SHTF Plan

Wolfskillian

Banned
Dec 2, 2015
MBTI
IxFJ
Enneagram
Eh?
Ok, let's imagine we're suddenly hit by a zombie apocalypse started from an insanely mutated virus with no hope for a cure. They are everywhere, surrounding you, threatening to end you and all you hold dear...

Do you have a "when the sh.. hits the fan" plan?
And if so, what is it?

Move out to the Australian "outback".

You literally have a completely clear horizon to horizon view; it has some of the lowest population densities in the world; and there are excellent highways and artesian water supplies. Just settle down someplace with groundwater, start an extensive garden and keep in radio contact with surrounding remote towns.

Would have to live as a scavenging nomad for a while and get the hell out of the city, probably find an area like Flavus mentioned that can allow for easily spotting zombies.

Things you'd need to secure immediately: water bottle, backpack, lighter/matches, knife, soft shoes like sneakers, good clothes for your climate and maybe a jacket, perishable food for the road, a blunt weapon, maybe a bike..?

What kind of zombies we talking about here?

Last edited:
What kind of zombies we talking about here?

Let's say the mutated virus mutates again. Now we have both the scary and fast movers as well as the slow lethargic and ravenous ones. For a bit of extra fun, let's also say they still have the ability to learn and adapt as true predators.

Move out to the Australian "outback".

You literally have a completely clear horizon to horizon view; it has some of the lowest population densities in the world; and there are excellent highways and artesian water supplies. Just settle down someplace with groundwater, start an extensive garden and keep in radio contact with surrounding remote towns.

Flavus in 20 years….

madmax2.jpg

Reactions: Free
Found this picture online. It resembles what about 80% of what the Western areas of New South Wales looks like. I have traveled through a lot these kind of areas, where it literally takes 3 hours of highway driving to get from one town to the next:
AusGeo_ANZANG2015_animalhabitat_David-Stowe.jpg

Emu tastes like very tender steak, with only a slight poultry flavour. They're also big - their head is about shoulder height on a 6'2 man.

Now we have both the scary and fast movers as well as the slow lethargic and ravenous ones.
I'd do whatever would offer me the best chances. I would not stick with a dysfunctional group either and would not hesitate to leave them to their own when someone who does not make smart decisions takes charge. I might Bug-in, Bug-out, take to the inland, Mountains, islands or sea. It all depends on pretty much everything.

Depending on when and where the outbreak starts and where I am at the time I might move to eastern Europe where the population density is less.
Since I own my own fenced land and a forest I might want to make use of, as I have everything I'd need there to bug in, provided they don't figure out how to climb over a fence.
Any zombies at my fence I'd go spartan on, with a spear and shield, and a jab to the head as to not let them accumulate.

I'd live off of the food growing on my land. Perhaps put some raised concrete flower beds around my house if I have time for that to prevent someone from ramming their way in with a truck, else I'd make some from logs.
Building some hunter towers here and there on my property would make for a good past time too, and if I keep them stocked with a small ration and a couple of spears, I could take shelter there from zombies and dispose of them should I be surrounded and set up a good neighborhood watch system with my neighbors.

If I were in an an apartment building with a flat roof, I'd set up a rain water collection system and a small garden there, destroy the ground-level floor's stairway to prevent zombies from coming upstairs,
Make a shield and short spear for clearing the rest of the building from zombies, collect all containers and waste to plant food in or to collect water. (plenty of things like tomatoes do just fine indoors at the window)
Being able to set up a community would increase the chances for survival. Excess energy could be spend on making spears and clearing zombies accumulating at the building and burying them to prevent disease.
Scavenging would focus on gathering supplies needed for restoring electricity, parts for Atmospheric water generators, hygiene products and combat multipliers.

For a bit of extra fun, let's also say they still have the ability to learn and adapt as true predators.
This would be highly problematic, these would be able to climb ladders/each other and get in everywhere. In this case, finding an island with high ground in say the Mediterranean and building a defensible position there is the best chance one has as boats can fail or sink. Keep in mind out on the seas waves of 30 meter high are not unheard of, a defensible island would definitely be a safer bet.

Should an Island not be an option, then if you have time to prepare... Perhaps build a compound with walls surrounded by containers from container ships. I'd stack them 3 containers high and fill the bottom two with earth excavated 15-20 meters outside of the wall, to create a muddy field for any attackers to be slowed down in. These walls could not be pushed over, would stop a truck, and bullet proof. This area could also be enhanced for defense with low tech options. The third row, the highest of the containers, would feature sandbags inside towards the outer walls, and mesh covered slots to see through. The roof of the containers could hold solar panels and windmills. Previously mentioned ideas would all be applicable here. Housing could be made from further containers with strong locks on the inside and a strong hatch at the top for one to climb out from when unlocked from the inside. Then one could go shield and spear from on top and thin any zombies that managed to get into the compound, as long as you can take them out faster then they can climb on top. Vehicles would have to be stored outside of the compound in order to not have a weakness in its walls and keep the compound safe, though would become an obvious target. Patrols would have to leave from random locations in order to prevent dangerous routines.

But yeah, that's just a quick brainstorm. The best option against zombies still would be having a secure NBC proof, self sustained bunker although any access for air would be a dangerous weakness as these can be found and covered up with plastic, earth or simply smoked out. Granted the effects would not be immediate but oxygen reserves would eventually run out.

Those who would go for a large area where they can see everyone coming from miles away, could use Mongolian mounted archer tactics on the zombies to deal with them safely. AKA, Run and gun /w transportation to prevent being over-run. They would however need to practice coordination and learn to recognize when they're being herded themselves. Predator zombies however might make use of wet fields or traps or night time to prevent your tactics from working. The night though could be dealt with through IRNVG's should you be able to lay hands on those and their effectiveness increased with IR lights. Those settling in an open area would need large numbers and night defense shifts to keep their base safe but as time progressed smart predator zombies would definitely find a flaw in your responses, especially if your response becomes predictable.

The best defense in all cases, is not to be found ;p

Last edited:

I wonder how much of a problem armed gangs would be? They're a staple feature in most zombie movies/fiction... often times more of a threat than the zombies.

*Side note: Are there any zombie movies, that follow the armed gang/baddies?*

I wonder how much of a problem armed gangs would be? They're a staple feature in most zombie movies/fiction... often times more of a threat than the zombies.

*Side note: Are there any zombie movies, that follow the armed gang/baddies?*

none that I recall, they usually follow protagonists rather than antagonists, the same goes for every book or audio-book I've gone through thus far.
The closest thing to it is usually people joining a community that turns out to be totalitarian and their subsequent rebellion or escape.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
This is a fun thought.

I'm on the coast, so going inland would seem illogical to me. I think I'd find a nice place with some natural defense and build up on that. As an engineer, I'm not so humble to say that I'd be good at construction of things from weapons to fortifications. I have kids to think about so rather than trying to keep them safe out in the open as a nomad, I'd like to establish a fortress of some sort and defend as needed. I would take other humans in, build a small community, I guess. Have the able and willing on guard duty to keep the baddies out. We could try to farm, if water supplies aren't contaminated, we could fish in the ocean, etc. Heck, this is starting to sound like a vacation! haha! In all honesty, it's a gamble, but it's what I think I'd like to do if needed.

This is a fun thought.

I'm on the coast, so going inland would seem illogical to me. I think I'd find a nice place with some natural defense and build up on that. As an engineer, I'm not so humble to say that I'd be good at construction of things from weapons to fortifications. I have kids to think about so rather than trying to keep them safe out in the open as a nomad, I'd like to establish a fortress of some sort and defend as needed. I would take other humans in, build a small community, I guess. Have the able and willing on guard duty to keep the baddies out. We could try to farm, if water supplies aren't contaminated, we could fish in the ocean, etc. Heck, this is starting to sound like a vacation! haha! In all honesty, it's a gamble, but it's what I think I'd like to do if needed.

Mine would be similar to an extent. Since I'm also on the coast, I think I'd have a better chance of getting to a boat and getting away from heavily populated areas. Get to one of those islands off the coast in hopes the zombies can't sail after me. lol. I haven't given much thought to it honestly. Some people have well thought out plans and mine is lacking..a lot. I could even go all water-world (I know, terrible movie reference) and just drift on the ocean, fishing, heading back on land for water. If I had a background in medical science, I think I'd hole myself in and figure out some way to cure the outbreak- or at least treat it, and slow/stop the contagion. But... I don't. So best to take my chances on the ocean.

If I had a background in medical science, I think I'd hole myself in and figure out some way to cure the outbreak- or at least treat it, and slow/stop the contagion.

I'd try something like this. Or put myself to good use treating survivors as best as I can in hopes that they may offer shelter and/or protection in turn. Maybe head over to [MENTION=14308]Xroads[/MENTION] little haven with my family in tow and apply for the resident nurse position. :lol:

Here's some interesting and rather entertaining "dystopian society vs type" reading. Get ready for a lengthy post...

Idealists (INFJ, ENFJ, INFP, ENFP):

The Idealists keep dystopias real. Neither content to parrot slogans or kill for mere sport, they seek to instill their dogmatic vision for humanity into the very souls of the Free and Happy People. For these NFs (who make up the core of the secret police) mere outward conformity is insufficient. Citizens must love the Machine with all their hearts, and a single dissenting thought is cause enough for reeducation. When the Idealist sits down with a suspected deviant and gazes deep into their eyes, there is no hiding the truth. The Citizen will begin to babble out all their crimes, weeping. Then it’s off to the Obedience Center for a chip.

It is the NFs who are responsible for the dystopia’s symbolism, its art, its deepest held beliefs. They are the writers of dogma and the fanatics who obey said dogma with religious fervor. Never content merely to follow orders, they seek to go beyond the call of duty and inspire others to do likewise. The authorities approve of such initiative, though it can make them slightly uneasy. There is just something a bit…unnerving about a subordinate who will passionately carry out each directive you give, yet unhesitatingly report you to the secret police at the slightest sign of incorrect thought. “Nobody’s perfect,” the supervisor mutters as they carefully go over their paperwork to make sure they correctly capitalized every instance of “Joy of Obedience.” Deviants have been sent to the Obedience Center for less, and the NF is always watching.

Curiously, it is the Idealists themselves who most strongly resist reprogramming. As fanatical in their disobedience as in their obedience, they prefer martyrdom to compliance, and may actually succeed in resisting the regime’s “foolproof” reeducation techniques. Indeed, it is a source of bafflement to the authorities as to who the Prophet who is spreading insidious propaganda among the Soulless could be, for surely the individual in question could not be a Soulless themselves.

Even if the regime does succeed in killing the rogue Idealist, it won’t be the end of things. The NF dystopia survival plan is to die and become a symbol, thereby inspiring millions to remember their lost humanity. As the Idealist stands inside the Disintegration Chamber, a flower held in their hands, they vow, “I am but a dying spark, yet when I fall I shall set a thousand souls aflame.”

***​

Rationals (INTJ, ENTJ, INTP, ENTP):

In a dystopian scenario, Rationals are the temperament most likely to die screaming, “I have free will!” Which is ironic, under the circumstances.
No one designs utopian paradises like the Rationals. Fascinated by sociology, political systems, genetic engineering and technology, Rationals are never content to leave things as they are. A new system, that is what is needed, one that will have no crime, no hatred, no war—one where citizens will be happy in their chosen place. Naturally the place in question won’t be chosen by the citizens themselves. People are too stupid to know what is best for them, so the NT will carefully design an algorithm that will figure it out on their behalf.

Of course, some citizens will fail to appreciate the benefits of the Rational’s ingenious system. These disruptive people will have to be brought around to the correct way of thinking. They will leave the Obedience Center with a smile on their faces, grateful to have been shown their error.

The technocratic Rationals are responsible for much of the software that underlies dystopias. They will give everyone a number, a tracking chip, and a pocket-sized monitoring device that makes calls, sends texts and plays fun games while also recording everything the citizen says and does. Nobody will be upset by this, so long as the Rational provides adequate bloodsport. Naturally the citizens will watch the Games on a smart TV which records everything they say and do. (Even the toaster is recording everything they say and do.)
Of course, sifting through all that stored up data is a big task. So the Rational will create a master computer (“the Machine”) which will search for key words like “freedom of thought” “self determination,” “dignity of mankind,” etc. to sift out the dissidents. The Machine is infallible, and everyone who receives an automated print out ordering them to report to the Disintegration Chamber is almost certainly guilty. Those who say they are not guilty are deviants.

Is free will such a high price to pay for the bliss of perfection? Unfortunately, some Rationals seem to believe that it is. Brittle and unyielding, they cling to their delusions of selfhood until the bitter end. Nothing is more pathetic than the sight of another NT being dragged off, yelling, “Wake up! We are puppets to the Machine! Puppets!” As if anyone cares; there’s a deathmatch on TV tonight.

When the NT emerges from the Obedience Center, they will gladly take up their role in the society as a loyal citizen. These are the intellectuals who come up with philosophies that inform the dystopia’s societal architecture; the brilliant genetic engineers who modify fetuses for their future role in the genius Master class, the obedient Worker class, and the abased subhuman class; and the trusted technicians who maintain the Machine in perfect working order.

Is free will such a high price to pay for the bliss of perfection? “Absolutely not,” the Rational says, smiling broadly. “Absolutely not.”

***​

Guardians (ISFJ, ISTJ, ESFJ, ESTJ):

Guardians, more than any other temperament, strive to maintain time honored values and traditions. But what if their home city ends up turning into a techno-dystopia, like one of those ones where the Machine dictates all aspects of life according to some Rational’s bizarre social theories? Naturally the Guardians will be suspicious of this brave new system. The SJs are the most cautious temperament, and it’s their full-time job to protect us from our stupid new ideas. But if the government throws around the words, “sacrifice,” duty,” and “end to all war and suffering” then the Guardians may eventually succumb, to their own regret.

Oddly enough, the Guardians seem to be the best at surviving in these type of dystopias. Where other types will go insane breaking themselves against the system, the Guardians will grudgingly pledge their eternal loyalty to the Machine and become trusted citizens.

Quick to earn the perks that come with good behavior, they will soon memorize all the slogans and hand gestures that give each dystopia its color and charm. The Guardians will have the neatly pressed uniforms, the cyborg eye implants, and the full body armor with the faceless, inhuman helmets. They make sure to capitalize the right letters on phrases like “Compliance Assistance Device,” and never fail to close a speech with a sincere approbation of the Machine’s wisdom.
As one might expect, the Machine appreciates the SJs’ faithfulness and attention to detail.

It will reward them by letting them serve in the Elite Guard and run the brainwashing machinery. Eventually the Machine will even come to believe that the Guardians love and appreciate It. Alas.

What the machine doesn't understand is that the Guardians are life's ultimate reactionaries, and they never forget. While everyone else succumbs to mass amnesia, the Guardians will faithfully keep on passing on their whispered memories of the Old Ways to their children and grandchildren. It is the SJs who have attics crammed with banned books and cellars full of Abnormal children. They seem like so reliable and steady, yet they are a ticking time bomb.

Which is all to say that the Machine will feel deeply betrayed when the SJs desert en masse at the first cry of “We must restore the Old Ways!” Apparently It was under the impression that a mere four hundred years of brainwashing would be enough to make the Guardians forget the proud traditions of their ancestors. Good luck with that. The only dystopias the SJs approve of are the ones that attempt to replicate the good old days, where families sat around listening to the radio together and candy cost a penny. But the Machine just doesn’t understand.

“Those Rationals,” the Guardians say, clucking their tongues as they hack the Abomination to pieces. “Honestly!” The Machine’s last, tormented word is, “Whyyyyyyyy?”
So another post-apocalyptic paradise pops like a soap bubble. After proudly destroying the Machine, the Guardians will set about getting things back to normal. The last word on the situation is provided by the SJ liberator who started the rebellion: “It’s hard to get good dystopias these days.” Such is the Machine's final epithet.

***​

Artisans (ISFP, ISTP, ESFP, ESTP):

Do Artisans survive well in a dystopia? It all depends on the dystopia. The SPs have a low tolerance for the tight control that is characteristic of so many post-apocalyptic havens, and often wind up with a chip in their heads to help them comply. That, or they’ll end up drugged, which is okay with them if the drugs are good. Let’s just say that the Artisans aren’t likely to win any “Citizen of the Year” awards.

No, where the Artisans truly excel is in dystopias that give us what we want—bloodsport—rather than trying to teach us an abject moral lesson. Give us the thrilling chases through the Maze! Give us blood spilled on the gleaming panels of the arena! Give us all-out slaughter in the Testing Grounds! Life is but a game, and the only rule is survival of the fittest.

Yes, the SPs do enjoy sports dystopias. The government values their skill in slaying dissidents in deathmatches, and of course the Artisans are grateful for the chance to hunt people through the Game Chambers. Not for the SPs is complicated dogma or the abstract philosophy—all that is required is a constant flow of lethal excitement. The Artisans will revel in the roar of the crowds.

Yet while SPs are the heart and soul of bloodsport-based dystopias, they are also its downfall. Constant adulation can go to a gladiator’s head, and the Powers That Be will find themselves in a difficult place if they allow any one fighter to become too popular. Swollen with egotism, the Artisan will come to expect special treatment. It’s as if they think they are somehow above the system. Eventually the Game Master will have no choice but to give the gladiator the Talk. They will tell the SP that they are nothing—just a cog in the machine to be replaced whenever the Masters choose. Make trouble, they warn, and you’ll end up in the Games with the rest of the dissidents. Then, having squashed the gladiator back into their place, they dismiss them with a contemptuous gesture.

When your system of justice is based on having gladiators kill deviants, it can be a real problem when your best fighter happens to be a deviant themselves. Their views are an embarrassment to the government, yet each fresh victory only makes their opinions more popular. As the government will ultimately discover, they taught their SP fighters a little too well— “May the strongest survive.”

***​

Here's the link for more on SHTF/Post-Apocalyptic and your MBTI... lol
http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/Dystopia_Survival

And I recommend this read as well. A+ entertainment value:

http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/content/post-apocalyptic-survival-type-e-book

Many people are using a one-size-fits-all post-apocalyptic survival strategy—a deadly mistake. Like a jammed gun, an unworkable survival plan will fail on you when it matters most, leaving you to the tender mercies of the zombies. If only there was a way to know the survival strategy that was right for your unique personality type before the time came to test it out in the fires of disaster!

Good thing you came here.

Using the Myers-Briggs typing system, this handbook clearly and authoritatively explains the best survival techniques for each personality type as well as outlining common pitfalls to avoid. Unlock the secret of your survival type and learn how to thrive in a nuclear wasteland crawling with mutants. (And much, much more!)

Do you have what it takes to survive the end of the world, or will you be eaten by monsters? Read on and find your fate...or don't, and die in unimaginable agony. The choice is up to you.

So, I assume you read it ? Is it serious as well or merely for entertainment ? Could you give a summary on what it says about INFJs?
Because I don't want to pay for a book that paints me as some kind of incompetant carebear lie-detector hippy....
I'm only interested in it if it has serious thought put into it :p And that site thus far always reads a bit like a copy paste of things from other sources...

Last edited:
[MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION]

I'm pretty sure it's all just for entertainment. Funny, but not useful for a RL survivalist.

[MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION]

I'm pretty sure it's all just for entertainment. Funny, but not useful for a RL survivalist.

too bad, I'd have loved to have some more insights. ^^

UTEy7Gf.png

Or if you bring up zombies infront of real life people :p

Last edited: