So...INFX trying to decide | INFJ Forum

So...INFX trying to decide

Introspec

Two
Aug 6, 2013
MBTI
INFX
I'm a guy in my early twenties, going on and off with my MBTI type. Every now and then I'll think on it to the point where I can be obsessed, but then I'll drop off and just leave it alone.
I'm stuck between INFP and INFJ. I know I'm a feeler, I know I'm an intuitive, and I know I'm an introvert. I've learned the cognitive functions, however I'm terrible at trying to self-analyze myself into the MBTI types; outside views are what I need.
A little about me, and how I tick:

- I'm an idealist. I love pictures and ideologies that are not only beautiful to the eye, but beautiful in essence.
- Individuals sacrificing themselves for the greater good brings tears to my eye. Endings of movies like Final Fantasy: The spirits within, stirs up so many emotions that I can barely bear it. I recently finished Season 10 of Roosterteeth's Red vs. Blue trilogy; the interaction between the antagonist and the protagonists (how broken the antagonist was, and the forgiveness displayed by the protagonist despite everything evil the antagonist put everyone through) just broke me down crying for several minutes.
- People have told me that I always believe I am inconveniencing people. I have noticed that I'm always concerned about getting on the wrong side of people, and I prefer to cater to the wants and needs of others. However, on the other shoe I can sometimes not give a ____ what people think about me or my behavior.
- One time I didn't exceed my self-expectations. I was given a position (an extra duty) over others that would help my career, and I held myself to high standards. When I failed, I decided to step into my boss's office, sit down with him, and tell him that I am submitting my resignation for the extra duty because I felt like I was being a hypocrite. It threw him off. He liked the fact that I had my standards and had the guts to do what I felt was the right thing to do, but he also said that I didn't fail in accordance with the job's description itself. He said he'd consider my resignation but I never heard back.
- I enjoy mentoring and helping people. I'd like to see people reach their potential.
- I'm an abstract viewer who doesn't always see the box in front of him, but the potentials around it. I'll be driving down the road thinking of space, psychology, "I wonder who those people are in that passing car; where are they going, what are their lives like, what is their everyday routines, how is their emotional health, etc".
- I love twisting contexts. I often twist conversations and words (often deliberately, knowing that in the next minute that the probability that they'll say any given thing that I can use to wring a joke out of is relatively high) and I can be a little eccentric in what comes out of my mouth (the people I work with are constantly listening to what I say when I speak, knowing that it may be hilarious). I also twist things around to speak words of wisdom as well. Sometimes I'll link different contexts to the point that it can blow someone's mind (I think this is a Ne thing).
- I enjoy current music like "We are young", "Some nights", "Don't you worry child", "Somebody that I used to know", and music from the Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses, Queen, and Aerosmith, and other bands and songs like "Pour some sugar on me". I also enjoy World Music like Enya and Loreena McKennitt.
- I read a wide variety of genres. I've read all of Stephen Hawking's Science novels, read Dean Koontz (absolutely love his Odd Thomas books, I like his thrillers), Matthew Reilly's fast-paced books, Raymond E. Feist's Fantasies, Conn Igguldon's Historical Fiction, Terry Brook's Fantasies, etc. I read the new editions of Scientific American, and the occasional Economist.
- Physics (and general science), psychology, astronomy, and economics are my favorite topics.
- When I write, I'm very long-winded. I often re-paraphrase things that I said earlier, and I like to go on rampants. People often tell me that in conversations I can go off the main path into other subjects, tie them in to the main subject in a supportive role, and bring everything back to a final conclusion. Unfortunately, I often lose people before I conclude.
- I communicate better, and am far more comfortable engaging, in writing than verbally.
- I believe in empowering individuals, but if I believe someone isn't capable, or if I have great vision for the object/subject/cause itself, I can be controlling.
- I prefer to advise and suggest. I often take a background role where I can influence decisions, and be the "wise individual who will help in whatever way he can in helping you succeed". If anyone asks me what I want to do or where I want to go, my usual answer is "I don't care", or "It doesn't matter to me", or "You decide". I was never a leader, but over the past two years I've become more of a "This is what we need to do" kind of guy who can directly tell people what I need or what we need. I've become more of a leader over the past two years.
- I'm good with money (only because I don't really spend too much money); I'm frugal, and I tend to only go for the minimum. I don't need fancy things like artwork, sports cars, designer clothes, etc. But I do like good food, and can spend quite a bit on that kind of thing.
- I'm a stay-at-home guy who often gets lost in his head/computer/books. But I do enjoy going out on adventures (like hiking, casual rock climbing, cave exploring, etc). I am not an adrenaline junkie though and prefer tame adventures. Skydiving, bungee jumping, rollercoasters, etc, are not things I enjoy at all.
- I'm extremely messy. I often like to throw out the entropy joke to people:

Situations of greater entropy are statistically favored. Things that are
statistically favored tend to happen, especially over time. A disordered
room has greater entropy than an organized one. Thus an organized room
will tend to become disordered over time. The only way to reverse this
is by continually putting in energy from an outside system (i.e. making
the effort to clean your room regularly).

HOWEVER, at some point a disordered room will be maximally entropic.
At this point, continually failing to clean one's room will not generally
result in a more disordered state. Thus no additional input of energy is
needed to maintain the state of the room.

Therefore cleaning one's room is futile - a task for the modern day
Sisyphus. It is much more energetically efficient to allow the room to
stay at its natural, maximally entropic state towards which it will
always tend (and to expend that every on more interesting things).

- With the above joke, I've always had this mindset, and the words capture that perfectly. If I leave something unattended for a short amount of time, and I don't need it, I often ignore it and don't even realize it is there. It is almost like the object is invisible. I will often step over things on the ground like it is part of the floor, and ignore the bottles, cups, cans, etc, on my desk like they're part of the desk.
- I recently took on my first girlfriend, who is an older mature woman with both a masters in psychology and management, and a stable life and career. She's an extrovert, most likely an ENFJ. Getting involved with another person so intimately was one of the hardest mental and emotional barriers I've ever engaged in.
- I often go through cycles of depression-like activity. I can be pessimistic at times, and I can enjoy tragedies. My idealism can sometimes take on a dark perspective.
- I'm laid back, gentle, kind, a contextual joker (and a corny joker at that), but I can also be wound-up and sink into dark thoughts.
- I would sacrifice, and put myself on the line, for anyone I believe deserves it.
- I'm a centrist, and I believe that what you dish is what you deserve. I enjoy analyzing criminals, but I believe that anyone who hurts another individual has it coming to them.

I appreciate the help anyone is willing to give me in getting to the bottom of this analyses.

INFJ. You give a distinct impression of being more a dominant intuitive than a dominant feeler. Among other things.

I get an Ni Ti vibe from you for some reason from this post, so I would also vote INFJ.