Still Confused About Your Type? Take a Look at This Article. | INFJ Forum

Still Confused About Your Type? Take a Look at This Article.

sassafras

Jun 17, 2009
MBTI
For those of you who are having trouble typing yourselves because you're under stress or battling depression and anxiety, or just plainly have no idea where to start, this is a pretty awesome article. It explains the cognitive functions in terms of what's activated when we're stressed, the strategy of each functions, and what your 'go to's' mean in terms of your correct type.

I strongly encourage everyone to be honest with themselves. The results might surprise you (then again, they might not).

Check it out and let me know what you think: http://www.ralphlewis.co.uk/Skills_files/Stress Management.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Nixie and Free Mind
Thanks, will read tomorrow~ ^^

First document on the internet that I find using the Jungian model of typology. Not MBTI, not Kersey's nor Bebee's. HOWEVER, they seem to be mixing it up with the other models. :/

Thanks for sharing just the same, TDHT. :)

Last edited:
First document on the internet that I find using the Jungian model of typology. Not MBTI, not Kersey's nor Bebee's. HOWEVER, they seem to be mixing it up with the other models. :/

Thanks for sharing just the same, TDHT. :)

I may be misinterpreting, but are you dismissing the entire article on grounds that they're blending models? You might want to share with the class what you mean; not everyone is familiar with the different models and how you may think that is somehow problematic. You might be dissuading someone from not taking a closer look at the article and judging it on what it's got right. That, and it promotes healthy discussion. :)

For example, I find the descriptions on the cognitive function stress points and behaviours to be extremely accurate. That alone is a rather valuable gauge as to what function is in play. I've never encountered quite a succinct description of any solid expression of cognitive function that helps us recognize it in ourselves.

I was for quite a while, mainly due to multiple things. But now it seems clear. I'll give this a read too, thanks!

I may be misinterpreting, but are you dismissing the entire article on grounds that they're blending models? You might want to share with the class what you mean; not everyone is familiar with the different models and how you may think that is somehow problematic. You might be dissuading someone from not taking a closer look at the article and judging it on what it's got right. That, and it promotes healthy discussion. :)

For example, I find the descriptions on the cognitive function stress points and behaviours to be extremely accurate. That alone is a rather valuable gauge as to what function is in play. I've never encountered quite a succinct description of any solid expression of cognitive function that helps us recognize it in ourselves.

......No. I wasn't dismissing the article at all.

What I meant is that they use Jungian notation, for example. ET for extroverted thinking instead of Te, but they are using Lenore's definition of Te. EN for Ne, IF for Fi etc, etc.

You don't find many articles on the internet that use that notation so I was excited to see that you found one..

......No. I wasn't dismissing the article at all.

What I meant is that they use Jungian notation, for example. ET for extroverted thinking instead of Te, but they are using Lenore's definition of Te. EN for Ne, IF for Fi etc, etc.

You don't find many articles on the internet that use that notation so I was excited to see that you found one..

Ah, I thought as much. Thanks for clarifying. :)

That was an interesting approach. However, my results seem typically ambiguous to me. There is a lot of Fi in there as usual.

Stress

Fi = 9
Te = 8
Fe, Ni, Ti = 7
Se = 6
Ne, Si = 5

Satisfactions

Ni = 11 (This might be as low as 8 considering the 'either way' factor)
Fi = 7
Fe = 5 (This might be as high as 8 considering the 'either way' factor)
Si = 3
Te = 2
Se, Ne = 1
Ti = 0 (Really? Wow)

Combined Totals

Ni = 18 (15~)
Fi = 16
Fe = 12 (~15)
Te = 10
Si = 8
Se, Ti = 7
Ne = 6

Overall

Intuition = 24
(21~)
Sensing = 15

Feeling = 28 (~31)
Thinking = 17

Extroverted = 35 (~38)
Introverted = 49 (46~)

Judging = 45 (~48)
Percieving = 39 (36~)

This almost makes me think I could be an INFP. J and P are close, F is dominant, and Fi is quite strong. E and I are not especially close this time, so that's sort of ruling out ENFJ as dominant.

However, these results correlate to most other tests I've taken which place INFJ, INFP, and ENFJ in a close cluster for the top spot, therefore the test has validity to some degree. If anything isn't fitting the mold, it's me and not the tests as my scores are pretty consistent regardless of which test I take. Also, the differences in the 'either way' questions seem to make the typical difference between my ENFJ leanings. Yup. This lines up with my typical NF ambiguity.

Edited to Add: The fact that so many tests have similar cognitive function scores supports my theory that cognitive functions are simply a measure of the level of activity in certain parts of the brain - and are unique to each individual much like a mental 'fingerprint'. My brain has a lot of activity in the cingulate (Ni) and limbic (Fi and some Fe) centers, as well as some frontal lobe (Fe and Te) and sidereal (Ti) centers. More often than not, an individual's function preferences can fit rather comfortably into one of the 16 MBTI/JCF types. In some cases, they don't fit so neatly. It's not a failing of the system so much as an oversight on how the system applies to the reality of the mind. The system fits the mind, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Combined

Se 22
Ne 25
Te 25
Fe 26
Si 18
Ni 22
Ti 25
Fi 23

S 40
N 47
T 50
F 49

E 98
I 78

J 99
P 87

Interesting.

Leisure

Se 9
Ne 13
Te 13
Fe 13
Si 9
Ni 13
Ti 15
Fi 11

S 18
N 26
T 28
F 24

E 48
I 48

J 52
P 44

Seems to say quite a bit. Would never of thought Ti would be that high though. Si is a bit lacking as well :(

EDIT: actually, I'm now much more confused than I was before. Does anyone know how to interpret this information? It looks pretty borderline INFJ/INTJ.

Last edited:
This was very interesting, thank you for sharing. I found it difficult to do the tests because I have lived with a found ways of coping with anxiety for most of my life, which means that the answer to every question was basically YES and I was finding it hard to prioritise. I can't remember what was natural before I started learning new skills.

I think I have pretty much confirmed to myself that I am INFJ and these would be my feelings on the matter.

I feel stressed when:
- I have no sense of direction
- My life has no meaning
- I am not in control (looking at the article, this actually seems to be a Te thing)
- There is a problem either in my relationships with others or a tension in my workplace among others or including myself
- I cannot help (feel helpless) or am of no use (feel incapable)
- I have to deal with too many details or count things or there is finicky work to do.

Stress feels like:
- Spiralling thoughts, trying to work out the same thing over and over by coming at it from different directions
- Numbness or blankness (more so than "feelings")
- A sense of hurriedness, racing thoughts
- Self-absorption in a "who am I?" way and "why do I feel like this?" way - coming up with lots of theories but throwing them out and trying another - nothing ever fits
- Constantly talking to others about it, need external feedback, need constant reassurance
- Physical illness, usually not typical "stress" symptoms as listed but flu-like symptoms, passing out randomly, memory loss, confusion, disorientation - my physical symptoms normally seems to mimic those of neurological conditions (that I'm unaware of). They're not typical to stress so I'm generally always taken into hospital and checked etc - always somatic or psychosomatic.

Things that actually help:
- when I had eating disorders, I found that keeping a spreadsheet and measuring my progress helped - having the information in front of me made it less chaotic and brought a sense of order. I did this to a greater extent with graphs and things later!
- Visualising myself as the opposite of how I feel - say confident, etc - convincing myself of another feeling - I can generally change the way I see, feel etc if I just focus. I can make colours look brighter, induce the feeling of happiness etc - if I imagine it I can make it real.
- Distraction - from the thoughts, stops them spiralling - being around others to take me out of it helps.
- Being once removed - "oh look, it's anxiety, it doesn't matter why, it's just a feeling, it's natural" - i.e. NOT CLASSIFYING! The more you classify and look for causation the worse it gets. Trivialising has been the best thing I ever learned.

It seems to me there's kind of a mix of things from the article in there but I would definitely suggest not using your natural coping skills to deal with anxiety (unless you know it works). You're probably just making it worse or avoiding the issue.

Interesting test.

Stress results

13IN
7FE
7IF
5IS
5EN
5ES
4IT
3ET

Satisfactions

8IF
6IN
6EN
5ES
3IT
1FE
1IS
0ET

Combined
19IN
15IF
10EN
10ES
8EF
7IT
6IS
3ET

Introvert 47
Extrovert 31

Judging 33
Perceiving 45

If I remove the Ni, I fit INFP and ISFP types. If my Se was lower I'd fit the INFJ profile, excepting that my perceiving functions scored higher. A quandary indeed.

I find the results quite confusing.

Stress :

ES : 10
EN : 3
ET : 5
EF : 11
IS : 3
IN : 1
IT : 9
IF : 6

But if we take into account the test, I am stressed by ES and EF but use IT to deal with it and at the same time find it difficult to use IT. I do not think that a preferred function should get a high score in causing stress but I could be wrong.

Satisfaction :

EN : 11
ET : 1

IN : 13
IT : 5

I've got 0 in sensing and feeling... great.

So it's even more confusing. I'll read it properly tomorrow I guess.

I tried this again and got similar results. I read the whole thing this time, and the part that describes Ni-doms under stress is especially true for me.