Supplement making me less talkative | INFJ Forum

Supplement making me less talkative

Artemisia

Community Member
May 20, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Has anyone ever taken St. John's Wort or medication that works by increasing serotonin? In addition to decreasing anxiety, did it make you less talkative and impulsive? I have done online research about this aspect and didn't find any information for I am looking to see if others have had similar experiences. I've been on St. John's Wort for 3 weeks now.

Personally, my body could never tolerate St. John's Wort and its side-effects outweighed the benefits. It made me really active at night and during the day. Lots of weird dreams and I'd 'glitch' a lot, where I'd sometimes catch myself doing the same menial task thing over and over again before I'd stop myself. It definitely didn't make me feel normal or calm. It actually psyched me out a little more, making me think that there was something 'wrong' with me.

Reactions: INFJ16
Has anyone ever taken St. John's Wort or medication that works by increasing serotonin? In addition to decreasing anxiety, did it make you less talkative and impulsive? I have done online research about this aspect and didn't find any information for I am looking to see if others have had similar experiences. I've been on St. John's Wort for 3 weeks now.
I think this reduction in verbosity is more indicative of your anxiety coping mechanisms, than of some exotic effect of the herb.

St John's Wort --> reduced anxiety --> less reliance on coping mechanisms --> less verbosity.

Reactions: INFJ16
I think this reduction in verbosity is more indicative of your anxiety coping mechanisms, than of some exotic effect of the herb.

St John's Wort --> reduced anxiety --> less reliance on coping mechanisms --> less verbosity.
Interesting perspective, Flavus. Yes, anxiety tends to make me overly talkative (and I post a lot on FB, which may be a symptom of anxiety too).

I also get weird dreams from SJW, but they are not terrifying dreams. Since I've only been on it for three weeks, it would be interesting to see its effects in another three weeks.

It is supposed to be beneficial for those who suffer from mild depression. Which can go hand in hand with anxiety and other unfavorable behaviors. But 3 weeks sounds like a placebo effect, imo. How sensitive are you to supplements?

Sam-e works great. As does steraline.

Interesting perspective, Flavus. Yes, anxiety tends to make me overly talkative (and I post a lot on FB, which may be a symptom of anxiety too).

I also get weird dreams from SJW, but they are not terrifying dreams. Since I've only been on it for three weeks, it would be interesting to see its effects in another three weeks.
St John's is pretty good, I used it for a while after quitting smoking a few years ago. I found that I only needed it every other day. Just be cautious if you ever have to taper off it (and be wary of going out in the sun while taking it, of course).

It's strange. In addition to being less talkative and less obsessive (yea!), I am also losing weight. The only thing I have changed in my diet this past month is the St. John's wort......lost 4 lbs in 3.5 weeks. Not bad since I don't want to lose anymore (I am a healthy weight).

I've been taking it for years. I think it's true it's best for mild-(moderate) depression anxiety. I haven't noticed it making me less talkative. Or anything to do with weight. It's good for me, but maybe bot everyone. The tincture - (liquid) works best because it's absorbed better and the AVogal brand is good I think. If you can get it prescribed and made by a herbalist even better...depending on the strength your after.

Maybe your brand is too strong for you? Could you lower the dose or change brand maybe?

Last edited: