Seriousness | INFJ Forum

Seriousness

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
How serious are you in your day to day life?

How would you describe your seriousness? What situations draw out your seriousness? Which situations are you less serious in?

In what ways does your seriousness get expressed?

Have you ever been told you're too serious? Do you consider yourself overly serious or insufficiently serious?

Last edited:

How would you describe your seriousness? What situations draw out your seriousness? Which situations are you less serious in?

Have you ever been told you're too serious? Do you consider yourself overly serious or insufficiently serious?

i'm not sure i could answer this without a specific definition for 'seriousness' :p

I make up lot's of shit.
I trick people into believing I'm sexually frustrated, a psychopath, ...

I'm serious if I care about the person and about the impression I'm making.

It's rather a 'lack of being silly'.

I've never been told I was too serious.
Although, I might come accross as serious when I'm making a joke.
I don't think I'm insufficiently serious, because trolling is the only way I can have a conversation with people I have no common ground with.

I'm serious when the situation merits it, silly when I'm silly(this really is the only way I can explain it) and casual the rest of the time.

i'm not sure i could answer this without a specific definition for 'seriousness' :p

Hmmm.. good point. How would you define seriousness? Is it synonymous with mature? Is it the opposite of easy-going and laid-back, or can you be laid-back and serious simultaneously? Should there be perhaps be descriptors for seriousness, to distinguish, for example, between someone who is serious enough to deal with the important things and not sweat the small stuff vs. someone who is unable to loosen up, ever?

-fairly serious, professionally; personally - not so serious and sometimes it's vice versa
-people too often mistake someone's public persona for who they are private (very different)

-i don't know; not sure - what's relaxed for one, is serious for another
-when i'm comfortable and relaxed, someone is likely to think i'm serious
-and someone who tries to make me laugh because they think i'm being too serious just annoys me, because they're assuming i need to lighten up when i'm fine.

- the way i respond or speak to people - may seem too formal or "polished" (so i've heard :D)

- yep, too often to count. I can be overly serious but i'm not a fan of being overly casual just to prove to someone i'm relaxed.
- too often, i have to sound or appear more expressive to make people feel relaxed enough and not think that something is wrong.

What i find very interesting, is that some who consider themselves the most relaxed or easy going are sometimes the most intolerant - they can't handle being around different personality types or anyone who doesn't reflect their own personality type or energy level. Too often they are quick to judge someone as being too serious or uptight without getting to know them. But ironically, they consider themselves very accepting and easy to be with.

Last edited:
I'm pretty uptight outside of my home.
Once I'm at home, I just want to act a fool.

i take drumming seriously when i'm performing. unless we have a double gig and then the second gig i'm usually more relaxed and allow myself to just enjoy it. i think is because i feel inadequate or not as good as i should be with my instrument. i'm really trying to work on this, and allow myself to branch out more creatively speaking, cause when it's all business there's little room for creativity. its like when i write sometimes i have to tell myself i'll probably delete or not post a certain piece so that i can just let the writing flow more.

i think this'll get better with time and experience though because i see the potential problems with self limitation and am trying to find ways around it.

as far as most other stuff i'm usually pretty relaxed, though it still takes me a minute or two to warm up to a social situation as the majority of my time is spent by myself, i find its getting easier nontheless. the way i see it is if people need to give me flack when i'm entering into a social situation its probably because they themselves are feeling inferior or something, this was a good realization for me though bc my bandmates love to take potshots at me when i first get to a gig and try to make me feel uncomfortable. actually i've done this myself before too, i just didn't realize why at the time.

as far as most other stuff i'm usually pretty relaxed, though it still takes me a minute or two to warm up to a social situation as the majority of my time is spent by myself, i find its getting easier nontheless. the way i see it is if people need to give me flack when i'm entering into a social situation its probably because they themselves are feeling inferior or something, this was a good realization for me though bc my bandmates love to take potshots at me when i first get to a gig and try to make me feel uncomfortable. actually i've done this myself before too, i just didn't realize why at the time.

+1. It's sometimes real easy to believe the treatment received is justified when it really isn't. For a long time, i would feel guilty or ashamed for not behaving as expected because i truly thought how i was, was wrong or bad. Only to realize later, that the people whose behavior made me feel this way were kinda using me as a scapegoat to seem and feel superior to me socially, etc. They thought they were doing me a favor by trying to loosen me up and bring me out of that blessed shell, to be a swan *rolls eyes*. I realized later, when i no longer socialized with them, that i was fine. Took me a heck of a long time to realize it.

Last edited:

For me, I can gear change between seriousness and humor very quickly. I flip between the two in almost any situation. I just see humor in things, it comes automatically.

I'm fine with how I am. Very strong Fi. I know most ppl think I take some things too seriously, but it doesn't move me at all.

I am honestly not much of a jokester at all and I am quite serious 80% of the time. It's partly because my sense of humor is odd and I rarely find things that most other people to be funny, funny. I very much want things to be formal and cordial as often as possible.

I am honestly not much of a jokester at all and I am quite serious 80% of the time. It's partly because my sense of humor is odd and I rarely find things that most other people to be funny, funny. I very much want things to be formal and cordial as often as possible.

SUPER cereal! I too tend to be more serious and some things have gone over me. But I do have a funny side and can be pretty goofy at times.

Internally I'm very very serious, but externally I'm as silly as a silly goose. I also can't keep a straight face around other people, making being serious so fucking hard. (externally)

Generally, I'm pretty serious, sometimes I take life WAY too seriously.
I'm more serious in an academic setting because I ike to be focused, and seriousness helps with that. Around new people, i am rather serious as well. A sign of me becoming close friends with you is me loosening up a considerable amount.

I usually express my seriousness with a certain look in my eyes, a glint. My body language also probably expresses my seriousness

I think people assume I am very serious because they want me to be serious. Many people look toward me as the problem solver and person to get something done. I had spent several years under the radar at my job but that all went to hell a couple of years ago when I became a union steward at my university. I say lots of stuff that I find very silly but most people don't get my humor. When I feel really silly I can be full on "center of attention", "hey everyone look at me" crazy. However, I usually contain my alter ego.....

I are srs Melkor, this is srs thread.

Oh, right.

Uhm.

For my part, I am serious when he situation dictates sillyness, and silly when it prays for seriousness.

I have been told by many close to me, including most of my family 'Nothing fazes you, does it?"

Then when something dreadful happens, like a mass catastrophe, I can't help but giggle at something I find silly.

I don't think I communicate enough on a daily basis with a
widespread amount of people to be able to adequately answer these.

I don't feel particularly sad about this.

i'm pretty serious. not sure how to describe it though. but yes, i've been told i am too serious sometimes

- I'm serious when the situation requires me to be. Other than that, no, I don't think I'm very serious much of the time, unless I'm introspecting. I like having fun and the people around me to have fun also, and being way too serious is kind of a mood-kill for me. No offense meant to anyone.

Serious as in srs bsns? Lol. I don't know how to describe my 'seriousness'. Is there any other description that can be applied to the word 'serious' aside from, oh, serious?
What situations? Situations that aren't funny draws it out. Oh, and academic settings. Normally.
Which situations am I less serious in?
Ah. I don't know. I think that would just really depend on the situation. Ex, I'm not serious all the time when in academic settings, especially when I have a friend(s). I get distracted easily, so.

I don't smile or laugh? Lol.
It's pretty obvious when I'm serious, actually.

I've been told I was really serious before though. But that was a long time ago.
I'm so-so. Not too serious, and not too insufficiently serious either.

Reactions: Soulful