Suicide and possible jail time | INFJ Forum

Suicide and possible jail time

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by IndigoSensor, Aug 7, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by IndigoSensor
  1. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,285
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    This story has left me feeling very upset and angry http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/06/accused.soldier.ptsd/index.html

    The wife has said that her husband did not try to kill her, and that the law has it wrong. Then prey tell, why is he still being charged for murder attempt? If the person whom the murder was attempted on, feels that that wasn't the case, and more or less forgives the person. WHY is he still being charged? This strikes me as HORRIBLY unfair!!!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TheLastMohican

    TheLastMohican Captain Obvious
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Threads:
    206
    Messages:
    6,233
    Likes Received:
    465
    Trophy Points:
    676
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Type me.
    This makes no sense whatsoever. I'm surprised that they would go ahead with charges when she isn't pressing any. (Since when is the government a better judge of the crime than a mentally competent victim?) Hopefully he pleads temporary insanity (I don't see how the prosecution can argue with that) and gets off.
    I wonder though, can they even convict if she won't testify the way they want her to? In theory, she could just make up another story, however ridiculous, and be the only one with an eyewitness account to offer.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nela

    Nela Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Threads:
    5
    Messages:
    678
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Yes, this looks like yet another situation that has gotten totally out of hand. I am also failing to see the logic behind this. Doesn't it mean anything if the 'victim' herself does not accuse her husband for a murder attempt? It looks like other people are turning the facts into something they want to believe.

    I can understand that the wife is very concerned about her husband, who was unmistakably going through a rough time. The authorities should have payed more attention to the situation here. If we are going to put everyone who is depressed and traumatized in jail, well.. Sadly enough, these cases of inadequate treatment happen quite often. In my opinion the medical/psychiatric sector should be more careful in prescribing anti-depressants without adequate psychological help and assistance, moreover because there have already been concerns about the links between the use of these drugs and higher suicide rates in the past. But that's a different story.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Faye

    Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Threads:
    311
    Messages:
    7,276
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    4,592
    Trophy Points:
    892
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Gridania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Another reason why we need public health care.

    Also, the authorities wont be able to do much without her testimony, except look bad.
     
  5. Azure_Knight

    Azure_Knight Community Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    Threads:
    44
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    I don't see why they are going ahead with this when she isn't pressing charges. He obviously needs help, and I dare say that he won't get what he needs in prison.
     
  6. alcyone

    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2008
    Threads:
    33
    Messages:
    2,306
    Likes Received:
    107
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    WTF
    Actually, since the wife gave the police a statement, I don't believe they don't need her as a witness.

    The State doesn't necessarily need her to want to press charges. Generally when a victim wants to press charges, the state pursues the case on the victims behalf. However, if there is enough evidence, or if the nature of the crime can be shown to endanger the public, the state can pursue without her cooroboration or cooperation.

    That being said, the number of war vets, catastrophe victims, and even every day crime victims suffering from PTSD is probably higher than even the most liberal estimates.
     
  7. Azure_Knight

    Azure_Knight Community Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    Threads:
    44
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    That's pretty messed up that they are going after him (especially when the wife isn't pressing charges). That's a pretty crappy way to go about things: serve your country, develop PTSD, and when things fall apart you get charged back home. If anything, the military needs to do a better job of treating PTSD (and no, I don't think they should just give out more medicine).
     
  8. alcyone

    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2008
    Threads:
    33
    Messages:
    2,306
    Likes Received:
    107
    Trophy Points:
    210
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    WTF
    You won't hear me arguing with any of this.

    It is very crappy how PTSD isn't addressed in the military. Even worse, when people are cognizant enough of the problem if they do seek assistance they can lose security clearances, weapons qualifications, flight status, etc. Basically if you are active duty (AF....not sure how bad it is in the other US branches) and seek help for a mental condition, you've pretty much ended your career.
     
  9. Lurker

    Lurker Has nothing to destroy
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Threads:
    78
    Messages:
    4,253
    Likes Received:
    165
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    It doesn't matter if someone doesn't want to press charges, a police statement has been made, have you people never watched Law & Order?!?!


    It's not about fair and unfair, it's about the upholding the law for everyone's safety, domestic abuse is one of the most common things police see, this would be nothing new for them for a wife to refuse to press charges, if the law has been broken they have to anyway.

    How often do you see battered wives go back to their husbands? Does their forgiveness, even enabling, make it unfair for any charges to be placed? What is more important, them being alowed to do what they want in their own home or the law stepping in when someone has clearly broken the law and assulted their wife?

    So she wants to stay by his side and not press charges, great, hope it works well for them but that doesn't change what he did nor does it mean that he won't do it again, maybe the next person he does it to won't be so fortunate.

    I don't understand what's so difficult or unfair here.

    1. A statement was given to police, with medical injuries to back it up, saying he tried to kill her.

    2. He clearly is a danger to himself and others.

    3. So the answer is... don't press charges????

    There is no guarantee he's be sent to jail if found guilty but he does need help and it should be mandatory not voluntary, that is where the court comes in.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #9 Lurker, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  10. Shai Gar

    Shai Gar Guest

    Yes, the solution is don't press charges. If she's stupid enough not to, she should have that right.
     
  11. Lurker

    Lurker Has nothing to destroy
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Threads:
    78
    Messages:
    4,253
    Likes Received:
    165
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    Her safety isn't the only thing in consideration here.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,392
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,777
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I disagree. PTSD is overtly stressed and is something you hear about every day during mobing and demobing and it is crammed down your throat. But they aren't gonna put you in handcuff and drag you to the psychologist to "cure" you. You have to at least say something to someone. In fact you dont have to say something, someoneelse can say something on your behalf and you have to go see the doc.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Shai Gar

    Shai Gar Guest

    Most people prefer never to see the doc because the psych has to report everything to their superiors and file it for the army. That's where dad's job as a chaplain comes in. Priests in the Anglican church need to do clinical care as a subject as well as NLP. As chaplains they function as a psych that has client/patient priv. Something that doesn't happen between doc and patient in the army.

    Also, psychs have a creepy demeanour and reputation about them, which is another reason people don't like to see them, let alone most infantry or soldiers who have a culture similar to that of most sporting jocks.

    [​IMG]
     
  14. Azure_Knight

    Azure_Knight Community Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    Threads:
    44
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    It's also a matter of expense. It's probably cheaper to put someone on meds than to have long term psych care (which I assume you would need for PTSD).

    Here's the wiki on the VA.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Veterans_Affairs

    Also, the security breach thing caught my eye. There's always risk of information being stolen as well, so you have to factor that into things somewhere. A visit to the doc's office isn't so simple in today's world.
     
Loading...

Share This Page