aus
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
1w9
Spirituality vs. Intelligence
article
http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/spirituality-vs-intelligence.htm

Personally i agree with this. I think that intelligence exercised and explored to its fullest will lead to some kind of spiritual awareness. Not religious awareness or dogma, but an expanding of consciousness, arriving to a point where one realises that there are more questions than answers, where everything must be questioned, the self included.

Some of the most strongly 'athiest' (whatever that means) people i know are also the most spiritual. They really have a sense of awe and appreciation for everything around them including themselves. They understand how their actions effect the world.

I dont think that religion and spirituality are incompatible but somehow more difficult to manage together. I know a couple of people that are religious and highly spiritual, but many people seem to get caught up in dogma and fear, thereby closing their mind and limiting free thought.

Reactions: muir and barbad0s
In some ways religion was created to suppress mankind's ability to be intelligent so the common man does not get "too smart" and start questioning those on the top who are running the show. In that regard monotheism failed because it did not account for man's own ability to choose what they wished to practice and follow. I feel like the expansive nature of human consciousness on the personal and collective level can never be truly suppressed. Even if the majority refuse to acknowledge it; there were always groups of intellectuals who fought to bring light to all that may exist even if our little brains can't comprehend it.

I think that intelligent people are drawn to new ideas, or new perspectives on old ideas. Unintelligent people don't like to think, so they're more likely to choose a 'side' and then do whatever that side wants them to, or mindlessly repeat whatever they think that their side believes without attempting to bring anything new to it or personalize it in any way.

I'd imagine that an intelligent atheist would have more in common with an intelligent Christian than they would an unintelligent atheist... but at the same time, I don't think that a great intellect always equals a great sense of the spiritual-- it depends on how you apply yourself. I also think that the mind can be a huge distraction.

But someone's spirituality tends to thrive when it is being renewed or reappraised through discussion/meditation/etc... and unintelligent people tend not to have the patience for those kinds of things.

i really don't think one has anything to do with the other. i think there are some incredibly intelligent people out there who haven't got a spiritual sense to them and then there are some that are as dumb as wood but their faith shines like a beacon, then there are all the shades in between
i consider myself both an intelligent and a spiritual person, but i don't feel that my intellect is what drove me to search spiritually. that is in me. that is a force i do not control.

I always think it isn't about one stance versus another. It is about achieving a balance in your life. I believe that there are 4 Aspects of Being. Physical, Emotional, Intellectual and Spiritual. If you exercise one too much it creates an imbalance to one or all of the others. My beliefs tell me that you have to be conscious and mindful that everything you do and say touches on each of these Aspects. The key to finding balance is to be able to perceive yourself and the Other as it relates to each of these Aspects.

BTW....key to the universe there ;)

Exploring things to their fullest takes a lifetime. Too much commitment.

Jack of all ideologies, master of none.

There is a difference about how intelligent you are and how much information did you know, yes.

There is also a difference about how spiritual you are and how much dogma did you believe, methinks.

TL/DR, title of the article seem to imply an immediate flame war.

surprisingly none has come, good jobs guys you can have nice things

Reactions: Quiet and Trifoilum
Well, of course if you are VERY intelligent it's likely that you are NOT Spiritual.. Because being spiritual is almost the same thing as being RELIGIOUS and of course all smart people have long ago became Atheists! And it's well established that ATHEISTS are not Spiritual 'cause they just believe in Einstein and Darwin, not in Jesus. I always thought that Jesus is a much more spiritual person for other spiritual people to believe in.. Spiritual as in having a lot of spirit!!! Bukowski was spiritual because he was soaked in SPIRITS most of the time.
So, thus from my greatly written and researched argument Intelligent People are not Spiritual and Spiritual people are those who go to AA meetings on Sundays.

Last edited:
Well, of course if you are VERY intelligent and it's likely that you are NOT Spiritual.. Because being spiritual is almost the same thing as being RELIGIOUS and of course all smart people have long ago became Atheists! And it's well established that ATHEISTS are not Spiritual 'cause they just believe in Einstein and Darwin, not in Jesus. I always thought that Jesus is a much more spiritual person for other spiritual people to believe in.. Spiritual as in having a lot of spirit!!! Bukowski was spiritual because he was soaked in SPIRITS most of the time.
So, thus from my greatly written and researched argument Intelligent People are not Spiritual and Spiritual people are those who go to AA meetings on Sundays.

idiocy at its finest.

I'm taking the nice things back

I'm taking the nice things back

b-b-but I want nice things. :(

My take is kind of peculiar. Simple consciousness expanding, to admit that there is much one cannot know, having a greater amount of unity with the universe... I think that is pretty par for the course with atheists. It seems like the ones I know, myself included, tend to feel very "in tune" with the world around us. Environmentalism is strong within atheist and rationalist circles because it's pretty hard to ignore at this point, since in many senses the Earth is basically crying for help and relief. I think that whole "awareness" of the planet, of the universe, space, ... whatever else... is more often inspired by an intelligent worldview than anything. Yet, accordingly, these things brought about by way of intelligence... are often called spiritual pursuits.

Forget the idea of spirituality vs. intelligence, it's more like dogmatic religionists vs. intelligence. That is the only real divide. There are some really smart dogmatic religionists that use what they have to back up their pre-conceived worldview, and that's where the problem starts: if one wishes to modify the world to fit one's beliefs, one is ignoring the spirit of the world itself. Until the point when dogmatic religionists use intelligence wrongly to distort the world, there is much commonality to be had between spirituality and intelligence.

Reactions: Quiet
In some ways religion was created to suppress mankind's ability to be intelligent so the common man does not get "too smart" and start questioning those on the top who are running the show. In that regard monotheism failed because it did not account for man's own ability to choose what they wished to practice and follow. I feel like the expansive nature of human consciousness on the personal and collective level can never be truly suppressed. Even if the majority refuse to acknowledge it; there were always groups of intellectuals who fought to bring light to all that may exist even if our little brains can't comprehend it.
On that, as for how it is expressed in Christianity, it is very true of Catholicism (in general, especially in their official dogma...look up some of the views laid out in their various councils that one would need to have to be considered anathema, as well as their considering even reading the bible to only be done by clergy because--paraphrased simply--"Laymen would probably interpret it incorrectly." I have talked to some Catholics who have a bible but have never actually opened it because of that, it just sits around collecting dust. Here in the U.S. they are usually not as strict about it as they, in my opinion, do not seem to have as strong an importance placed on papal authority as people closer geographically to the Vatican are, though there are still exceptions to that even now.) and some of the more recent [mid-20th century iirc] expressions of Protestantism (i.e. those who believe in young earth creation, who throw science and logic entirely out the window...the stereotypical 'bible thumpers' who rely more on emotion and unquestioning tradition than critical thinking).
sarcastic humor at its finest.
Fixed that for you. ;)

Last edited:
I agree. Actually, no I don't. The of illusion duality will keep you blind. Picking one over the other is not always the answer (Which is the case here). Sometimes, the answer is both or not choosing any of the choices as a third option. You must have both qualities to be a balanced individual and without balance of your nature you will limit yourself. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
i really don't think one has anything to do with the other. i think there are some incredibly intelligent people out there who haven't got a spiritual sense to them and then there are some that are as dumb as wood but their faith shines like a beacon, then there are all the shades in between
i consider myself both an intelligent and a spiritual person, but i don't feel that my intellect is what drove me to search spiritually. that is in me. that is a force i do not control.

Agreed. However, I think that intelligent people, when they are spiritual as well conduct their spirituality in a more admirable/inspiring way than dim people do.