Staying engaged while consuming media | INFJ Forum

Staying engaged while consuming media

slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
We live in a culture of entertainment consumption- where people trade their free time to watch television, Netflix, YouTube. For me personally I've found this to be a waste of time. A lot of people say they do these activities to relax, to turn their brain "off" but for me doing not streaming things to relax has improved my mental health.

I'm not here to get on a soap box though.

What I'm curious about is what do you do to stay engaged mentally with the media you consume? I had banned myself from watching tv shows or movies and restricted YouTube usage, but decided if I took notes and "reviewed" what I watched as I watched it I was not turning my brain off, I was engaged, and therefore not wasting my time.

Does anyone else have other things they do on a similar vein? Looking for suggestions, discussion, just thought on this concept. For me personally I've been trying to consume less and create more, I know not everyone else feels that way so I don't impose my views- it's just what works for me.

Get married, eat donuts, win life.

Ah but on a serious level: As long as you are aware of what you are consuming (proper tracking) it's all well and good for the most part.
I cut down my media consumption a while back and it did wonders for me. You don't think it's having much of an effect, but it's all carefully designed to manipulate your emotions.
Just don't blame yourself for "getting got" and maintain an honest look at your habits.

I listen to podcasts a lot while driving or doing house work, I like the wonky stuff and will often replay 30 seconds to 2 mins at a time to understand what exactly was said. The best thing to do for your brain other than reading above your grade level is to get exercise. And not just a long walk but really get the heart pounding for an extended period of time.

I listen to podcasts while working and cooking. Outside of those times I read on my phone (largely this site and a Marvel comic's app). I really don't get to consume media like I did pre kids. I have to make really selective choices and things I consume will for sure have to be important enough to warrant the time commitment.

Good on you @slant

I don’t watch that much tv. My main problems are my phone and computer, and I’m disturbed by how addicted I’ve gotten to those forms of media within the past decade. I left my phone at work while going to lunch last week and I felt crazy pangs which reminded me of forgetting my smokes or a lighter when I used to smoke. My brain was like “WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT FOR A WHOLE 30 MIN WHILE I STUFF MY STUPID FACE????”

Hi @slant

I'm a bit worse than you. Gave up on TV two years ago. Facebook account deleted (though I still go scrolling once in a while)

I suppose I stay engaged in life. I think if I didn't work and could exist without the cash rolling in I would probably do more walking down the beach as opposed to consuming more media!

Ok! I'm going hiking tomorrow because fuck sitting on my ass all day.

Does anyone else have other things they do on a similar vein?
Basically, almost everything I do is instrumental. I'm the kind of guy who schedules his leisure. If I don't have my a plan documented somewhere, I tend to have a mental schedule of what my next move is. Honestly, I'm a pretty obsessive-compulsive sort of person and my soul is terrifying.

As for consuming less...

Be a maker, not a taker.

I grew up with media being an integral part of my life especially early childhood. I can't hate it too much. It's given me a lot to enjoy and helped me understand the world in ways I couldn't really give back. So, am not a fan of seeing media as inherently good or bad. It's what you watch and how you consume it that makes the difference. I think it can be easy overdose on programs that maybe aren't culturally or intellectually rich or perhaps uplifting, but then that's subjective. What one person feels is nonsense, is brilliance to someone else. But if you become self aware of your media habits, and made deliberate choices in what you watch, and balance your time with media with activities which allow you to have healthy interests and hobbies in your own life, then I don't see a major problem. I really think it comes down to what you consume and why.

For example, I joined Instagram some time ago, and followed a few celebs who I was watching on TV. After a while, I realized I didn't like or didn't feel very empowered by the images they posted. It was too much about "Hey look how hot I am, and how stylish and how . . . I am" so I stopped following them. Instead. I started to follow artists since I really enjoy art and seeing what others do which can inspire me to try new things, and that's cool because it motivates me to see what else I can do rather than spending time scrolling through pictures of other people living supposedly envious lives. Another example is watching Youtube. Yes sometimes I get caught up on watching videos on celebrity surprising fans, but just today I was inspired by some really cool videos on film criticism, which reminded me how much I loved studying film as an art.