Sony Vegas questions

Bloom

Regular Poster
Jan 5, 2011
MBTI
INTfJp
Enneagram
5w6
Are there any people here who work with Sony Vegas? I am a starter and have Vegas Pro 9.0, I tried making a video but I can't preview it right, it is lagging and the video is distorted :S Help.

Are there any people here who work with Sony Vegas? I am a starter and have Vegas Pro 9.0, I tried making a video but I can't preview it right, it is lagging and the video is distorted :S Help.
Video editing can require a lot of processing power. My guess is that either your computer can't handle it, or sony vegas isn't that great with previewing video. These things happen with software.

I use it every day - but 98% of the time it's for audio.

Also: what o_q said.

I ... have Vegas Pro 9.0, I tried making a video but I can't preview it right, it is lagging and the video is distorted :S Help.

Please list the specifications of the computer platform you are using, with a particular emphasis on processor, RAM, and storage media used for editing and playback, as well as the operating system type and revision.

thanks,
Ian

I've used it quite a bit. If it

Please list the specifications of the computer platform you are using, with a particular emphasis on processor, RAM, and storage media used for editing and playback, as well as the operating system type and revision.

thanks,
Ian

I was afraid of this question :D I am never sure what to write and where to find the details... trying to copy something:

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate
AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 440 Processor
2gb RAM
Graphics card Radeon X1950 Pro
Memory used for graphics 1023MB

I am usually editing avi files, I cut clips from movies and tv shows with VideoPad... What else should I write?..

Thanks for your answers :eek:)

another thing to note is that it requires more processing power to playback certain video formats.
For instance: raw video requires the least to process, mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 is pretty cheap, and h.264 would be the most taxing on your CPU.
Also, you want to keep the preview size of your video small.

If it's really bothering you, you can convert your video to a raw format first, then edit the raw video. The good thing is that this is your best chance at previewing it faster, and you don't have to worry about re-compression since you're not compressing it. The bad thing is that it's an extra step, and the disk cost is high. You'll need lots of HD space for it, though this shouldn't be a problem with the large disks we have these days.

Last edited:
If it's really bothering you, you can convert your video to a raw format first, then edit the raw video. The good thing is that this is your best chance at previewing it faster, and you don't have to worry about re-compression since you're not compressing it. The bad thing is that it's an extra step, and the disk cost is high. You'll need lots of HD space for it, though this shouldn't be a problem with the large disks we have these days.

It isn

It isn’t just a question of space, though that is a real issue — it is also a question of disk speed. Uncompressed HD requires a RAID 0 configuration. Uncompressed NTSC doesn’t, but not much work is done in that res any longer. Even 720 HD will likely require a RAID 0 setup.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=30

cheers,
Ian
As obsolete the concern for disk space, there is the concern for disk speed. Note the date of the article (14 September 2005)

Note the date of the article (14 September 2005)

Yep, and the spec is the same today as it was on 14 September 2005.

cheers,
Ian