spiritual vs. emotional connection | INFJ Forum

spiritual vs. emotional connection

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
At first i thought these two were the same, but i'm not sure.

Is there a huge difference between a spiritual and emotional connection?

Hmmmm.....
On first tought -no.
On second - yes....emotional is easier to detect.
So, emotional is something that needs time. Spiritual would be feeling od connection without any reasonable reason....Times when you just feel someone who you don't know well...

Reactions: Gaze
[MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION]
I know....:) I am just trying:)

I'd say there's a distinct difference.

Emotional connections often involve a varying degrees of passion, and usually have an extroverted energy flow. An emotional connection is an attachment to something outside of oneself, and therefore it is dependent on that item for its reactions.

Spirituality comes from within, and usually evokes stronger (but less common) emotions. Also, spirituality can create a sense of contentedness. The thing about spirituality, though, is that it is self-sufficient -- the reason why spirituality is so important in so many religions is because it allows the individual to accept and deal with whatever external issues there are, since the emotional responses with spirituality are all self-contained. There's no external dependance, which is what makes it so powerful.

I'd say there's a distinct difference.

Emotional connections often involve a varying degrees of passion, and usually have an extroverted energy flow. An emotional connection is an attachment to something outside of oneself, and therefore it is dependent on that item for its reactions.

Spirituality comes from within, and usually evokes stronger (but less common) emotions. Also, spirituality can create a sense of contentedness. The thing about spirituality, though, is that it is self-sufficient -- the reason why spirituality is so important in so many religions is because it allows the individual to accept and deal with whatever external issues there are, since the emotional responses with spirituality are all self-contained. There's no external dependance, which is what makes it so powerful.

Now, how this relate to differences between a spiritual connection with someone vs. an emotional connection with that person?

[MENTION=77]gloomy-optimist[/MENTION]

yes
emotional deals with the more superficial feelings... feeling happy around a person, feeling loved, safe, etc

spiritual connection feels alot more like channelling the sublime through the sum of two people

Now, how this relate to differences between a spiritual connection with someone vs. an emotional connection with that person?

So, while everyone would agree that there is something like emotional connection, I am not sure that everybody would agree that there is something like spiritual...For some people it is nothing more than idealistic view...
I think that there is something like that.
Do you think that both sides have to feel it. because if not, could it still be spiritual connection?

So, while everyone would agree that there is something like emotional connection, I am not sure that everybody would agree that there is something like spiritual...For some people it is nothing more than idealistic view...
Do you think that both sides have to feel it. because if not, could it still be spiritual connection?

I guess this is essentially what i'm asking: whether we can define spiritual connection as being mutual while emotional connections are not necessarily mutual.

I think you can... I mean... sometimes you see a depth of someone that they may not see of you
or a detail of their being may trigger a rush of connections

whether spiritual connection has to be mutual while you can feel emotionally connected to someone but without it being mutual.

As much as I want that it could be, I think that spiritual should be mutual...

[MENTION=77]gloomy-optimist[/MENTION]

I agree with that to a degree. Spiritual connections are a lot harder to come by and difficult to generate yourself. A spiritual connection in a relationship would be one that does not break from pressure from difficulties. In other words, there are some people that feel as if they can rely on the other person no matter what, without really needing to verify or doubt that.

It makes me think of a poem by John Donne, called A Valediction Forbidding Mourning. One of the ideas of the poem is that some loves feel lost when a person is absent -- that is an emotional connection. Donne's poem is about the death of his wife, but he sees her absence as an "expansion" because, since they are one being without need of the physical reassurance, the space between them just become part of them as well. It's quite lovely.

I think a lot of people consider spiritual and emotional connections to be synonymous, possibly because the euphoria is so similar. But there is more to being spiritually connected than just an emotional high. I guess you could call it "awareness."

I think spiritual connection can be increased or decreased by your current emotional state, like wind to a flame. But spiritual connection in a "pure" form would be independent of emotion. I think it is in this feeling of transcendence that we are capable of connecting more deeply, and more easily able to practice such things as forgiveness, than we are with only an emotional connection.

These are all subjective opinions but...

My connotation of emotional connection is less deep than spiritual connection. Spiritual connection seems to me like something that is eternal. Emotional connection can be temporary or be gone after a period of time.

Example: You can be emotionally connected to a girl you fuck with because she keeps you from being lonely. You can be spiritually connected with the woman you have been married to for 20 years.

They're two completely independent concepts, that just often tend to have overlap, and can become seamless in some people.

Yes. In my opinion.

Emotional connections are psychological eg; love, hate etc.
I consider the soul to be connected to the mind, but they only briefly overlap.
Spiritual connections are supernatural eg; the holy spirit.

Yes. In my opinion.

Emotional connections are psychological eg; love, hate etc.
I consider the soul to be connected to the mind, but they only briefly overlap.
Spiritual connections are supernatural eg; the holy spirit.

Spiritual connections don't have to be supernatural. They are most commonly connected to religion, but they can exist without. Some aspects of Buddhism and Confucianism come to mind because it emphasizes spiritual awakening without necessarily involving a deity.

Hmm. I had to think about this for a minute. I do believe that spiritual and emotional connections are two different things. I feel like a spiritual connection transcends both the physical and the emotional and there becomes a mutual understanding and some kind of meeting upon the same wavelengths and frequencies. I think like Indy said earlier sometimes the emotional and the spiritual will overlap and mold into each other.

Spiritual connections don't have to be supernatural. They are most commonly connected to religion, but they can exist without. Some aspects of Buddhism and Confucianism come to mind because it emphasizes spiritual awakening without necessarily involving a deity.

Define the difference between supernatural and natural and how they tie into together with spirituality.

Define the difference between supernatural and natural and how they tie into together with spirituality.

"Supernatural" implies that there is an otherworldly aspect that is not confined to natural experience. While spirituality is often associated with the supernatural in popular opinion, it can also be experienced through such activity as meditation, deep focus, and mental stimulation. One does not need to connect it to a deity or a soul in order to experience it.

In any given religion, there are certain practices that focus on creating a spiritual mentality. Fasting, meditation/ prayer, and structured lifestyle all serve to create a heightened spiritual experience. The fact that they are associated with religion does not make the experience any less a natural phenomenon.

This is a very interesting question. I posted it (I hope you don't mind Res) on the Christian forums out of curiosity to hear their answers. I'm still waiting for a suitable answer that I can use.