[PAX] Tarot Studies and Questions

dream echo

Donor
Mar 6, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been studying tarot for quite a few years, and I've recently gotten a new software program I'm trying out. It's one where you can create your own spreads, or even input readings you've done manually to give possible interpretations if you need. It seems like it might be a good learning tool as well, as it can add specific interpretations as related to the topic of one's intended question.

Anyone else here read tarot? Do you use them more for meditation of archetypes or primarily for divination? Have you ever tried a software program? If so, what do you think of them, considering you aren't (necessarily) handling the cards? Any interesting experiences you'd like to relate, either as a reader or a querent? Anybody want to be my guinea pig and help me test some theories?

Just for curiosity's sake, I did this quick, one card reading....

Tarot Reading for
dream
Will I receive any serious responses to my tarot thread?

1 Answer: Two of Swords

The answer card.

Focus

The focus is on moving ahead with anticipation (in spite of fear, doubt, or confusion), making decisions, and aligning yourself with supportive or responsive friends.
Outcome

Some success will be attained, but some obstacles will still remain.

I dabbled in them when I was younger. Did readings for myself and others. I still have my deck. I found it all very interesting and love the images and arch-types it employed. They all have meaning and a basis in a deeper reality. "The Devil" is not really about evil and damnation, but about abandon and excess. It's not based on the Christian Satan, but on Pan and Bacchus. It can be about a loss of control too. The "Death" card is often said to represent change. I often drew "The Tower" as a personal card. This is usually considered a very bad card to draw. It can represent Chaos, downfall, disillusion, or disruption. I think the symbolic nature of the Tarot appeals to the INFJ nature and our Ni.

3566.jpg

Reactions: christmas
@Questingpoet

I had no idea you read tarot in the past! So cool.

I also find it intriguing that you chose to share the image of The Devil, as your birth date in numerology reduces to 15. Of course, that is also further reduced to card 6, The Lovers. Hmmm...seems appropriate for a Libra sun/Taurus moon person.

I personally often draw The Hermit (9) and The High Priestess (2). Both correspond to my numerological name and birth date respectively. Interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Questingpoet
[MENTION=933]Seraphim[/MENTION]

I love that you brought this up.

Using colors as a simple analogy, let's say that your past is blue. Your present, based on your current actions, is yellow. So naturally, your future card will be green. But what if you don't want a green outcome? While you cannot change your blue past, you can alter your present actions, to red. The result will then be purple.

So does this mean that the cards failed their prediction? I'd say no, because you changed your course. That is one of the things studying tarot can help a person realize. It's not about predetermined fate, so much as becoming aware of the possibilities of certain actions, and weighing your options.

I prefer the alternate name for the tower... "The Lightening Struck House of God"! Some say the world drew a tarot card on the day of 9/11 as the classical pic of this card portrays people falling from the "tower" and flames shooting out sideways, as opposed to upwards. Again, arch-types and symbols creeping into our lives. The art alone in these decks is worth a study...

Rider-Waite_The_Tower_large.jpg

I have a small collection of decks, and my teenage daughters like to do readings, so I bought them their own decks. Some of the art is truly amazing. My current fave is The Gilded Tarot. Also noteworthy is my Necronomicon deck, which is pretty wicked.

I prefer the alternate name for the tower... "The Lightening Struck House of God"! Some say the world drew a tarot card on the day of 9/11 as the classical pic of this card portrays people falling from the "tower" and flames shooting out sideways, as opposed to upwards. Again, arch-types and symbols creeping into our lives. The art alone in these decks is worth a study...

Rider-Waite_The_Tower_large.jpg

Another name for The Tower is The Shattered Citadel, known from Chaldean Hebrew Kabbalah numerology. It speaks of destruction and loss; falling from grace. I think it also deals with miscommunication that leads to such a fall. This not only relates to our 9/11, but also the biblical Tower of Babel, a warning to those who seek high stature/power.

Reactions: Questingpoet
[MENTION=1855]christmas[/MENTION] reads Tarot

I am incredibly drawn to Tarot and I have never really understood why. I bought a deck when I was around 13-14 and I actually got overwhelmed at how good the cards made me feel. Like just having them and holding them was so cool, I had to put them away and I pretty much never picked them up again.

Weird?

yar.

i have two decks right now.

the Sacred Rose Tarot

and

the Goddess Tarot

the Sacred Rose deck is really good for meditating, and the symbols are very helpful to me. the Goddess Tarot is a little more difficult for me to read, but it's gorgeous and i like it. i really want the Tarot of Marseilles deck, but we haven't crossed paths as of yet.

that program sounds super nifty. got a link or the title of the software, [MENTION=3817]dream echo[/MENTION]?

I have a Tarot Deck but I have never tried it. I am fascinated by it and would very much like to learn more about it. It's something I am looking forward to getting into!

that's a gorgeous deck! I just have one of those Rider Waite decks. It's an oversized one.

I adore Tarot. It was one of the first tools I used to understand the patterns of the human condition. I prefer to use them in a meditative, mythopoetic or psychoanalytic capacity BUT! I will not deny the eerie way the divination seems to work.

Questingpoet, I can't believe you drew the Tower as a personal card. *shivers* To this day the card sends shivers down my spine. I understand that destruction yields rejuvenation but to have to endure the Tower or have one's life characterized by it *shivers*.

The High Priestess has always appealed to me. Knowledge that is secretly whispered and only secretly understood/experienced- *sigh* how sublime.

I have the Robin Woode deck--very positive, friendly designs. It's been very helpful as a way to read my own insight better, like training wheels. I come back to it every now and then.

Questingpoet, I can't believe you drew the Tower as a personal card. *shivers* To this day the card sends shivers down my spine. I understand that destruction yields rejuvenation but to have to endure the Tower or have one's life characterized by it *shivers*.

Kind of envious, actually. Both Death and the Tower can be very positive symbols of powerful change. I often think of Orthanc flooded over in "The Two Towers" when I see that card.

I've been studying tarot for quite a few years, and I've recently gotten a new software program I'm trying out. It's one where you can create your own spreads, or even input readings you've done manually to give possible interpretations if you need. It seems like it might be a good learning tool as well, as it can add specific interpretations as related to the topic of one's intended question.

Anyone else here read tarot? Do you use them more for meditation of archetypes or primarily for divination? Have you ever tried a software program? If so, what do you think of them, considering you aren't (necessarily) handling the cards? Any interesting experiences you'd like to relate, either as a reader or a querent? Anybody want to be my guinea pig and help me test some theories?

You still doing this, [MENTION=3817]dream echo[/MENTION]? I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig, no matter the field of study.

I read tarot all the time and I've been doing it for a couple of years. I used them for meditation, divination, and spiritual purposes. If I do it for myself, than I'm using it to be more self-aware. Sometimes it does backfire since I lose sight of external reality. I personally would never use a software program since I think it takes away the authenticity and purpose of tarot. It's just not as raw compared to the real thing. I've found that I cannot get an accurate overlay through tarot software since my own energy or the energy of my querent isn't being channelled by the cards.