Tensions with Turkey

FiftySeven

Community Member
Sep 9, 2010
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
?
Recently the US government officially recognized the Armenian genocide that was carried out by Turkish forces in 1915. The Turks really didn't like that. Back in 2005 I read a blurb about a Turkish movie that featured Gary Busey as a sadistic American doctor in Iraq who was part of the evil American colonial force, aided by Jews, who were routed by a brave and daring group of Turkish Intelligence officers.

upload_2021-4-27_1-37-17.png
Seems that these folks , Turks in general, are not very keen on us (ie the US). It also seems that a lot of Europeans are not happy with the Turkish community that has settled in European countries, Brexit may well have been as much a reaction to the expat Turks as anything else.

The American Gen Flynn is a poster boy for the not so democratic or lawful machinations of the Current ruling Turkish Political party... I wonder if this is all heading to an expulsion from NATO and an realignment of the EU, perhaps those on the forum with more knowledge of the dynamics would weigh in as this is way to complicated for a comic.

Reactions: Reason
The whole thing should be avoided as it is just another problem that will eventually boil over into another regional conflict on its own sooner than later. I never really paid much attention to it but have run across opinions both in person and online that people are really unhappy with that country one way or another. As for Nato that plug should have been pulled ages ago and what nukes that are still left there should be shipped back state side.

Reactions: Reason
@larry806q the arguments for not recognizing the Armenian genocide are strong, I spent a while yesterday reading about the military to military relationship between the US and Turkey and obviously the US gains much from it. The air base the USAF maintains there is critical to the US war effort throughout South Western Asia (which arguably keeps the peace). It may be that the current administration is serious about ending or radically curtailing the US Military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan and would thereby be less reliant on Turkey. What I can't seem to get a grip on is what does Turkey really get out of its relationship with the US? Their popular culture does not seem to like us, they disdained our invasion of Iraq, they loath our support of the Kurds....I am interested and if any European on the forum has some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

@larry806q the arguments for not recognizing the Armenian genocide are strong, I spent a while yesterday reading about the military to military relationship between the US and Turkey and obviously the US gains much from it. The air base the USAF maintains there is critical to the US war effort throughout South Western Asia (which arguably keeps the peace). It may be that the current administration is serious about ending or radically curtailing the US Military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan and would thereby be less reliant on Turkey. What I can't seem to get a grip on is what does Turkey really get out of its relationship with the US? Their popular culture does not seem to like us, they disdained our invasion of Iraq, they loath our support of the Kurds....I am interested and if any European on the forum has some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

I am confident that if one were to ask the State Department they would provide one answer. Then if one were to ask the Defense Department you would get at best a different answer if not one 180 degrees opposite. The easy answer is boat loads of money. One can put up with a lot of grief for American Dollars. Secondly (under a normal President) Turkey can have a bit of comfort in knowing that if China or Russia got too over zealous, America would come forth. Conversely because America is an "ally" the Chinese and Russians more than likely won't get too over zealous.
Further, clearly the priority for the current administration is the Chinese and the Russians so, if you can offend the Turks you can placate the Chinese and Russians.

One could then ask why has Kerry been assisting/informing the Iranians in an attempt to negate what Trump was trying to do? The left does not want a stable Geopolitical structure - it doesn't serve any constructive purpose for them.

Secondly (under a normal President) Turkey can have a bit of comfort in knowing that if China or Russia got too over zealous, America would come forth. Conversely because America is an "ally" the Chinese and Russians more than likely won't get too over zealous.
Further, clearly the priority for the current administration is the Chinese and the Russians so, if you can offend the Turks you can placate the Chinese and Russians.

One could then ask why has Kerry been assisting/informing the Iranians in an attempt to negate what Trump was trying to do? The left does not want a stable Geopolitical structure - it doesn't serve any constructive purpose for them.
I don't really think there's much advantage to courting Turkey. I also seriously doubt that Kerry is assisting or informing Iran on anything.

Reactions: FiftySeven
That's not secret. It literally says that it's publicly known information in the article you linked.

Also consider this:
Zarif reportedly said that Kerry told him that Israeli forces had attacked Iranian targets in Syria at least 200 times.
Do you think you can attack anyone 200 times without them knowing about it? :tearsofjoy:

No this is a story about Zarif being left out of the loop by his own government that has been reinterpreted as Kerry spreading classified information.

This is obvious fake news.

Reactions: Sandie33
That's not secret. It literally says that it's publicly known information in the article you linked.

Also consider this:

Do you think you can attack anyone 200 times without them knowing about it? :tearsofjoy:

No this is a story about Zarif being left out of the loop by his own government that has been reinterpreted as Kerry spreading classified information.

This is obvious fake news.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/topic/israeli-strike-on-syria/

This URL provides multiple stories on the fake news (from the source).

https://www.timesofisrael.com/topic/israeli-strike-on-syria/

This URL provides multiple stories on the fake news (from the source).

https://www.americanthinker.com/art...ing_admissions_out_of_the_new_york_times.html

I understand the need for a verifying link to a story..........albeit as long as it is from an acceptable source (acceptable will be left to the readers imagination for definition). The above link would provide some background on how some of the linked material comes into being. If *that* source is not "acceptable" it is possible to further search for articles and of course the Court Documents are available for those interested in the core information. I will concede before the chance of any rancor starts that the Plaintiff will be found to be objectionable and that most articles about the plainitiff will be attacked. That out of the way, the Court documents are factual and is taking place in the New York Supreme Court.

Iran is pouring billions in military materiel into Syria.

Russia has sent into Syria MPs to help Kurb the fighting between Turkey and the Kurds. Of course, the MPs have Russian gunships with them at their disposal.

As for Kerry, we don't talk outside our circle about certain things and he must know that. What the public THINKS they know is a whole different subject. They must dive in and decipher the trash from the truth if they can.

I am not about to get pulled into a trolling trap so this will be it. I will make it clear that I do indeed understand your premise. If it is a bad story about Republicans/Conservatives/Trump then it is indeed 100% true (even though documented to be patently false). And any story that is negative about Democrats/Liberals/Biden is always false (even though documented to be patently true).
Got it, no problem, Oh and secondly that any story making a point that the Bad "Republican" is linked is also false and of course the converse (not the shoe) also applies.

I am not about to get pulled into a trolling trap so this will be it. I will make it clear that I do indeed understand your premise. If it is a bad story about Republicans/Conservatives/Trump then it is indeed 100% true (even though documented to be patently false). And any story that is negative about Democrats/Liberals/Biden is always false (even though documented to be patently true).
Got it, no problem, Oh and secondly that any story making a point that the Bad "Republican" is linked is also false and of course the converse (not the shoe) also applies.
Who are you responding to?

Reactions: just me