Sexual deviance and MBTI type

3blackrings

Donor
Apr 1, 2012
MBTI
INXJ
Enneagram
don't know
What, if any, personality traits lend itself to things such as beastiality and promiscuity. Any types in particular? I've not been around that many ISTJ's, but the people I have been around have made me wonder if that personality type might be more likely to be bi, gay or like BDSM and/or other "deviant" and promiscuous sexual behaviors. It only had to do with statements made, and interests observed and in a couple cases theses people were Psychotic and ISTJ is really a guess.

This is just a cursory evaluation on my part, but having worked with a fair amount of patients with sexually deviant preferences, I haven't noticed any prominent type loadings. That isn't to say there isn't any, but only that I can't attest to observing any. You might have more luck associating type with a particular sexually deviant preference/behavior as opposed to sexual deviance at large.

This is a pretty difficult topic to unpack. I personally would be careful to correlate a person's sexual orientation with propensity for promiscuity and BDSM and bestiality. I suppose, from a sociology 101 perspective, it might make sense for those who already socially identify as deviant to be more open to experiment with other deviant behaviours, but I wouldn't put them all under one umbrella.

Furthermore, how much you believe MBTI has a say in the likelihood of homosexuality, for example, depends on whether you believe sexual orientation is a psychological or biological phenomenon--or both.

I'm curious what made you come to the conclusion that your friends were ISTJs, and why you believe ISTJs are more likely to exhibit sexually deviant behaviours?

I think it's probably important to identify these behaviors individually, for example being a nymphomaniac and being into bestiality are two completely different things even though they both fall under the umbrella of "sexual deviance"

I think people put waaaaaay too much faith in MBTI. It's not a bible!

Just because one is a particular personality type doesn't mean all people of that personality type are going to like the same things.

It's kind of like saying ALL INFJs dislike casual sex and prefer to find one person that they can commit and make the sexual experience meaningful. For a lot of INFJs, this is true, but two of the kinkiest people I know are INFJs.

From my own observations, its always the quiet ones that seem to have the darkest fantasies. I'll admit to being a bit of a sexual deviant myself, and I often run into difficulties with sexual partners who miht not be as open as myself. Not that I'd ever dismiss anyone, but when you've been with someone a while....its nice to share similar bedroom interests. Other than the obvious mysogynist pigs, who are avoided at all costs, the ones I've come accross who have enjoyed a bit of kink for the fun have been quiet feeling types.

[MENTION=5297]Neverwhere[/MENTION]
I think people put waaaaaay too much faith in MBTI. It's not a bible!

I agree.

Just because one is a particular personality type doesn't mean all people of that personality type are going to like the same things.

I agree.

It's kind of like saying ALL INFJs dislike casual sex and prefer to find one person that they can commit and make the sexual experience meaningful. For a lot of INFJs, this is true, but two of the kinkiest people I know are INFJs.

I've always disliked the idea of casual sex. Not that I didn't think about it. A fantasy, I guess. There's just too much ick with the reality of it. I don't know for sure if I even know another INFJ. Maybe one. I sure don't know several, especially at any level. It takes so long to get to know someone. And INFJ's are tough to get to know. Takes so much energy I just can't deal with too many friends at any one time.

From my own observations, its always the quiet ones that seem to have the darkest fantasies. I'll admit to being a bit of a sexual deviant myself, and I often run into difficulties with sexual partners who miht not be as open as myself. Not that I'd ever dismiss anyone, but when you've been with someone a while....its nice to share similar bedroom interests. Other than the obvious mysogynist pigs, who are avoided at all costs, the ones I've come accross who have enjoyed a bit of kink for the fun have been quiet feeling types.

What do you consider kink? I've been a little shocked when talking to younger friends about sex. They're so much more open and exploratory about it. Bisexuality for females is common. One friend told me about a gang in Atlanta that is bi. The story's she tells me are unbelievable. To each their own.

[MENTION=5312]3blackrings[/MENTION]

I've always disliked the idea of casual sex. Not that I didn't think about it. A fantasy, I guess. There's just too much ick with the reality of it. I don't know for sure if I even know another INFJ. Maybe one. I sure don't know several, especially at any level. It takes so long to get to know someone. And INFJ's are tough to get to know. Takes so much energy I just can't deal with too many friends at any one time.

I've had a few casual encounters in the past. These days I tend to have casual encounters with the same partner because 1. I'm not a slut. and 2. it's just easier. It's not the best idea though, I do tend to get attatched after a while and that can cause problems. I think I'm probably getting past that stage of my life!
2 of my closest friends are supposedly INFJs. The male...he took the test and said he's an INFJ, but I have a feeling he might not be...he's a little hard to type. The other is most definitely an INFJ.

What do you consider kink? I've been a little shocked when talking to younger friends about sex. They're so much more open and exploratory about it. Bisexuality for females is common. One friend told me about a gang in Atlanta that is bi. The story's she tells me are unbelievable. To each their own.

You have seen my answer, now it shall be removed :)

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that a history of sexual abuse and or assault can be a factor for some people. For example, after a rape some people can become frigid and others can become more sexually deviant. I have witnessed this happen a number of times.

i dont like the term "deviant" at all.

i really believe that everybody has inner sexual desires that could be considered deviant by mainstream society, but the big majority of them jut repress them.

I think that it depends on the person if he choices to be open about it.

Yeah [MENTION=4992]Sai[/MENTION], I agree with you, but I wasn't bothered about getting pedantic about it. It's all about personal taste, and as long as it isn't malicious, isn't hurting anyone and is going to be mutually enjoyed in a consenting relationsip/encounter/whatever your preference is, I don't see how there could be a problem.

I believe I am the kinkiest person on this site and I'm an ENTP; whether MBTI correlates to deviance or not is certainly up for debate. (As already noted many times above, lol.)

'Deviant' is a very subjective term. I don't think MTBI type can be used well to gauge sexual preferences/deviance. ' promiscuity' I don't this is deviant at all, I've known tons of promiscuous people and they are pretty representative of the norm common in the population. I don't think BDSM is particularly deviant either, lot of people into that. bi, gay--- orientations the neanderthals had, found all the time in nature, not so deviant. For true deviants, like people who engage in bestiality/necrophilia, common personality traits are a sense of overwhelming inferiority, low empathy, and a desire for total control.

Noun
deviant (plural deviants)
1)A person who deviates, especially from norms of social behavior.

2)A thing, phenomenon, or trend that deviates from an expectation or pattern.

It's a word, not a term. No offense intended.

Compact Oxford English Dictionary, Third Edition, Oxford University Press, Oxford:London, 2005.

Term: 'a word or phrase used to describe a thing or express an idea.'

See, things that are deviant aren't representative widespread in a common population, they are in fact, outliers. Is BDSM an outlier? Nope. Is being gay/bisexual an outlier? Is promiscuity an outlier? Nope.

I should have given Hamlet's answer: words, words, words, words, WORDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I don't think it matters really, no offense was intended!

Reactions: Leticia Mejor