Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit Organizations, Charities

Mogura

Community Member
Dec 18, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Dunno
Is anyone here interested in social entrepreneurship or starting your own NPO? If you have already done such a thing, which cause(s) does your organization support? What made you decide to start an NPO? For those individuals out there who want to start their own NPOs, what advice would you like to give to them? What "lessons learned" would you share?

If you have not done such a thing, but hope to someday, which cause(s) would you like to support through your NPO? What is your timeframe for starting your NPO?

Thanks...

I would like to, my motivation being that it's a matter of giving back to people for the good things that have happened to you, and actively helping to make things better.

Most government organisations are technically non profit - do they count?

Not in this economy! Non-profit directors I know and am rather close friends with are in danger of shutting down and not being able to pay their bills. Their income is based off of other people's income and since most people I know in this day and age are nearly dirt poor...

Otherwise my ideal NPO would be an exotic avian welfare and education center. I wouldn't go for the 100% sanctuary route since there is no relief in taking care of that many animals. Writing articles, visiting schools, promoting eco-tours to other countries, and having a small rescue is the type of organization I would be wanting to start.

Now a days Social entrepreneurship is becoming more popular.. Every organization needs to understand what is social entrepreneurship..
For development program there are several kinds of entrepreneurship.. Those are
1.Creativity.
2.Innovative problem solving
3.Networking
4.Mobilizing people..

If you want to become a social entrepreneur, you can become a world-changer.

social entrepreneurship, Socially Responsible Companies

Non profits

I set up a Non profit organization from scratch based in Nepal, its hard work but after living there for a number of years I had made the right connections. The aim of most Non profits are to survive and help people but I believe too many rely on charity so what we are doing now is recruiting volunteers for various placements then as time goes on building avenues of funding by using what Nepal has to offer the outside world. We are planning to set up a trekking service, wholesale and a goat farm (exploring ideas inside Nepal to raise the money to fund our work) among other projects.
I returned to the UK in 2010 to spend a number of years promoting it and have recently saved one orphanage, had a medical centre built by an American organization and staffed,funded by the Nepali government and now have a documentary being made this year. All of this has cost me time online because there are many people interested in helping but need a good organization on the ground to work with. This is because many NPO have set up in foreign countries and are corrupt. I am looking now to expand into other areas of helping people there as well but struggle a little because i work fulltime in London to fund myself.
Have a look at www.ehn-nepal.org and see what you think.
My advice to anyone starting an NPO is do it but research and build your network first. Because its a great hobby helping people.

So tempted to flag this thread for the spam that's taken over...

I set up a Non profit organization from scratch based in Nepal, its hard work but after living there for a number of years I had made the right connections. The aim of most Non profits are to survive and help people but I believe too many rely on charity so what we are doing now is recruiting volunteers for various placements then as time goes on building avenues of funding by using what Nepal has to offer the outside world. We are planning to set up a trekking service, wholesale and a goat farm (exploring ideas inside Nepal to raise the money to fund our work) among other projects.
I returned to the UK in 2010 to spend a number of years promoting it and have recently saved one orphanage, had a medical centre built by an American organization and staffed,funded by the Nepali government and now have a documentary being made this year. All of this has cost me time online because there are many people interested in helping but need a good organization on the ground to work with. This is because many NPO have set up in foreign countries and are corrupt. I am looking now to expand into other areas of helping people there as well but struggle a little because i work fulltime in London to fund myself.
Have a look at www.ehn-nepal.org and see what you think.
My advice to anyone starting an NPO is do it but research and build your network first. Because its a great hobby helping people.

I can't see myself working for a non-profit but this sounds like a great idea for INFJs and NFs in general. How is it going for you?

Sorry for Including my website details.

I would just like to apologise for adding the website details, this is the first time I have actually written on something like this.

And to Misterni, Its going great but there are always ups and downs, I am working on a funding system using what Nepal has to offer to actually raise money for my organization. It sounds daft but i am not a big fan of charity and believe that each country has something it can use to help its people.

Reactions: MisterNi