Should you work harder because you are younger? | INFJ Forum

Should you work harder because you are younger?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
There seems to be a taken for granted assumption that youth or younger signifies that one most earn their space or spots in society, and should therefore work harder to prove themselves before they have a right to have those things which many say only those who are older have and deserve because they have "done their time" in this world. I've noticed it's a very popular belief to expect someone who is younger to do more, work much harder, to prove themselves, to earn recognition and respect. The underlying belief is to strive to be accepted by the senior or mature or experienced members of society, and if you earn their respect, then you deserve to have a certain regard or good things. Another thing I notice is that it's assumed that you should imagine a life in which you work hard now, but only expect to enjoy the rewards of your labor later on when you are older. Don't expect to have an easy or easier life until later on when you've worked a few years and have struggled like everyone else to have anything of worth.

I say, fiddle faddle! :m123:What do you say?

Last edited:
Reactions: #@&5&49
That attitude creates a viper's den of issues: entitlement, power plays, devaluation, elitism, and, most noticeably, more social aggression.

That said, the hallmark of youth is to be an empty cup. (Cups have been appearing all around the forum lately.) It follows that there's more to do to fill that cup when you're young, but to say one should work harder is fallacious because work is not the definition of self for everyone.

Last edited:
If you believe differently, good luck to you.

I've seen this attitude in some young people that are hired here were I work. It seems to have become more prevalent the last 10 years or so.
They are offended that they are given menial tasks, or only allowed to operate the small presses. (Printing)
I remember over hearing one young Twenty something new hire saying that it was BS that he had to print business cards.
"I went to school to learn how to run a 4-color Heidelberg, and they have me printing business cards, and cleaning?"
Like everyone else, you have to pay your dues. Respect is earned and not handed out. As it should be.

How pervasive this is depends on the profession. Some professions carry that attitude a little too far, not giving an inch to an FNG. Other professions are more lenient and are willing to coexist. New folks coming into an old profession deserve some recognition, they know all the new techniques, they just spent however many years learning it all and now want the opportunity to strut their stuff. Not a darn thing wrong with that.

But then the old guys, who've been there for awhile, they've been around the block once or twice or maybe even 18 dozen times, or 18 years, they know the ropes, what works, what doesn't work, they have the experience of time. How I feel about this scenario is building a bridge between the new guys and the old guys makes something better than what existed before. This is teamwork at its best and takes advantage of the best everyone has to offer. This is the ideal. It isn't always possible. It depends on how open people are to what each other has to offer and lets not forget attitude.

Personally, I like to learn the new stuff from the new guys, a lot of it's cutting edge stuff, but I really appreciate the experience of the old guys. Knowledge is power, experience is invaluable.

If you believe differently, good luck to you.

I've seen this attitude in some young people that are hired here were I work. It seems to have become more prevalent the last 10 years or so.
They are offended that they are given menial tasks, or only allowed to operate the small presses. (Printing)
I remember over hearing one young Twenty something new hire saying that it was BS that he had to print business cards.
"I went to school to learn how to run a 4-color Heidelberg, and they have me printing business cards, and cleaning?"
Like everyone else, you have to pay your dues. Respect is earned and not handed out. As it should be.
This question is less about someone who doesn't want to work hard but more about those who believe they should expect more simply because someone is young. I've seen younger adults works work their asses off, excuse my french, but yet are treated as if they've never worked a day in their lives. That is who I am talking about. This entitlement by those who are older to think it's their right to demean or put down the accomplishments of those who are younger simply because they have, I believe, a very misguided belief that younger means less deserving until you work hard to show someone you are.

This question is less about someone who doesn't want to work hard but more about those who believe they should expect more simply because someone is young. I've seen younger adults works work their asses off, excuse my french, but yet are treated as if they've never worked a day in their lives. That is who I am talking about. This entitlement by those who are older to think it's their right to demean or put down the accomplishments of those who are younger simply because they have, I believe, a very misguided belief that younger means less deserving until you work hard to show someone you are.

Ok, perhaps I took your initial post a little out of context. My apologies.

I hear what you are saying that it is wrong for older people to demean younger people and not recognize thier accomplishments, but it's just kind of the norm of society. I remember feeling slighted early in my career despite my best efforts to prove myself. Or, having judgements made about me when I walked in the door all because I was young. Yes, it sucks.
One just has to keep at it though to get over that hump.
But, there are many that feel they should be able to walk into a job and start at the top. I guess that is what I was getting at.

Ok, perhaps I took your initial post a little out of context. My apologies.

I hear what you are saying that it is wrong for older people to demean younger people and not recognize thier accomplishments, but it's just kind of the norm of society. I remember feeling slighted early in my career despite my best efforts to prove myself. Or, having judgements made about me when I walked in the door all because I was young. Yes, it sucks.
One just has to keep at it though to get over that hump.
But, there are many that feel they should be able to walk into a job and start at the top. I guess that is what I was getting at.

No, I think my response was a little too blunt. I understand what you mean. Agree with your point though that yes, someone should be willing to work hard and not expect things to come easily just because of youth.

Last edited:
I think it's a strategy used by employers to extract as much as they can out of naive new employees, who are also willing to work for less and are basically disposable.

The biggest problem with that attitude is that some people work at a job almost their whole lives, and then they're laid off before they can reap retirement benefits. :-/

You can put in the years of hard work and still get screwed at the end. That's why there should be benefits along the way.

Agreed.

Working is fine, but I firmly believe that when you're young, you should play. You should explore. You should enjoy being young. If you're 23 years old, you have all the time in the world. Seriously… life spans are getting longer every day, which means you'll have plenty of years ahead of you to make money for when you're old (and may or may not be able to enjoy/use the money). You can have a family in your 30s no problem. You can change jobs in your 40s--lots of people do it. There's absolutely no hurry!

I'm not saying I don't have regrets, but regrets are going to happen either way and I've met a lot of people who got sucked into the work work work mentality when they were younger and now look back on their youth wishing they had taken some time off to go traveling, or explore, or do things while their energy levels were higher and their minds were more open and they were better at being uncomfortable. But now all they know how to do is sit around and wish things were different, or take care of their kids, or stick to their daily routines.

My definition of old is when you get to the point where you don't want to sleep in your car, or can't go camping 'because of your bad back', or you've basically become very very good at convincing yourself not to try new things or do anything at all. It can happen to you…

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
My definition of old is when you get to the point where you don't want to sleep in your car, or can't go camping 'because of your bad back', or you've basically become very very good at convincing yourself not to try new things or do anything at all. It can happen to you…

I'm 23 and don't want to sleep in a car. What does that say about me?

I do believe you should work harder when you are younger because of the use it or lose it phenomenon. I dont believe you are only allowed to have certain age dependent things though. I also believe that the new guy should work harder to prove themselves and gain respect.

... works work their asses off, excuse my french...

Thats not french.

I'm 23 and don't want to sleep in a car. What does that say about me?

That wasn't really my point-- I'm just saying that getting old can get in the way of you getting what you want out of life… because you can easily get stuck in a routine, and then eventually that's all you'll have.

But I guess it depends on what you want out of life.

Again, I didn't say you shouldn't work hard when you are young. I never said you should have it easier because you are younger or not have to prove yourself if necessary to show that you are good and dependable worker. I said I think that being expected to work harder simply because you are younger is not justifiable, and only allows people to justify abuse because of age. On the other hand, neither would I argue that if you're older, and you've worked hard, you should reap the benefits of your efforts, just as anyone who works hard.

i don't really see it this way. sure there are some 'seniors' who think they have a right to judge anyone just because they've been on the planet longer, but all in all i don't see there being a big issue about young adults having to prove themselves in the workplace etc.
young people are often unpolished (lack confidence that experience brings) and unfocused when they first start out and yes they are expected to show that they've gotten past that and are deserving of accolades and promotions and professional respect/acknowledgements.
you really never stop 'growing up'. there is always going to be 'someone ahead of you with the experience to judge your abilities'.

At the moment, I'm not trying at all to be accepted by the senior members of society. I'm waiting for them to die so that my generation can take over and will not have to put up with their politics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/opinion/sunday/the-generation-gap-is-back.html?_r=2&smid=fb-share

Yeah well, your generation will then have another younger generation coming up that will despise your politics.
It never changes.
I thought once people my age came to power everything would be different. It's not. I felt the same way you do now.
Those inclined to go into politics may do so with high ideals, and wanting to make things different, but soon become absorbed into the staus quo. Because in order to get their ideas acted on, they have to conform to the system first. It doesn't take long and they are no different than those that came before them.

Did I misunderstand the OP or is this yet another spoiled young person who thinks they should have it all without earning it? We had the baby boomers, then generation X, now we just have babies.

You know, the generation they say was the best in history was the one that grew up in the depression. Maybe we have it all ass backwards. We need to nearly starve our kids, make them walk to school in the snow, beat them when they are brats, and they will grow up to be splendid adults. Okay that's a little extreme. But we are certainly doing something wrong by giving our kids everything they want except time with parents.

Oh but I can't discipoline my kids. I want them to see me as their FRIEND. Here junior, have another Happy Meal.

Did I misunderstand the OP or is this yet another spoiled young person who thinks they should have it all without earning it? We had the baby boomers, then generation X, now we just have babies.

yes, because when this thread was started, I thought it would be good idea to argue that young people should have whatever they desired without having to earn anything. *facedesk*

It's exponential.
Every five years is an order of magnitude of ten.
Everyone knows this.
Asking the question hoping for a different answer doesn't work.

I don't know if I've ever encountered this belief in any meanful way. And if I ever did, I probably seized on the opportunity to tie them down and beat them with their own flawed logic. probably would have gone something like this:

"that's an interesting perspective. Why do you feel it is valid? Ahh...IC, so you have had some experience where you felt someone younger than yourself was not deserving of a respect or "reward" that you were deprived of yourself, unless you "worked" for it... I see.... now, would you say that your over generalizing here based on your own personal subjective experience with this form of "immorality"? or do you think it's a valid perspective to hold with regards to all of humanity that ahppens to be younger than you, or who receives something you feel they don't deserve?" Ahh.. huh... ok, right. So... you have your reasons, I wont try to confuse you with any more facts.... but, I do have a question. Do you find that determining your own personal morals and ethics is usually done because you experienced a particular emotional response to a particular situation? or do you find you are more the impartial, introspective type... the one who determines what should or shouldn't be based on considerations of the broader elements of the human race, rather than as a kneejerk response to your own personal emotional slights and frustrations?

etc...etc...

I find people with shortsighted emotionally driven rationals for their "value system" are people you can basically have your way with....Because they are actually interacting with the world more like a child who has found a new form of "tears and crying" to relieve their discomforts, rather than as a mature adult who has spent real time and energy to determine what they REALLY feel and see and regard with value in this world.

Or, to put it bluntly - first determine if another person is worthy enough or wise enough to pass judgement. Most who do so... are neither worthy or wise, and tehrefore, their opinions can be very easily and appropriatey disregarded for the nonsense that it is.

-E