Should the organs of those dying in hospital just be automatically harvested? | INFJ Forum

Should the organs of those dying in hospital just be automatically harvested?

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Lark, Dec 4, 2014.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Lark
  1. Lark

Lark Rothchildian Agent

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    Should all mortalities in hospitals just automatically have their organs harvested and given to those awaiting organ donations?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Stu

Stu Constipated
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    ummmm.....no

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Elis

Elis Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFJ
    I think that could bring some weird complications, but I don't really have any insight in the matter. Ideally I'd say it would be up to the individual to decide (not the hospital nor the family).

4. ZenCat

ZenCat Waving Sage

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    Automatically? Definitely no. Anything which bypasses individual choice = No.

5. Eventhorizon

Eventhorizon Permanently relocated
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I can see it now. Go in for a routine operation. ..some paper work gets mixed up. You wake up and your kidneys, spleen and heart are all gone.

6. OP
    Lark

Lark Rothchildian Agent

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    I mean the opposite of the present system for organ donation, the present system requires that you opt in and inform everyone and they err on the side of caution by never removing any organs unless its real clear they should and have permission to, so instead you have a system which requires that you opt out and inform everyone you have and the system errs on the side of caution by never leaving any organs unless its real clear they should and have permission to.

Can see the shortage of healthy organs disappearing over night.

Also can see any illegal traffic in organs being hit hard too.

7. Elis

Elis Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFJ
    Yeah I got that. I see your point, but I still think it should be up to the individual to decide. In cases where an individual passes away before any information is presented, should the hospital be able to claim the organs without any consent?

8. SealHammer

SealHammer Flying Quesadilla

Threads:
    MBTI:
    DOPE
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sx/so
    Yeah sure, absolutely.

I'm willing to bet that most people don't give much of a shit about organ donation one way or another, and so a lot of them don't bother to sign up as organ donors. An opt-out organ donation system would help a lot of people suffering from failed organs through no fault of their own while allowing those who have passed on to help those who remain.

e: the one problem I can see is regarding children i.e. when and how would they opt out, when should they be eligible for donation, etc.

#8 SealHammer, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  9. sprinkles

sprinkles Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Hmm...

An opt in system makes donors seem nice and genuine.

Opt out system makes non-donors seem like selfish assholes.

SealHammer likes this.
  10. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Rather an opt-in system but I can see the logic in automatically dispensing organs to donors on the list, if an organ becomes available and the person cannot be revived and is pronounced brain dead. Of course, there is always the exception of those who can be revived later on despite being pronounced dead. However, burying a body with organs where they later deteriorate or using cremation doesn't benefit anyone. The buried body simply takes up more earthly space in a cemetery, exhausting more natural resources such as land or creating more pollution through ash scattered somewhere on land or water. Would make sense to make use of the organs where they are beneficial to others especially if they are immediately available. It would make me feel worse to know that I died when someone's life could be saved with an organ donation. However, people do have the right to leave the earth with their complete body in tact. It could also make the family feel uncomfortable knowing their son or daughter's heart or other body part is somewhere out there in someone's body and they had no choice in the matter. The potential for abuse is great though if they were to give hospitals the last call. Even if health professionals do their due diligence to ensure everything is done to treat a patient and save a life, mistakes happen undeniably. A hospital's liability insurance would likely go through the roof if they where given the last minute option to take someone's organs. As [MENTION=4361]Elis[/MENTION] mentioned, there would be some major concerns about the nature of "consent." However, I do understand the reasoning that it would make sense to fill the need for more organs with the supply that's immediately available. Even if someone didn't initially opt-in doesn't mean they wouldn't want to donate, despite loss of life. Definitely complicated issue. But it's fair to look at different angles.

11. barbad0s

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    POOP
    Why might some people insist on keeping their organs in their dead body anyway?

edit: I found this post on yahoo answers UK.

He received 0 thumbs up and 3 thumbs down.

#11 barbad0s, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  12. sprinkles

sprinkles Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Lots of religious reasons, also to ease concern about what happens after they die I guess. People worry about that crap.

Personally I don't care, yet I think it is odd to transplant organs. Not that I would stop anyone (especially being a corpse) but I think that is borderline clinging to this life unrealistically. That's just my opinion though. Memento mori.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

SealHammer likes this.
  13. Cornerstone

Cornerstone Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Pisces
    Enneagram:
    Metal Goat
    Well, Catholics are buried because they're supposed to believe in a bodily resurrection all at once around Judgement Day.

What they make of the decomposition process, I don't know. They do keep the bones of saints in churches and some saints are said to have never decomposed (including Bernadette of Lourdes, I think).

I don't know if they need to keep organs. I never thought to ask whilst I was one. I think I am down to donate though, whenever I got my provisional licence I filled it out.

I'm not sure what I think of it. I reckons that the body is, in a sense, the tangible aspect of our consciousness. It is not just meat necessarily.

14. barbad0s

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    POOP
    Or you could say our souls are intangible salami if you say it the other way around.

If I ruled the world, organ harvesting of the dead would be compulsory.

15. Delta

Delta Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Only an opt in system should be present. Choice is of paramount importance. I don't want to sit next to someone I have no interest in, never mind my organs be used to help them live a life of who knows what. Harsh but true x

16. barbad0s

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    POOP
  17. hk427f3

hk427f3 Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Nope. Read like, any Larry Niven novel.

18. bionic

bionic sexy coconut
    Infraction Bin

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    8w9 sp/sx
    Hell no. That option will be abused. I don't trust anyone to take my organs from me. I'm sure some dumbass doctor would take my organs while I'm in anesthesia after an operation. Shit like this has actually happened. I don't trust any doctors.

I'm an organ donor but I chose to do it because I had the option to and other personal reasons.

#18 bionic, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    SealHammer likes this.
  19. Switchgirl

Switchgirl ON and OFF mode

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFp-Fe
    Enneagram:
    9w1 sx/sp
    It's those types of people that make religion look bad :doh:

SealHammer likes this.
  20. bionic

bionic sexy coconut
    Infraction Bin

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    8w9 sp/sx