Social Work | INFJ Forum

Social Work

Maegan

Dec 19, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
I am really interested in Social Work and was wondering if anyone on here is one or plans to be. Right now I think I'd like to work with Hospice. I'm also interested in counseling and psychology, so I am also thinking things I can do with all of those majors. Any experiences and opinions?

well I was adopted myself me and my twin and put into a home.I have experiences in that if you would like to know

How about a few questions:

What is it that draws you to social work?

In assisting others, what kinds of personal development/alleviation/etc. most captivate your interest?

Is the extended social dimension of those in care (eg. families) of interest to you? In what regard?

well I was adopted myself me and my twin and put into a home.I have experiences in that if you would like to know
Of course! Were they positive experiences and did the social worker seem like they were able to help you as much as they wanted or were there regulatory limits?

How about a few questions:

What is it that draws you to social work?

In assisting others, what kinds of personal development/alleviation/etc. most captivate your interest?

Is the extended social dimension of those in care (eg. families) of interest to you? In what regard?

Well, at first I was focused on Clinical Psychology for years (about 5th-10th grade) but realized that the help I wanted to give people was on a much more personal, sincere, and day-to-day level than I believed Psychology could give me. As a social worker, I am hoping that it will be more like talking to an equal and helping them accomplish their dreams or improve their lives instead of diagnosing and treating them. I did an internship with a local Hospice Care in which I traveled with several different social workers to meet clients in their homes as well as nursing or assisted living homes. The experience was beautiful. People are really amazing and the fact that they were dying didn't even bother me; I was just lucky enough to meet them towards the end of their journey. I believe that with a career like that, I could learn so much while still being able to help people.
People often tell me that I have a calming aura, am sweet, nice, trustworthy, a good listener, caring... and I definitely feel the most fulfillment from compliments like that, whereas being called smart, unique, or pretty feels almost insulting. Even though I am introverted, a good talk with someone can really brighten my day and putting a smile on someone's face can almost make me laugh with joy. Even if there are tears instead of a smile it still makes me feel so much better that I was there for someone that just needed to express their emotions to someone. I work in the guidance office at my school as a student worker and especially enjoy when I feel like it is my place to be able to help someone as much as I want to.
I am interested in a person's social life, but I don't think I could do something like group therapy. I am not very assertive and usually get really nervous or tense when around more than one person so I don't think I could be good at that.

alot of the workers promised me alot of stuff and nothing ever happed

I am really interested in Social Work and was wondering if anyone on here is one or plans to be. Right now I think I'd like to work with Hospice. I'm also interested in counseling and psychology, so I am also thinking things I can do with all of those majors. Any experiences and opinions?

I actually thought about doing social work when I was in college until I realized it's more about navigating bureaucracy than any kind of humanist empowerment by way of analytical psychology which is what I was fundamentally interested in. It also pays horribly which is a consideration that idealists tend to underestimate when they're young.

As far as hospice care work, I'm going to start that as soon as a project at work is finished - but I'm doing it on a strictly volunteer basis. I'm looking forward to the experience and perhaps I'll share my knowledge when I've got some time in the field.

People often tell me that I have a calming aura, am sweet, nice, trustworthy, a good listener, caring... and I definitely feel the most fulfillment from compliments like that, whereas being called smart, unique, or pretty feels almost insulting. Even though I am introverted, a good talk with someone can really brighten my day and putting a smile on someone's face can almost make me laugh with joy. Even if there are tears instead of a smile it still makes me feel so much better that I was there for someone that just needed to express their emotions to someone. I work in the guidance office at my school as a student worker and especially enjoy when I feel like it is my place to be able to help someone as much as I want to.

I may be mistaken, but I believe what you're talking about here is therapy - not social work.

Reactions: acd
alot of the workers promised me alot of stuff and nothing ever happed

That's a lot of what I'm afraid of with the career is that I won't be able to have the sort of freedom I am picturing. Maybe that's what happened with yours.

I actually thought about doing social work when I was in college until I realized it's more about navigating bureaucracy than any kind of humanist empowerment by way of analytical psychology which is what I was fundamentally interested in. It also pays horribly which is a consideration that idealists tend to underestimate when they're young.

As far as hospice care work, I'm going to start that as soon as a project at work is finished - but I'm doing it on a strictly volunteer basis. I'm looking forward to the experience and perhaps I'll share my knowledge when I've got some time in the field.

I may be mistaken, but I believe what you're talking about here is therapy - not social work.

That's part of what I'm afraid of with social work since it is so controlled. I am aware that the pay is low, but my boyfriend and I both plan to work and it is still enough to get by if I needed to. Also, it would be possible to get a second job if the schedules of either job could work out. I know that I am thinking of therapy because many therapists now actually have counseling or clinical social work degrees (at least in my area).
If you don't mind me asking, what career did you end up going with? I guess I could also always do volunteer work with another job like you are. You should let me know how your experience with it goes sometime!

Well, at first I was focused on Clinical Psychology for years (about 5th-10th grade) but realized that the help I wanted to give people was on a much more personal, sincere, and day-to-day level than I believed Psychology could give me. As a social worker, I am hoping that it will be more like talking to an equal and helping them accomplish their dreams or improve their lives instead of diagnosing and treating them. I did an internship with a local Hospice Care in which I traveled with several different social workers to meet clients in their homes as well as nursing or assisted living homes. The experience was beautiful. People are really amazing and the fact that they were dying didn't even bother me; I was just lucky enough to meet them towards the end of their journey. I believe that with a career like that, I could learn so much while still being able to help people.
I am interested in a person's social life, but I don't think I could do something like group therapy. I am not very assertive and usually get really nervous or tense when around more than one person so I don't think I could be good at that.
That's awesome! You care about people.

The field is huge. Telling you what it would be like to be a social worker would be about as useful as telling someone what it's like to be a doctor. There are too many different specializations and possible career paths to sum up the profession or to give you anything more than an armchair idea of "what you'll be doing". Being able to shadow hospice SW's is a good start though, and there's really no better way to get an idea of what direct practice is like in a specific setting. If you like counseling, getting a degree in counseling is useful, but I think that a SW degree is more versatile. Actual therapy will likely require you to be an LCSW, which takes a few more years of professional supervision after grad school. Are you already attending college, or still sizing up options? I'd suggest talking to the SW faculty at your current college/university, or the ones that you'd like to attend. All workplaces have politics. County agencies are notorious for bureaucracy, but community-based agencies, non-profits, and private practice can be far different. Your specific circumstances regarding your education and the professional field are going to vary widely depending upon where you go to school and where you choose to live/work.

If you don't mind me asking, what career did you end up going with? I guess I could also always do volunteer work with another job like you are. You should let me know how your experience with it goes sometime!

I work in the video game industry for a variety of reasons - but primarily because it allows me to remain free in all the ways that matter while still reaping the benefits of a full time, salaried position. It also allows for time outside of work so I can do things like volunteer at a hospice care center. Money + freedom = happy Korg.

Anyway, your mileage may vary on all this. But for me, I suspect marrying empathetic and charitable tendencies to a regimented bureaucratic structure would soon lead to a sense of frustration. If I want to help someone, I want to do it from a personal place where large concerns about my livelihood aren't there - that's just too restrictive. If I have to justify humanitarian labor with a bunch of paperwork, then fuck it.

Reactions: endersgone
I work in the video game industry for a variety of reasons - but primarily because it allows me to remain free in all the ways that matter while still reaping the benefits of a full time, salaried position. It also allows for time outside of work so I can do things like volunteer at a hospice care center. Money + freedom = happy Korg.

Anyway, your mileage may vary on all this. But for me, I suspect marrying empathetic and charitable tendencies to a regimented bureaucratic structure would soon lead to a sense of frustration. If I want to help someone, I want to do it from a personal place where large concerns about my livelihood aren't there - that's just too restrictive. If I have to justify humanitarian labor with a bunch of paperwork, then fuck it.

where do you work at?

The field is huge. Telling you what it would be like to be a social worker would be about as useful as telling someone what it's like to be a doctor. There are too many different specializations and possible career paths to sum up the profession or to give you anything more than an armchair idea of "what you'll be doing". Being able to shadow hospice SW's is a good start though, and there's really no better way to get an idea of what direct practice is like in a specific setting. If you like counseling, getting a degree in counseling is useful, but I think that a SW degree is more versatile. Actual therapy will likely require you to be an LCSW, which takes a few more years of professional supervision after grad school. Are you already attending college, or still sizing up options? I'd suggest talking to the SW faculty at your current college/university, or the ones that you'd like to attend. All workplaces have politics. County agencies are notorious for bureaucracy, but community-based agencies, non-profits, and private practice can be far different. Your specific circumstances regarding your education and the professional field are going to vary widely depending upon where you go to school and where you choose to live/work.

That flexibility is part of what I love about the career. It just seems like a gold-mine of ways to care for people that I can narrow down through school and experiences. I do plan on trying to do more internships, and I've also had very short-term job-shadows or volunteer experiences at a Children's Home, Women's Shelter, and a Cafe that gives out free food every Wednesday.
The extra schooling wouldn't really bother me. I'm saving quite a bit for the first two years and it wasn't until a few months ago that I realized I didn't really need a Doctorate since I had changed my mind on careers.
I have taken dual credit classes but won't officially be a college student until Fall 2012. Anytime I've met a social worker, I try to ask them about their career or just observe. Through internships and working in my school's guidance office, I have talked to about ten social workers and really think it is a career that I would fit into well. Most of those people were community-based and a couple mentioned that a job change from a government agency to community based or private practice made a world of positive difference.
I would like to move closer to a city but have read that employment is better for social workers in more rural areas, which is where I live and have experience in. Also, my boyfriend is still undecided between being a science teacher, biomedical something, or a doctor which the last two would effect where we live because of the location of openings. So I don't really know what will happen with that. Thanks for the advice! What do you have experience in?

Reactions: Sloe Djinn

That's really nice that you were able to work something out like that of Money + Freedom = A very freaked out Mae. I actually enjoy strict schedules, deadlines, organizing, recording, and planning so the paperwork wouldn't bother me too much. I think that for me the structure and controlled environment that you dislike might give me a sense of safety and more of the push I need to help people in a less shy, more ambitious sort of way. I still haven't experienced it yet, so I don't really know yet.

Social work is often very difficult (even just getting the master's degree), and yes the pay is low. People say it can be very rewarding in other ways, but also some people seem very frustrated by it- by having to try to help people in a system that keeps them down, which makes the social worker powerless to really help the person.

I don't know if Satya still comes to these forums, but you should send him a message and ask him about it since he is doing social work now. My advice is to talk to as many people in the field as you can and perhaps try to shadow a social worker to see if it is what you would want.

My advice is to do it on a volunteer basis on the side. Half my family are social workers and I know the torment they go through! Politics, job-bouncing, pay rates, contracts, quotas, etc. About 90% seems to be anything but actually helping people. Plus, as a volunteer, you're given a lot of freedom; when you remove money from the equation, people tend to view you in a much different light.

Social work is often very difficult (even just getting the master's degree), and yes the pay is low. People say it can be very rewarding in other ways, but also some people seem very frustrated by it- by having to try to help people in a system that keeps them down, which makes the social worker powerless to really help the person.

I don't know if Satya still comes to these forums, but you should send him a message and ask him about it since he is doing social work now. My advice is to talk to as many people in the field as you can and perhaps try to shadow a social worker to see if it is what you would want.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but the schooling shouldn't be much of a problem for me. I really enjoy school and tend to do very well. I've heard that it's really rewarding from nearly every social worker I've talked to in person, but the pay is really low. I've heard complaints about how much time the paper work consumes, but am hearing a lot more negative things about it on here. Which is good, I definitely don't want any surprises with the career.
Thanks for the telling me about Satya, I sent them a message so hopefully they'll log back on again sometime!

My advice is to do it on a volunteer basis on the side. Half my family are social workers and I know the torment they go through! Politics, job-bouncing, pay rates, contracts, quotas, etc. About 90% seems to be anything but actually helping people. Plus, as a volunteer, you're given a lot of freedom; when you remove money from the equation, people tend to view you in a much different light.

I would enjoy volunteering, but what would I do for my paying job? Even with all the negative, I'm not sure if there is a job I would enjoy more. Clinical Psychology (which I was interested in for a long time) seems like it would be even more limiting to me and Counseling doesn't seem to be as highly employed except for in schools which I'm not sure I would enjoy all the extra unrelated work put on me. I will consider volunteering but I have to know if another career that I'm interested in is actually any better.

Social work is a profession that a lot of NFs are drawn to. Just know in advance what you are getting yourself into. Like teaching, social work simply is not valued by society. You will be overworked and underpaid. The greatest stress will be that you went into social work to help others, and will find yourself enmeshed in a bureaucracy that inhibits helping others. If you want to be a martyr, if you want to bang your head constantly on the wall, if you don't mind being worn down until you wonder why you ever chose this in the first place and whether it's really been worth it, then yes, your temperament will make you one of the better social workers (at least until you burn out).

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but the schooling shouldn't be much of a problem for me. I really enjoy school and tend to do very well. I've heard that it's really rewarding from nearly every social worker I've talked to in person, but the pay is really low. I've heard complaints about how much time the paper work consumes, but am hearing a lot more negative things about it on here. Which is good, I definitely don't want any surprises with the career.
Thanks for the telling me about Satya, I sent them a message so hopefully they'll log back on again sometime!

I would enjoy volunteering, but what would I do for my paying job? Even with all the negative, I'm not sure if there is a job I would enjoy more. Clinical Psychology (which I was interested in for a long time) seems like it would be even more limiting to me and Counseling doesn't seem to be as highly employed except for in schools which I'm not sure I would enjoy all the extra unrelated work put on me. I will consider volunteering but I have to know if another career that I'm interested in is actually any better.

Well, look at the requirements of the master's programs. They often require you to work for free for a large number of hours in addition to attending your master's courses. Moreso than a question of intelligence, being good at school, etc., you will want to consider that from a practical perspective as well.

Social work is a profession that a lot of NFs are drawn to. Just know in advance what you are getting yourself into. Like teaching, social work simply is not valued by society. You will be overworked and underpaid. The greatest stress will be that you went into social work to help others, and will find yourself enmeshed in a bureaucracy that inhibits helping others. If you want to be a martyr, if you want to bang your head constantly on the wall, if you don't mind being worn down until you wonder why you ever chose this in the first place and whether it's really been worth it, then yes, your temperament will make you one of the better social workers (at least until you burn out).

Wow you're optimistic, but it is true that a lot of social workers do burn out. It is another important thing to consider.