Social judgment: More harm or good? | INFJ Forum

Social judgment: More harm or good?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Are social judgments more helpful or harmful to the social good? How can they be helpful or harmful to the individual? Are there specific cases or examples to prove it's good, bad, or both?

Can you clarify what you mean by social judgment?

social judgments
As in social "decisions" (judgements)

Or

As in I don't like so-and-so because they are so blah blah blah-(judgements)???

:m074:confusion lately as to multiple meanings for the same terms...

Reactions: Bellosome
I see what you meant now @Gist :) and, I understand why I was confused.

I don't volley to social conformity--by choice. I meet a person or persons in a social (or work) setting and I'm apt to form a conclusion on the first encounter...then wait it out. Some instances my "spidy sense" proves right on. Others I'd have to meld a persons behavior with their speech as often one will slap on the social mask that they have become accustomed to wearing when interacting with others. Mainly bc they think or have learned that is what is expected of them.

As an example: I worked for Kelly Services as a Admin consultant. I would be sent to a location for a day, a week, a month (once I was sent for a few hours). Typically on arrival in the morning a person would greet me and discuss what I would need to do. It became a given that by end of day the person who had greeted me had morphed into "someone" else. Whether it was that they had relaxed and felt comfortable...or they relaxed and turned bossy. :) makes a it a bit hard to "judge" a character.

My point being...If I were to "size" up a person perse based on their style of clothing, piercings, hair style/color etc...social norms tell me I should trust a "clean-cut well-dressed" individual over a pink-black hair-half a head shaved with blue steel spikes tatooed/branded ripped blue jeaned bloke with three shirts and a hoody because the latter can't be trusted...I'd have to say bullshit because if I do I've limited myself based on one criteria that is fear-based. ....who sets the "rules" in what and who is acceptable within society??? I set my rules for social interaction.

***This is one reason I'm glad I joined this forum. It is a social clash of "minds" not physicalities, or preconceived notions, of which some meld and some don't; yet, everyone knows their stance and retains their uniqueness through ownership of Who they are---not What they are. :)

Helpful.

I know, I know; what about stereotyping? What about prejudice? What about conformity and the death of creativity and individualism? What about people who exclude each other and judge each other based on superficial appearances? -I've- been judged and discriminated and excluded and it feels awful so why is it helpful????

Those are indeed, the bad examples of social judgment. There are no denying it-- there are no arguing against it.

But the thing is; that is just a fragment of social judgment as a whole.

Social judgment is also not following a stranger to a van or a dark secluded place. The word stranger is in itself a social judgment.
Social judgment is also escaping from an abusive relationship.
Social judgment is also recognizing toxic coworkers and friends and families.
Social judgment is also recognizing actions that are kind, sincere, helpful, supportive, wise, courageous, etc.

Because you learn from other people. What happened to them; what they did, what happened to them.

It's a complicated system and as much as the flaws are causing so much unnecessary pain and suffering, the good side are overall much more overwhelming,