That boring feeling | INFJ Forum

That boring feeling

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
You ever feel that you're a boring person? It may seem odd, considering most of my interactions on here, but in certain company I get self-conscious about.... well... me.

The worst part is, it's my family! They're all very extroverted, outgoing, etc. Sometimes I'd even say borderline obnoxious :) Then I spend time with them in one-on-one settings and after a while I start to wonder how boring they think I am. I don't joke around the same as they do. I don't shout and laugh out loud about everything. I don't say the first things on my mind. I don't watch sports or cheer on any teams. Nothing that seems "normal" to them are things I do or like.

I feel a little more boring every year. As far as family goes and even people in general I usually feel like an alien of some sort. We don’t share common humor. I almost never shout or laugh out loud. I often don’t speak my mind and I don’t watch nor give a crap about sports. That’s one of the reasons I like it here. We are all abnormal together :smile:

For whatever it’s worth, I don’t think you’re boring. Your comments on 9/11 caused me to reevaluate the entire attack in a whole new light and the stuff you have posted on animal cruelty has made me seriously consider becoming a vegetarian! Not to mention you have what I would consider an exotic pet and that’s pretty darn cool/not boring! Different doesn’t equal boring in my book. I get self-conscious around most people. Though I haven’t figured out how to beat it I hope it’s a least a comfort for you to hear that you’re not alone.

I feel a little more boring every year. As far as family goes and even people in general I usually feel like an alien of some sort. We don’t share common humor. I almost never shout or laugh out loud. I often don’t speak my mind and I don’t watch nor give a crap about sports. That’s one of the reasons I like it here. We are all abnormal together :smile:

For whatever it’s worth, I don’t think you’re boring. Your comments on 9/11 caused me to reevaluate the entire attack in a whole new light and the stuff you have posted on animal cruelty has made me seriously consider becoming a vegetarian! Not to mention you have what I would consider an exotic pet and that’s pretty darn cool/not boring! Different doesn’t equal boring in my book. I get self-conscious around most people. Though I haven’t figured out how to beat it I hope it’s a least a comfort for you to hear that you’re not alone.

LOL...."we are all abnormal together..."

I know I'm abnormal. I told my counselor on Monday everyone knows I'm weird. He agreed....

Yes [MENTION=2890]Lerxst[/MENTION] I consider myself very boring when in the company of most people I hang with. I've made the comment a few times to my bf and she laughs and says "no you're not"....but I know she loves me - so what does she know - right?

Honestly, though, I agree with Rasmus1981. You are not boring at all. I enjoy reading what you have to say because it's interesting. We are just different.
Today I was at my Mom's with some of my favorite family to celebrate Dad's birthday. A good majority of the time they were sitting together in one room while I was hanging out in another room with the 2.5 year old singing Mary Poppins songs... They'd look in on me occasionally and smile. They know I'm weird.

No. People find me eccentric, talented, intelligent, opinionated, and sometimes irritable. But never boring.

So, develop a kind of "split off" of yourself that observes you. Do you bore YOU? If you find yourself interesting, others probably do too.

Also, closely observe the people you find most intersting and attractive and ask yourself, "what is it about them that I am so drawn to?" Then, copy it until it becomes part of you.

Reactions: Feelings
I actually feel that I'm fantastically interesting! However, it does take the right kind of interaction to really bring that part of me to the surface. Certain personalities completely shut me down, and never stay on a subject long enough for me to really participate. When conversations stay hyper-animated, but ADD-riddled and surface level, I feel like someone's pet rock, lol. I try to bring some kind of genuine emotional response to the surface, but it's buried waaaay deep, and I feel like I have a polite smile plastered to my face. It takes being in a situation where deeper exploratory conversation and humor are at play for me to really be "myself". I've learned to identify conversations where effective translation just isn't happening, and meander on to something else.

I don't like many of the typical things that most people enjoy, but it makes me unique. I'm really interested and passionate about some fairly off the wall things. To the right individuals, I'm a veritable carnival with interesting twists and turns, charms, and endearing oddities to be enjoyed and marveled over and shared. To those people, I'm energizing. To others, I'm just a weirdo who's hard to converse with, lol. (in these conversations, talk is less like an engaging tennis match, and more like two monkeys blankly flinging poo at one another). Not everyone gets me. I'm good with that. You can't be all things to all people.

Reactions: Feelings
Sometimes I feel boring...don't we all? I think it is more the routine of our lives than our personality.

Edit: Then when life goes crazy, it is like this saying I made up and life doesn't feel so boring anymore.

I learned that life is like being on an bus careening out of control being driven by an insane clown and no matter how hard I pull the bell, it won't stop. Other days, I'm not so optimistic.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Uh, you're definitely not boring. If you share your opinions, humor, and caring with your family, at all, I am sure they would use other adjectives to describe you. If you were just like everyone else, THAT would make you seem boring, in my opinion.

I struggle with this feeling, as well, as it seems the worst fate ever, and have let my individual out to play. I really think you're doing just fine without pink hair, though. ;)

Sure, but then I'm reminded often that I am unpredictable. I suppose unpredictable is not boring. At the same time I don't interact with people on a constant basis, so when I do ... there is usually much to say.

Reactions: grt$5vb
I feel a little more boring every year.

roflllll xD

and Lerxst, I know what you mean :( I do feel like a boring person sometimes. I think what makes me feel that way is when someone asks me something and I have nothing to answer them with or I have nothing to contribute to a conversation that everyone else is into. But you have to realize that, not everyone is interested or into every topic of interest out there. I think the best cure for your feeling would be to not be shy about sharing your thoughts, and be confident about yourself. When you see people respond positively to what you say, then it might help out. At least it will help you from feeling excluded from conversations.

Yeah I sometimes feel that way when I'm not sharing enough of myself with other people. For whatever reason. I think it helps to put some of your ideas out there in the world and see what happens (I'll bet what's inside your head isn't boring at all).

Actually, yes. I worry quite a lot that I'm boring. I don't go to parties, I don't go to the movies, I don't... well, much of anything, really. I do a lot of arts and crafts. I read a bunch. I learn a bunch. Other than that, I think I'm pretty blah.

But people I know have told me that I'm far from boring. (They come over and sit quietly while we play a video game, or something, and then say they're not bored!)

I just don't know what they see in me. :p

Yeah, I do feel that way from time to time. I think that my relentlessly unyielding eccentricity (or lunacy, whatever) usually makes up for those moments when I, in reality don't have anything interesting or worthwhile to offer, though. Kind of like a back-up system.

More often than not it just makes for some awkward silences, but hey, whatcha gonna do.

Indoobidiblee. I have an aura of boring-ness around me that causes anyone within a 6 mile to instantly erupt in a groan.

Reactions: Kgal
QFT. I feel like others know more, do more, experience more, understand more than I ever did -- okay maybe not always the last (obnoxious me and my huge ego) but I feel like what I'd understand were stupid, inconsequential things like human feelings and social conventions and psychology and drawing and cooking and yaoi... bah. Not 'things that mattered' like sports, politics, science or philosophy.
So, develop a kind of "split off" of yourself that observes you. Do you bore YOU? If you find yourself interesting, others probably do too.

Also, closely observe the people you find most intersting and attractive and ask yourself, "what is it about them that I am so drawn to?" Then, copy it until it becomes part of you.
Also true.

Reactions: Nixie
Uh but aren't we really talking about "insecurity"? We all get a little insecure that we aren't enough _____(fill in the blank). I think @Lerxst is speaking of the insecurity of feeling like he isn't "part of the group"--you know that he isn't appreciated for his qualities within a family setting because they are different.

Reactions: Trifoilum
Uh but aren't we really talking about "insecurity"? We all get a little insecure that we aren't enough _____(fill in the blank). I think @Lerxst is speaking of the insecurity of feeling like he isn't "part of the group"--you know that he isn't appreciated for his qualities within a family setting because they are different.
Oh they are intertwined. And there are times when you feel secure but still feel boring -- in fact, sometimes you can feel boring in your security. It's as if one doesn't feel growing enough, 'special' enough, like one's got to take some risk....The others did a lot of things, but me? Only this and that, only sit back and do a little (especially if you feel you could do more). That could breed a huge sense of not feeling like the part of the group.

I dunno if that's the same thing though. Maybe it's just me ;p

Indoobidiblee. I have an aura of boring-ness around me that causes anyone within a 6 mile to instantly erupt in a groan.

I lol'd. XD

I have the boring feeling every now and then but pay no attention to it.

An "aww shucks" feels in order. Thanks everyone :)

That feeling I was talking about is mostly around people who know me and won't judge me. It's just sort of a guilt I feel knowing I'm not what they consider a "fun" person.

Reactions: AKM
Yeah, I feel really boring when I am alone a lot. The I hear some people speak about what they do during their day and well, it makes be worthy of being the Dos Equis guy.

I think I'm probably boring to many people. I just find pleasure in simple things. :)

Reactions: Jill Hives