So I watched Precious yesterday and...

DrShephard

Community Member
Dec 9, 2010
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
So I watched Precious yesterday after hearing that it was a deeply sad movie, and I have to say that although I felt bad for the girl, it didn't evoke more than slight emotion out of me. No tearing up, no rage, just a bunch of "Eh... well, that's unpleasant" feelings.

Other movies have evoked that raw emotion though. Artificial Intelligence, What Dreams May Come, Towelhead, Grave of the Fireflies.

So what did you guys think of Precious? Deep sobfest or just a decent movie?

Artificial Intelligence was such a sad movie! And I agree with What dreams may come as well.

Out of that list I've only seen AI. That was really sad though :(

Ohhh... What Dreams May Come was such a beautiful movie, in both plot and scenes. Sob-fest though, so be warned!

I haven't seen any of the movies that you have mentioned. I have wanted to see Precious for a while but alas, have not. Since I cry at everything I watch (including really terrible horror movies) I am sure I will cry my face clean off.

What is wrong with you people!

Precious is the only one of those on Netflix Online right now! So if you don't have Netflix, get it - it's amazing!

I CANT GET NETFLIX D:
i think.

You and your backwards country. If you could, they'd probably only be able to show these movies on it.

[MENTION=3454]DrShephard[/MENTION], you should definitely watch Once Were Warriors

its exactly what nZ is like

[MENTION=3361]Elowen[/MENTION], watch Romper Stomper and tell me if you think that is an accurate portrayal of life down under.

i've never even heard of it.

i was joking bout my one though ,btw ;D

I have netflix but it's not nearly as good in Canada as it is in the US due to the fact that it's brand new. sigh.

Haven't seen any of these. 12 and Holding was really sad too.

Pay It Forward was ridiculously sad too. The ending? Kills me every time.

I did see Precious a few weeks back, and I bawled my eyes out. But maybe it's because I identified with her situation more. Not the physical abuse, mind you, but the idea that these things happen every day, and no one is doing anything about it. But she *did* stand up in the end, and that's really what the story was about to me; that she made life work for herself.

The life she had left, anyway.

So yes, inspiring and yet the abuse was really painful to see. Maybe because the abuse was seen as "ordinary" and as a viewer, I wished I could've been in the movie, helping her get out. But y'know, that's a movie for ya.

To be blunt, I think the film Precious is over hyped. I've seen it myself, it was lacking in dynamics.
There was no real build up in emotions, instead it was flat lined for most of the film. It was lacking that 5% magic.
I've seen some real tear jerkers, but Precious wasn't one of them...

All in all, I would give it a 7/10.

Reactions: DrShephard
I've never seen it because I was afraid of being scarred by some of the sexual abuse. I'm really sensitive to that...

With that said, kudos to you for bringing up AI. Seized my heart, twisted it and wrang it out to dry! What Dreams May Come was good but didn't compare to AI IMO...

I saw Precious a long time ago with my ex and we both cried together during it.

I think we both related to some parts of the movie, but that aside, obviously it was moving subject matter.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago.
My dad and his sister grew up in a very similar abusive situation, so to imagine them in a similar situation really struck me... I mean, the amount of pain that comes from abuse; how you have to harden yourself to survive... it gave me a real respect for them, and opened my eyes (more so) to how much suffering they must have gone through. My dad told me that he was exposed to far more than what we saw in the movie- no doubt he saw his father in Precious' mom. I could only feel a sliver of the anger that he must have felt; an iota of his fear- he wasn't even a teenager. That was what moved me the most.

I also loved the reality of the movie- of the characters- of Mariah Carey without makeup.... (I don't have anything against makeup, but I loved seeing her look the way she did).

I think people who have difficulty imagining or associating with that kind of life might have difficulty getting emotionally involved with the film. I think it best reaches those who have been there, or have been close to someone who has been there- you see the pain beneath the hardened exterior they present- you honor their survival. Raw emotion in movies reaches me in many forms. Precious took me to a place I don't often tap into.

Reactions: not sure