case unfurls, I am more and more disappointed in the standards of American journalism, and American law. I love to watch the NBA, but I am more and more sickened by the double standards. It's not yet enough to make me stop watching, though. I want OKC to win. I think Kevin Durant may still have moral scruples. But not Kevin Johnson! OMG! Is suggesting that your girlfriend not associate with black men as awful as actually raping teen girls? As this story morphs, I think we will become more and more aware of how awful the new PC regime is, and how awful and unconstitutional our judgement has become. What should be considered a crime worthy of lifetime ostracism?

http://deadspin.com/the-man-who-helped-bring-down-donald-sterling-is-an-ass-1576960521
Really?
You are neglecting what Sterling said…which I feel he has a right to say even if he is an idiot…because someone else there has raped teenage girls.
These are two separate things. Yes, the media focuses on what it wants to…yes, there should be some light shed upon the player that has been convicted of such crimes if in fact, he has actually done such things.
But public opinion is what took Sterling down…if you are in the public eye, then you are not immune to such repercussions…the sponsors pulled out because of what he said…that is the main reason why Sterling has been shafted.
There is a difference between being intolerant and being intolerant of intolerance…lol.
We were just talking about this on another thread recently…what makes someone a bigot? Are you still a bigot for being intolerant of those who are bigoted?
Yes…our constitution protects free speech…but it will not protect you from popular public opinion…it will not stop your sponsors from going somewhere else.
And why would such a person want to own a team of mainly african-american players if they have such opinions of them? Saying that black people smell bad and some of the other things he has said over the years…btw…this is not the first time he has made racist remarks…it is only now that people are no longer tolerating such remarks and attitudes that he has come into the public firing line.
Kevin Johnson has successfully maneuvered his way out of a rape conviction even though it is fairly obvious that he did in fact have sex with a 16 year old girl.
I think he is a piece of garbage personally…but because someone has done something worse than make racist remarks it somehow makes such remarks okay? I think not.
So sorry that popular public opinion is changing and people are no longer tolerating people being racist, homophobic, sexist, and all of the other things WASPS and conservative right-wing Christians like to talk shit about.
Yes, there are double-standards…there is much that is unfair…but why are you trying to overshadow Sterling’s remarks with another story?

Reactions: cvp12gh5
So sorry that popular public opinion is changing and people are no longer tolerating people being racist, homophobic, sexist, and all of the other things WASPS and conservative right-wing Christians like to talk shit about.

This'll blow your mind but you know the whole dismissing people as racist, homophobic, sexist or some other PC label, well, that's just as dehumanising and "othering" as the sorts of things those labels were invented to try and deal with.

That's more complex than the whole traditional game of "goodies" vs. "baddies" popular with the hipster politicos but you know, if you're interested in more than playing games think about it.

This'll blow your mind but you know the whole dismissing people as racist, homophobic, sexist or some other PC label, well, that's just as dehumanising and "othering" as the sorts of things those labels were invented to try and deal with.

That's more complex than the whole traditional game of "goodies" vs. "baddies" popular with the hipster politicos but you know, if you're interested in more than playing games think about it.

You don't have to like anyone, you just have to leave them alone.

You don't have to like anyone, you just have to leave them alone.

Not enough anymore for an awful lot of people.

It makes a hell of a lot of sense to me as someone who's lived with competiting cultures all his life and been aware of being part of a minority and part of a majority depending upon how you look at things or cut it. Maybe I'm just getting older and a lot of people who I see loud mouthing online are younger and got a lot of living and aging to do but there's a lot of common sense that isnt so common.

Not enough anymore for an awful lot of people.

It makes a hell of a lot of sense to me as someone who's lived with competiting cultures all his life and been aware of being part of a minority and part of a majority depending upon how you look at things or cut it. Maybe I'm just getting older and a lot of people who I see loud mouthing online are younger and got a lot of living and aging to do but there's a lot of common sense that isnt so common.

I know the right-wing simply looooves to point out the progressives are just as intolerant when it comes to allowing people to spew whatever verbal diarrhea they wish to vomit up…no one’s mind has been blown here Lark.
Being intolerant of people who promote intolerance is not the same thing.

I still don't think we have the context for Sterling's remarks. It somehow happened in a room in which he and Stiviano (not her real name, but no one seems to know her real name, as she goes by at least six aliases), were conversing. She offers him orange juice and calls him "dear." The precise nature of their relationship is still unclear. She claims they were never lovers. He claims that she can have sex with anyone she wants, but he doesn't want her to bring blacks to his owner's club box, apparently because some other rich person is making fun of him for the people that she brings, including black players. It's definitely a weird conversation, but we don't have much of a context for it.

It's just interesting to me that "being racist" is now considered a greater crime than raping a teen. And that the man who allegedly raped a teen is mayor of Sacramento, and welcome anywhere in the NBA, while Sterling, because he allegedly said these things, is persona non grata at his own ballclub. One of these persons is a criminal. The other: objectionable, perhaps, but not a criminal.

And yet no one blinks at the rapist. Because he's black, he gets a pass. Perhaps to condemn him for raping these kids would be racist. Also, Kevin Johnson is a close personal friend of Obama's.

I know the right-wing simply looooves to point out the progressives are just as intolerant when it comes to allowing people to spew whatever verbal diarrhea they wish to vomit up…no one’s mind has been blown here Lark.
Being intolerant of people who promote intolerance is not the same thing.

hmm, yeah, what if you dont blinker your thinking in terms of right-wing and left-wing/"progressives" maybe? That's all ways of dismissing opinions and thinking instead of treating it was worthwhile, that sort of thing is going to come back and bite you in the ass.

So far as the whole intolerant of people who promote intolerance I'd refer you back to JS Mill, both on liberty and his autobiography deal with freedom of thought and freedom of discussion and do really well upon these points, good opinion and thinking shouldnt be so threatened by what it considers its opposing opposite as to want to censor it, if you're confident you're right in your opinion you should be happy enough to have others air theirs. I think its because so many people are unconvinced, deep down they arent sure, and they dont want any challenges to that fragile certainty that they have achieved so they try to prohibit anything that will threaten that. Not a good thing at all. Especially not from the very people who're meant to be the bastions of critical thinking so called.

A lot of the discourse on the role of minority sexual preferences in society, its profile and importance to agitators etc. I've always thought was a very good case in point. There's a discussion there that's not been had, which I believe at the moment cant really be had, but its important and would have implications far beyond this single issue, to what democracy, law, minority-majority relations and expectations should guarantee any individual.