Still trying to understand Ni v. Si

Broken705

Regular Poster
Jun 11, 2011
MBTI
Human
Enneagram
unknown
I'm still not sure about Ni and Si. I'm reading more on these functions. I often read things about them being similar.

I frequently reflect on things that happened in the past and want to learn from my mistakes, especially recently. Even though it seems like the stronger I desire redemption, the more awkward I make things bringing up past mistakes when I know it would be better to let it go.

So just a quick a question. Does Si need to learn from past experience?

In my Type Me thread, someone mentioned that Si is not a memory function although they agreed that it came from routine.

See, I remembered that. I did not go back and look at the information. That's what I do a lot with stuff I read when I'm trying to understand it, and I will lump it in with other stuff that I've read.

I must cut this short, because I'm running late for work. Gosh! I think about this stuff too much!

IMO, In terms of past experience, Si copies the entirety, or alters it depending on which result they want to avoid / repeat. (I go to place A then do thing B then eat thing C... or instead Don't go to place A, don't do thing B, don't eat thing C)

Ni puts the pattern. (I go to [a type of places that includes place A]. do [some type of action that includes thing B], then eat [a type of food that includes type C])

Both -can- be routine. Both -can- be creative. Both -can- be outside the box. Both -can- be rigid.
But both plays on different aspects.

Si (with assistance of Ne) tries different things by changing the object altogether (I'm bored with surfing. How about hiking instead? Or going to a museum?)
Ni (with assistance of Se) tries different things by changing the pattern (I'm bored with [playing in water / facing waves / meeting my surfer companions / going to long trips >> surfing], how about doing something else instead? [Like what? Staying inside a room? Meeting new people? Going somewhere when you rarely see blue? >> hiking? museum?])

Am I wrong? .___.;;;