Satisclassifaction
Retired Staff
Sep 22, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
So many people say "I wish they didn't show the dead soldiers."

YES! How inconvenient it is for us to realize that PEOPLE ARE DYING IN A WAR RIGHT NOW! Moreso, why don't we ever hear of how many 'enemies' are killed? Isn't that a stereotypical metric of how successful of a war is?

I personally think every single soldier dead should have their name put on the media. There shouldn't be any censor of the coffins of our dead soldiers. We should realize what it is our nation is responsible for.

If it is THAT inconvenient then how about we stop the war?

Opinions?

Last edited:
Reactions: enfp can be shy
I agree with you totally.

I agree with you completely as well...

Maybe people feel guilty that most of the time the fallen soldier cannot be held up as a fallen hero of a just and heroic cause. But this isn't the fault of the soldier, it is the fault of a military or government who endanger the lives of their own men (and women) for causes which are not worth dieing over.

YES! How inconvenient it is for us to realize that PEOPLE ARE DYING IN A WAR RIGHT NOW!
Opinions?
This is what it boils down to. People have their personal fantasy of how the world is and anything that disturbs it has to be gotten rid of.

Don't put my body on T.V., and I don't want a camera crew at my funeral.

Hell, I don't even want my name put on T.V. because then I'd be dragged into the politics of the war. If I had joined to fight it would be for my personal reasons, not for politics.

this is my opinion, but seriously some respect for the dead would go a long way. If they wanted their names published and there faces on T.V. after they've gone home then I'm all for it but out of respect for the family and for the dead I say no.

I simply can't help but feel that the government and the military would have the war completely out of our minds if that were possible. They have done a damn good job so far.

Reactions: Wyote
Don't put my body on T.V., and I don't want a camera crew at my funeral.

Hell, I don't even want my name put on T.V. because then I'd be dragged into the politics of the war. If I had joined to fight it would be for my personal reasons, not for politics.
To "fight" they are not there to punch a few people on the nose... They are there to kill. To end someones life because a few POLITICIANS thought it would be a good POLICY.

How is this not even slightly political?

So, for personal reasons, you, a christian, would go, of your own choice, out of your home to a region where you would more than likely be asked to kill someone. Expressly against gods law.

Agreed, and show the dead civilians too, and the fighters of the other side.

People have to learn already that all people are people, and one human is not worth more than another, just because of some imaginary memberships.

It is easy to pretend that there is no war when you don't see consequences...War is terrible, especially when it is near your house or town. Sounds of battle airplane are not music.

I value the presentation and honoring of soldiers who have died, but I would respect any person or family who wishes to exclude themselves from that process.

Maybe people feel guilty that most of the time the fallen soldier cannot be held up as a fallen hero of a just and heroic cause. But this isn't the fault of the soldier, it is the fault of a military or government who endanger the lives of their own men (and women) for causes which are not worth dieing over.

I simply can't help but feel that the government and the military would have the war completely out of our minds if that were possible. They have done a damn good job so far.

First of all, I want to make it very clear that it is not the military responsible for start, continuation or end of the war. The military is not autonomous.

The military is the entity by which the war is being waged. The military doesn't get to decide when the war ends. The military doesn't get to decide what gets done and how. The military is the tool of the Government. What the military does is at the behest and order of the Government.

And by military, I am referring to the ones who are actually coming back in the coffins. Not the ones sitting in their thousand dollar chairs at their 10 thousand dollar desks in that cushy five sided building in Washington DC.

That being said. I fully agree that there shouldn't be censorship of the returning fallen soldiers. These men and women died serving their country, even through they died in the continuation of a war serves no one but the powers that be. I believe it to be a tactic designed to keep the consequences of war as much out of the public regard as possible.

I mean really, people hear of soldiers dying, but since everyone knows at some intellectual level that American soldiers are volunteers, the loss of the life isn't quite as offensive as if it were someone who was drafted and forced into combat. The latter scenario offends peoples sensibilities and is more likely to stir the masses to active protest of the war because it is viewed as a violation of our Rights. Volunteers dying evokes sympathy and empathy for the families of the fallen (in some people; most people I hope) but is tempered by the knowledge that the fallen made a choice knowing that the possible consequence of that choice could have a life ending result.

It seems that these days, Americans are less motivated by moralistic standards than by self-centered ones. I mean, if people really understood how much of our money the government has wasted (and continues to be wasted) in this war and what could happen in society if that money were redirected into education and infrastructure, disease research, drug development etc, research and development into things like renewable energy....if people really thought about how the fallout from those kinds of things could better their lives....maybe there would be more public outcry to end this war whereby only the rich get richer and the rest of us get poorer.

There shouldn't be censorship of any of the grim realities associated with a prolonged war. But the problem is that the American public is apathetic. And ignorant.

Most attempts to teach or expose people to the reality come across as propaganda by the opposite political party. And so because we've been mostly conditioned to dismiss anything from that opposite party as false, twisted logic, slanted viewpoints etc....we are more likely to ignore that which doesn't march with the party lines.

Kind of like trying to convince a religious fanatic that there is more than one right way to god.

Sometimes, I believe that it is this inflexibility of the mind that will result in the fall of modern civilization.

alcy, that should be run on the front page of every paper across the US.

But, but, but...if we show the human consequences of war, it will be harder to wage with support from the public.

I agree, show us the devastation and destruction. Show us what's really going on, and let the people of the nation see what our government is doing to foreign nations, and the consequences that brings on civilians, enemy combatants, and our soldiers.

Moreso, why don't we ever hear of how many 'enemies' are killed?
We don't? Well, I rarely watch network news these days, but on the internet, it's not unusual to see estimates of the numbers of insurgents/Taliban fighters/etc. killed in a noted battle.

Besides that, I agree: there should be no censorship of the facts. It would be nice to have local reports of the dead including names, pictures and details of the circumstances. Our tax dollars are paying for it; there is no legitimate reason (except in the odd case for security concerns) to withhold the information.

The vietnam war was the first televised war

The public were shocked at the images they saw not only of their own boys suffering but also of the vietnamese; famous photos like the young girl running down the road naked with napalm still searing into her flesh or the vietcong spy being executed in the street upset people

The popular support for the war at home faded and the government had to withdraw

The US government learnt from vietnam that the less the people know about what is going on the better.

Now they 'embed' journalists in sections of soldiers so that they can control what the journalists see, hear, know and understand

How can they keep telling you that you are the good guys if you find out that your tax dollars have been used to make weaponry (making the power elites who own the weapons industry rich) which has then been used to kill hundreds of thousands of iraqis in the latest gulf war?

Iraq played no part in 9/11 so what did the iraqis ever do to the US?

Last edited:
Reactions: enfp can be shy
Bearing witness to the consequences of our choices informs them. Even kindergartners learn as much.