Speech and Language Therapy

Altruistic Muse

Community Member
Apr 6, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4?
I am seriously considering this career for myself, but I need to be very discerning as it will have to be my final change. Does anyone here have any advice about the profession? I think it is called Speech Pathology in the US and Australia... So far there are lots of pros. I am in the middle of a two day introduction course at my local hospital and found it very inciteful.

My concerns sound silly, but there are a few. Firstly it is a female dominated profession, and I get on a hell of a lot better with men. But I guess that's my own problem, which I'll have to improve on with practice! Secondly, I am wondering just how daunting this kind of client contact is. I am low in confidence right now. A combination of crappy sleep due to shift patterns, and a brain-numbing job for the past year. I am usually great at meeting and talking to new people but I'm just not feeling it at the moment. So I guess it's not a great time to be evaluating how good I would be at the job! Anyway I digress.

Any thoughts?

I don't know a ton about this but from what I do know (and this is specific to Canada), there is a fair amount of client contact. The good news is that while speech language pathologists often work in team environments (if you work in the non-private sector), a lot of your work tends to be with your clients. I can't think of too many situations where you might have extensive contact with your colleagues other than at staff meetings, in between appointments, or if discussing a mutual client (ex. in the hospital you might discuss someone's progress with the physician, nurse, etc.). There is also contact with family members, of course.

The speech language pathologists I was around had a fair amount of client contact. These ones happened to work with young kids (0-6) in a public health sector and had several appointments each day. Parents also attended the sessions. The kind of contact you'd have with your clients really does depend on who they are, since interacting this kind of age group/speech difficulties is so different from rehab vs. elderly vs. older kids vs. a less clinical role. I can't imagine too many non-clinical roles with little or no client contact, but I'm sure a few exist. However, if you typically feel comfortable working with others and imagine you'd enjoy having client contact once back to your regular self, then it'll probably be okay. You know yourself best. :)

I hope this helps! That's all I can think of right now but if you have any questions feel free to ask. :)

Out of curiosity, what made you consider going into SLP?

I don't know a ton about this but from what I do know (and this is specific to Canada), there is a fair amount of client contact. The good news is that while speech language pathologists often work in team environments (if you work in the non-private sector), a lot of your work tends to be with your clients. I can't think of too many situations where you might have extensive contact with your colleagues other than at staff meetings, in between appointments, or if discussing a mutual client (ex. in the hospital you might discuss someone's progress with the physician, nurse, etc.). There is also contact with family members, of course.

The speech language pathologists I was around had a fair amount of client contact. These ones happened to work with young kids (0-6) in a public health sector and had several appointments each day. Parents also attended the sessions. The kind of contact you'd have with your clients really does depend on who they are, since interacting this kind of age group/speech difficulties is so different from rehab vs. elderly vs. older kids vs. a less clinical role. I can't imagine too many non-clinical roles with little or no client contact, but I'm sure a few exist. However, if you typically feel comfortable working with others and imagine you'd enjoy having client contact once back to your regular self, then it'll probably be okay. You know yourself best. :)

I hope this helps! That's all I can think of right now but if you have any questions feel free to ask. :)

Out of curiosity, what made you consider going into SLP?

Thanks v much Soulful, great advice! I love people (when I'm feeling myself and confident). And I have been craving a job that makes a difference. A job where I get to think about other people, and forge a relationship with clients, watch their progress over time, and come up with creative plans for treatment really appeals. I also think it would be a great use of intuition! It is a profession which not only allows, but requires flexibility and the ability to listen and read what is best for each individual. This isn't all the common, I think it's quite special. In addition to this, it spans both science and language. I have never been able to choose between the two, I find both equally fascinating, and a combination of the two is ideal. It also draws psychology in. Great :)

I think the confidence thing is something I can work on. I mean even now, after a relaxing evening and a good stint of self-hypnosis, I feel good. It's just such a rollercoaster with my current job. I need to get out of it so I can return to my happy, far less temperamental self. When my best self, I think I could be an awesome speech therapist. Hehe. This is the positive me speaking. That's a nice change for the present :)