The big philosophical questions | INFJ Forum

The big philosophical questions

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
What do you think are the big or most pressing philosophical questions for you? I read a book on the history of philosophy lately which suggested that existentialism is the one big pressing philosophical matter facing philosophy and humankind, I'd never really thought of it that way at all, although I have read since that many of the things which I do consider big philosophical issues are often labelled as existentialist questions so perhaps its hard to escape that categorisation.

Anyway, out of interest I thought I'd create a thread for people to share what they thought was important or at stake.

One of the biggest questions for me has always been that of To Have or To Be I think these are the two fundamental modes of human existence and people need to make a choice between them, I think that the having mode prevails and is dominant, so its only ever possible to incompletely experience the alternative because it has not had its advent, although under the proper conditions it can be experienced, even if only for a time limited period, with particular people, in smaller groups or limited circumstances.

There's a wiki which puts it better than I could:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Have_or_to_Be?

Either/Or by Soren Kierkegaard

In philosophy, Either/Or (original Danish title: Enten ‒ Eller) is an influential book written by the Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard published in two volumes in 1843, exploring the aesthetic and ethical "phases" or "stages" of existence. Either/Or was Kierkegaard's first published book; it was released under the pseudonym Victor Eremita, Latin for "the victorious hermit".

Either/Or portrays two life views, one consciously hedonistic, the other based on ethical duty and responsibility. Each life view is written and represented by a fictional pseudonymous author, with the prose of the work reflecting and depending on the life view being discussed. For example, the aesthetic life view is written in short essay form, with poetic imagery and allusions, discussing aesthetic topics such as music, seduction, drama, and beauty. The ethical life view is written as two long letters, with a more argumentative and restrained prose, discussing moral responsibility, critical reflection, and marriage.[1] The views of the book are not neatly summarized, but are expressed as lived experiences embodied by the pseudonymous authors. The book's central concern is the primal question asked by Aristotle, "How should we live?"[2] His motto comes from Plutarch, "The deceived is wiser than one not deceived.

Yes, I do think existentialism is a important topic of philosophy.
Soren Kierkegaard was a genius. "Truth is subjectivity." When I first read his book, and read about his philosophy, I was amazed.
He proposed a ground-shaking perspective.

What do you think are the big or most pressing philosophical questions for you? I read a book on the history of philosophy lately which suggested that existentialism is the one big pressing philosophical matter facing philosophy and humankind, I'd never really thought of it that way at all, although I have read since that many of the things which I do consider big philosophical issues are often labelled as existentialist questions so perhaps its hard to escape that categorisation.

Anyway, out of interest I thought I'd create a thread for people to share what they thought was important or at stake.

One of the biggest questions for me has always been that of To Have or To Be I think these are the two fundamental modes of human existence and people need to make a choice between them, I think that the having mode prevails and is dominant, so its only ever possible to incompletely experience the alternative because it has not had its advent, although under the proper conditions it can be experienced, even if only for a time limited period, with particular people, in smaller groups or limited circumstances.

There's a wiki which puts it better than I could:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Have_or_to_Be?

It changes for me...a lot.

Right now : what is happiness

Well...I guess that would be my question if you're asking me about my own personal philosophical questions :D

It changes for me...a lot.

Right now : what is happiness

Well...I guess that would be my question if you're asking me about my own personal philosophical questions :D

Did you ever hear of a book called Happiness is overrated? Its by a philosopher, I think called Bernini, a very, very good book and written as an alternative to the whole happiness science and stuff.

Reactions: say what
Yeah, that is a big one.

I don't read much on philosophy itself but I try to see the philosophy behind actions I experience first hand or read about elsewhere. Or watch, you get the point.
I like to know who is saying it academically but I rarely read the books. I find them very waffley. I guess that comes with the territory.

To have or to be? Like I said, yeah, it's a big one.

But, I have a take on it.

Like it or not, you ARE. So BE that. Work out what it is through whatever means you need and acknowledge that you ARE it.
Then, look inside yourself and imagine the greatest possible person you honestly believe you could be within this lifetime.

How do they compare?

The more basic and foundational areas of life do not require having very much at all except your body and mind. You've got them so we're onto a winner.
As your ambitions for self-creation become more complex, you may require tools and such and so the need to HAVE arises and becomes stronger.

The big philosophical question I like most is the mind-body connection debate.

Happiness is a by-product, not a mean in itself. Work hard, love with all your mind and strenght, seek good and justice, and you shall have happiness.

LucyJr said:
Something higher than his own nature.

Do you mean God? This is certainly one of the options, but before we mention absolute powers, I'd prefer to find out, for example, the odds of a man changing his own nature himself (and circumstances, in which these odds are highest).
In a reputation comment (is there a way to reply to these directly? Pretty embarassing to admit, I'm CS major...), rawr has said "trauma, extreme stress, drastic change in life environment" which are all valid points when discussing major changes in a person's behaviour, but then:
1. I probably should have been more clear about what this "nature of man" is; and that's actually another big question: What defines the nature of a man? What does this nature consist of? Is it something inherent, defined clearly and pretty much unchangable in a way other than destruction and complete redefinition? Or is it something that is actually designed to be changing all the time (vide Sartre's Being and Nothingness)?
2. Trauma, stress etc. by definition affect person in a strongly negative way. Putting aside the question stated in (1), are there some positive circumstances that may change a person? Or is it actually pointless to talk about positive occurrences per se, because they exist only as a contradiction to negative ones and are temporary in nature (loosely following Schopenhauer)?

Happiness is a by-product, not a mean in itself. Work hard, love with all your mind and strenght, seek good and justice, and you shall have happiness.

I don't know if I agree with this. Yes it is a by-product or an outcome, but happiness can also be a means as well. Being happy or going through the physical products of happiness (e.g., smiling, laughing), can actually cause positive outcomes!

So I think 'being happy', is a means to a variety of other things

Something higher than his own nature.

I tend to think the problem is that man is not in tune with his nature, rather than any of that human, all too human business.

Do you mean God? This is certainly one of the options, but before we mention absolute powers, I'd prefer to find out, for example, the odds of a man changing his own nature himself (and circumstances, in which these odds are highest).
In a reputation comment (is there a way to reply to these directly? Pretty embarassing to admit, I'm CS major...), rawr has said "trauma, extreme stress, drastic change in life environment" which are all valid points when discussing major changes in a person's behaviour, but then:
1. I probably should have been more clear about what this "nature of man" is; and that's actually another big question: What defines the nature of a man? What does this nature consist of? Is it something inherent, defined clearly and pretty much unchangable in a way other than destruction and complete redefinition? Or is it something that is actually designed to be changing all the time (vide Sartre's Being and Nothingness)?
2. Trauma, stress etc. by definition affect person in a strongly negative way. Putting aside the question stated in (1), are there some positive circumstances that may change a person? Or is it actually pointless to talk about positive occurrences per se, because they exist only as a contradiction to negative ones and are temporary in nature (loosely following Schopenhauer)?

I do think there is such a thing as human nature, I think its a really rich body of research and thinking that exists on that topic too and well worth reading, if only to disagree with some of them. Broadly, among the best, I think are the views of Erich Fromm, Karen Horney and Bowlby and the other attachment theorists.

From Fromm I take the idea that man is naturally productive, naturally relates to others, is reasoning and loving but when these drives are blocked they become distorted or perverted, into various pathologies, although never cease. I think there are two over arching personality types, biophilious and necrophilious, people begin as biophilious and it could perhaps be considered natural but in so far as necrophilious personalities are also human (all to human, perhaps) it could be considered natural too (Fromm believed in a kind of humanist maxim that "nothing human should be foreign to you"). Finally I believe also that mankind has two modes of life available to itself, being or having. I think Fromm theorising about social character, how the demands of society and economy shape individual character are worthwhile too. Sociology is as important as psychology in shaping his perspective and I think that is very important.

From Horney I think the theories about basic anxiety in the home giving rise to neurotic trends, moving away from people, moving towards people, moving against people (aversion, obsession, aggression) is well reasoned and corresponds to some of my experience of others too. It corresponds to some of Bowlby's and other attachment theories thinking too.

From attachment theories the idea of the importance of attachment figures, primary carers, to forming internal working models and attachment styles which can be avoidant, ambivalent or secure (organised) or disorganised, is important. That these styles are rewritable but pretty constant I believe is true too.

So I believe there is a, debatable, human nature in the broadest possible sense, Fromm has the most to say about this and also that society is out of step with it but he takes it as a hopeful sign that man is not infinitely adaptable, he does not conform to the present mode and demand of society and the economy and can not and will not forever, eventually entropy and crisis will demand he return to himself. In the most individual sense I believe that attachment style and basic anxiety or neurotic trends are significant. Internal and external factors are deterministic of an individual's nature, they interact dynamically.

Trauma will change people, it can have some permanence depending upon their resilence or lack there of (determined by attachment style, adaptability, coping strategies), do positive things change people for the better? Perhaps, although I would see that more in the sense of opportunities or conditions for change and that change I would reason is the recovery from trauma or its legacies or some kind of social character which does not correspond to human nature in the broadest possible sense of the word.

I tend to think the problem is that man is not in tune with his nature, rather than any of that human, all too human business.
What do you mean?

What do you mean?

The view that mankind is flawed and needs God or a higher power to reach some sort of perfection I think is mistaken, I think that man is more perfect than he is allowed to be under present conditions because I think the demands of society and the economy are divergent from human nature.

I myself and a religious thinker and I believe that most of the dialogue between man and God in the old and new testament of the Judeo-Christian tradition indicates this too, there are a lot of stories I could think of but one of the best among them is the one in which Jesus is challenged by religious authorities of his day about doing "work" on the sabbath, he and his followers pick something to eat, I think its corn or something like that, and he replies with the question of whether man was made for the sabbath or sabbath for man? This is precisely how a great, great many fantastic innovations and inventions of mankind have turned out, they were meant to make life easier but instead their purpose has been forgotten or they have been repurposed or something like that and no longer make life easier at all. Institutions which were meant to be at mans service are actually served by mankind instead.

The view that mankind is flawed and needs God or a higher power to reach some sort of perfection I think is mistaken, I think that man is more perfect than he is allowed to be under present conditions because I think the demands of society and the economy are divergent from human nature.

I myself and a religious thinker and I believe that most of the dialogue between man and God in the old and new testament of the Judeo-Christian tradition indicates this too, there are a lot of stories I could think of but one of the best among them is the one in which Jesus is challenged by religious authorities of his day about doing "work" on the sabbath, he and his followers pick something to eat, I think its corn or something like that, and he replies with the question of whether man was made for the sabbath or sabbath for man? This is precisely how a great, great many fantastic innovations and inventions of mankind have turned out, they were meant to make life easier but instead their purpose has been forgotten or they have been repurposed or something like that and no longer make life easier at all. Institutions which were meant to be at mans service are actually served by mankind instead.
Bible does not accept that man is perfect. You quoted a scene to support your idea from the very Bible that explicitly states and contradicts your idea, which is that man is sinful, evil, and in need of repentence and salvation from God.