Should the organs of those dying in hospital just be automatically harvested? | INFJ Forum

Should the organs of those dying in hospital just be automatically harvested?

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
Should all mortalities in hospitals just automatically have their organs harvested and given to those awaiting organ donations?

ummmm.....no

I think that could bring some weird complications, but I don't really have any insight in the matter. Ideally I'd say it would be up to the individual to decide (not the hospital nor the family).

Automatically? Definitely no. Anything which bypasses individual choice = No.

I can see it now. Go in for a routine operation. ..some paper work gets mixed up. You wake up and your kidneys, spleen and heart are all gone.

I mean the opposite of the present system for organ donation, the present system requires that you opt in and inform everyone and they err on the side of caution by never removing any organs unless its real clear they should and have permission to, so instead you have a system which requires that you opt out and inform everyone you have and the system errs on the side of caution by never leaving any organs unless its real clear they should and have permission to.

Can see the shortage of healthy organs disappearing over night.

Also can see any illegal traffic in organs being hit hard too.

Yeah I got that. I see your point, but I still think it should be up to the individual to decide. In cases where an individual passes away before any information is presented, should the hospital be able to claim the organs without any consent?

Yeah sure, absolutely.

I'm willing to bet that most people don't give much of a shit about organ donation one way or another, and so a lot of them don't bother to sign up as organ donors. An opt-out organ donation system would help a lot of people suffering from failed organs through no fault of their own while allowing those who have passed on to help those who remain.

e: the one problem I can see is regarding children i.e. when and how would they opt out, when should they be eligible for donation, etc.

Last edited:
Hmm...

An opt in system makes donors seem nice and genuine.

Opt out system makes non-donors seem like selfish assholes.

Reactions: SealHammer
Rather an opt-in system but I can see the logic in automatically dispensing organs to donors on the list, if an organ becomes available and the person cannot be revived and is pronounced brain dead. Of course, there is always the exception of those who can be revived later on despite being pronounced dead. However, burying a body with organs where they later deteriorate or using cremation doesn't benefit anyone. The buried body simply takes up more earthly space in a cemetery, exhausting more natural resources such as land or creating more pollution through ash scattered somewhere on land or water. Would make sense to make use of the organs where they are beneficial to others especially if they are immediately available. It would make me feel worse to know that I died when someone's life could be saved with an organ donation. However, people do have the right to leave the earth with their complete body in tact. It could also make the family feel uncomfortable knowing their son or daughter's heart or other body part is somewhere out there in someone's body and they had no choice in the matter. The potential for abuse is great though if they were to give hospitals the last call. Even if health professionals do their due diligence to ensure everything is done to treat a patient and save a life, mistakes happen undeniably. A hospital's liability insurance would likely go through the roof if they where given the last minute option to take someone's organs. As [MENTION=4361]Elis[/MENTION] mentioned, there would be some major concerns about the nature of "consent." However, I do understand the reasoning that it would make sense to fill the need for more organs with the supply that's immediately available. Even if someone didn't initially opt-in doesn't mean they wouldn't want to donate, despite loss of life. Definitely complicated issue. But it's fair to look at different angles.

Why might some people insist on keeping their organs in their dead body anyway?

edit: I found this post on yahoo answers UK.

Because some of us believe as our Christian ancestors did, that to enter the Kingdom of Heaven in the Glorious Light of Jesus Christ the King, we must be whole when we pass over.

So much so, that even in Medieval times here in England, if a person had lost an arm or a leg, a false arm or leg was placed with the corps of the dead person before burial, to ensure that he/she would arrive in Heaven as a whole person.

I very much feel the same way about myself and do not wish to be rejected as I approach the Celestial City.

Although many of us may be unaware of it, what I have explained above is a very deep and meaningful race memory.

In my opinion, the people should not have to 'choose' not to give their organs. It should be entirely the other way around. If people want to donate their organs and thus deny themselves a place in the Glory of Heaven, then they should be able to fill out the required form for that purpose.

Behold the Mighty God - the King of Kings, the Prince of Everlasting Peace
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=jesus+c...

"Comfort ye My People" Messiah by George Freddy Handel of London

He received 0 thumbs up and 3 thumbs down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lots of religious reasons, also to ease concern about what happens after they die I guess. People worry about that crap.

Personally I don't care, yet I think it is odd to transplant organs. Not that I would stop anyone (especially being a corpse) but I think that is borderline clinging to this life unrealistically. That's just my opinion though. Memento mori.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

Well, Catholics are buried because they're supposed to believe in a bodily resurrection all at once around Judgement Day.

What they make of the decomposition process, I don't know. They do keep the bones of saints in churches and some saints are said to have never decomposed (including Bernadette of Lourdes, I think).

I don't know if they need to keep organs. I never thought to ask whilst I was one. I think I am down to donate though, whenever I got my provisional licence I filled it out.

I'm not sure what I think of it. I reckons that the body is, in a sense, the tangible aspect of our consciousness. It is not just meat necessarily.

I reckons that the body is, in a sense, the tangible aspect of our consciousness. It is not just meat necessarily.

Or you could say our souls are intangible salami if you say it the other way around.

If I ruled the world, organ harvesting of the dead would be compulsory.

Only an opt in system should be present. Choice is of paramount importance. I don't want to sit next to someone I have no interest in, never mind my organs be used to help them live a life of who knows what. Harsh but true x

Hell no. That option will be abused. I don't trust anyone to take my organs from me. I'm sure some dumbass doctor would take my organs while I'm in anesthesia after an operation. Shit like this has actually happened. I don't trust any doctors.

I'm an organ donor but I chose to do it because I had the option to and other personal reasons.

Last edited:

edit: I found this post on yahoo answers UK.

He received 0 thumbs up and 3 thumbs down.

It's those types of people that make religion look bad :doh: