Simon Baker: The Mentalist | INFJ Forum

Simon Baker: The Mentalist

PandaBookie

Jul 19, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Is Simon Baker from The Mentalist a INFJ? I searched all over Google and I can't find an unanimous answer.

Oh I guess both! I kinda had a suspicion that Patrick Jane may be an INFJ :) I'm not too sure about Simon Baker

Yep, just watched an interview with him and he's definitely an INXJ. When I've watched him in interviews, he appears very different from his character. He is not as extraverted, and he seems to have strong Fi, and definitely a J. Doesn't seem to like attention. Seems very logical as well in his reasoning based on his answers to questions. He's very direct in his judgments and lays out his reasons for his views. He is straightforward about how he feels and doesn't sugar coat things. I think he could be an INTJ. Also, Australians culturally have a very easy going persona, I think this is masking his personality a little. But he seems a definite J. Here's the video I used to type him: [video=youtube;w1yt5U6HZv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1yt5U6HZv4[/video]

i was thinking his character was more of an INFP, but IDK.

Yep, just watched an interview with him and he's definitely an INXJ. When I've watched him in interviews, he appears very different from his character. He is not as extraverted, and he seems to have strong Fi, and definitely a J. Doesn't seem to like attention. Seems very logical as well in his reasoning based on his answers to questions. He's very direct in his judgments and lays out his reasons for his views. He is straightforward about how he feels and doesn't sugar coat things. I think he could be an INTJ. Also, Australians culturally have a very easy going persona, I think this is masking his personality a little. But he seems a definite J.

I agree! I was watching that video and I compared it with an INFJ Carey Mulligan and their styles are absolutely different. With Carey Mulligan, she talked about personal stories with a lot of expression. This shows her strong Fe. When I heard Simon Baker's story, it was certainly more factual and talks more about the details which means he has a very strong Te.

Carey Mulligan interview:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QeptJJI2oc

Simon Baker interview on Ellen:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=fIFZ-Rp_0p4

I totally agree with Simon Baker being an INTJ. I compared him and an well known INFJ Carey Mulligan, I saw that he talks about more of the details which shows he has a strong Te. Carey Mulligan;however, talked about her stories with lots of expression and her story was more about how she felt and how she watched people's facial expressions. She's certainly has a stronger Fe.

Carey Mulligan's interview about the Great Gatsby:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QeptJJI2oc

Simon Baker's interview with Ellen:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fIFZ-Rp_0p4

Yes. Patrick Jane is definitely an INFJ. From what I've seen on the "behind the scenes extras" on the dvd's I've rented - Simon Baker also seems to be at least an INxx.

The character shows advanced deductive reasoning skills and an extremely broad powers of objective observation. I think he presents as INF but it is more an act to disarm. He is Holmes with all the intuitive people skills.

Okay, idk if I posted this twice before so I am going to write it again.
I compared a well known INFJ actress Carey Mulligan giving a story of how she got into the set of The Great Gatsby to Simon Baker giving a wedding story on Ellen. Carey Mulligan describes in full detailed about her feelings and what she thought other people felt. Simon Baker just gives factual details of his stories. I do believe that Simon Baker is an INTJ.

Yes. Patrick Jane is definitely an INFJ. From what I've seen on the "behind the scenes extras" on the dvd's I've rented - Simon Baker also seems to be at least an INxx.

how do you come to this conclusion?

I can see the INF but how the J?

Ok, people, his Se is excellent. For me he is ISTP with great third function.
I like him as you do, but it does not mean he is one of us:)

"The theme for the ISTP is action-driven problem solving.

Talents lie in operating all kinds of tools and instruments and using frameworks for solving problems.

Keen observers of the environment, they are a storehouse of data and facts relevant to analyzing and solving problems.

Thrive on challenging situations and having the freedom to craft clever solutions and do whatever it takes to fix things and make them work.

Take pride in their skill and virtuosity, which they seem to effortlessly acquire."

I don't know about Simon Baker, the actor, but his character, Patrick Jane, is definitely not an INFJ. Or at least in my opinion. He's too motivated and willful and his pace is too quick. He is also an extrovert besides. He hates spending time alone. That's the whole point of him camping out in C.B.I headquarters. Being left alone with his thoughts terrifies him.

I've always classed him in the EXTP category and he kind of reminds me of Bugs Bunny in a way. He makes things up as he goes along, doesn't commit to one theory or another, and my God, is that man ever fond of show-boating. He takes immense pride in his mental acuity and takes every opportunity to indulge in his curiosity and exercise his brain. Yes, his subject of interests are people and their relationships, but his methods and intentions are not to get close to them, but to extract information to benefit him. I should say the fact that he's a 'Mentalist' to really tip this off. His approach is entirely method-based rather than holistic. He's trained himself to interact with people a certain way.

Despite the tragedy of his wife and daughter's murder, he's still a con-man at heart and his focus is revenge. He sees the CBI as a means to an end and has even told Teresa that if she stands in his way, she will regret it. He also has no qualms about ruining people's lives for a cursory piece of information and he dismisses it as them deserving it. He also has no issue with giving the C.B.I a hard time, or even giving Teresa trouble despite all the help she's extended to him over the years. He doesn't really stop to consider the emotional impact that his schemes might have on other people unless it suits him.

As for dominant functions, I would probably lean more toward Ne over Se given how his emphasis is more on the subject's significance, past and meaning rather than just its basic fact. He's also not really one for action or getting his hands dirty. He prefers seeing everyone else running around and falling into his trap than to get directly involved.

Simon Baker is ISTJ or INTJ. He just hides it really well. I saw an interview with him where he seemed to be natural in his delivery. He was very direct, didn't mince words. Doesn't hide his feelings. Very expressive. Didn't appear to care what other people thought of him. I'm tempted to say, because of this probably ISTJ.

I could see Patrick Jane as INTP, not ENTP. He's not an extrovert, he just appears to be because of what he is trying to accomplish. He's a pretender. He knows how to appear as different personality types to get the reactions he wants from people.

I think his type is SEXY. And I'm never wrong.

I can't see Jane as INTP, more like IxTJ.

I can see how you would see him as Ni dom, but he also has very strong Se.

Don't know about Simon, because I haven't really watched much of him in interviews, etc. I also kind of get distracted by his beautiful hair.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawr
The actor is either ENTP or ENTJ. He could be an INTJ, but he doesn't give me that Ni vibe.
He is also a bit haughty over things that he says and thinks are smart.
He is the "I'm quick and fast" type.(mentaly)

Edit:
I could go with Stu. He might be an INTP.
Edit 2:
Wrong, he can't be an ENTJ. Delete that. Either ENTP or INTP.

Last edited:
Why he should be N?
His "mentalist" capabilities are actually results of perceiving enviroment Se (plus - he is multitasker, Ns are often bad multitaskers).
As I said ISTP i very logical choice:

Se - colecting datas
Ti - he uses datas for solving puzzles
Ni - just a little bit of "magic" touch
Fe - good relationships in his team

He is too much here and now for being N.

I love Patrick Jane character! The character he played is definitely INFJ. But for Simon Baker himself, if I have to guess, I'd say ENFJ or ESFJ.