[INFJ] - Serious Question | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Serious Question

Moranga

Community Member
Mar 31, 2021
MBTI
infjjfni
Is your type set in stone? Is it actually possible to change your personality type at a core level by developing your weaker or unused cognitive functions? The reason for asking is that I read a post that the poster stated being a certain type in early life and developing into another. This is confusing in that the feelings and my perception of life have been this way as far back as I can remember even though it was unclear as to why until recent years. Maybe a better way to ask is, if its possible, how do you strengthen specific cognitive functions? Meaning actually isolate a cognitive function and exercise it. Is this realistic?? If this is possible I'd be interested in looking into it. The goal would be actual change/improvement not learning how to be a better chameleon. As age progresses it feels like my dominant traits are becoming more so and feel like, if it is possible, waking up these under used functions could help me in day to day life. This lock down has been a double edged sword in that it has been good to be alone undisturbed with my hobbies, plants, music and thoughts, but honestly now am feeling some stress about going back to a high level of required interactions and mask requirements that my job choice requires after being a hermit for this lengthy duration. Also Good Morning and Hello everyone. I hope this finds you all doing well. :grinning:

Hi Moranga.

Within the "laws" of MBTI, you're always the same type. That said, people mistype, and MBTI is technically a pseudoscience, so it is fair to question the framework.
Scientifically speaking, as our brains develop in our early teens we start to discard what isn't needed (or being used) and we become fixed, so the idea that type is permanent does fit this. We have the most neurons in our early teens/tweens, for example. Our cerebral cortexes (empathy) don't fully develop until 25, which hits it right on the nose for INFJs developing Fe.

There are different stages of being a type. Type cannot be accurately decided until one's late teens/early twenties, though the dominant function should already be shining.
After that, there are stages of immature type, mature type, underdeveloped functions, and developed functions, as well as a "life stage" development.

The dominant function develops up to age 7, the auxiliary function in one's 20s, the tertiary function develops in one's 30s and/or 40s, and the inferior function at 40 or later.
For you, as an INFJ, this means Ni is developed during childhood, Fe in your twenties, Ti in your thirties, and Se at forty or later. From experience, at age 50, I noticed as each function fully developed it became my playground and fixation for a little while.

We all have all the functions. The other four (Si, Te, Fi, Ne) are your shadow functions, and when you're enveloped in shadow functions, you're in the grip, meaning your entire personality could shift... but in an unhealthy way. People in the grip may feel great while they're caught in it, but it's dysfunctional. There is a life philosophy outside of MBTI that shadow work is healthy and that the shadow is our true self. Within MBTI thinking, developing those shadow traits is good for you, but the shadow is not your true self.

I hope I'm not being too basic. If you already know all of this, it sounds really condescending, so I apologize in advance if I'm explaining information you already know.

Hey Asa,
The dominant function develops up to age 7, the auxiliary function in one's 20s, the tertiary function develops in one's 30s and/or 40s, and the inferior function at 40 or later.
Okay I need to read more about this.

We all have all the functions. The other four (Si, Te, Fi, Ne) are your shadow functions, and when you're enveloped in shadow functions, you're in the grip, meaning your entire personality could shift... but in an unhealthy way. People in the grip may feel great while they're caught in it, but it's dysfunctional. There is a life philosophy outside of MBTI that shadow work is healthy and that the shadow is our true self. Within MBTI thinking, developing those shadow traits is good for you, but the shadow is not your true self.
This is pretty heavy. Not interested in tampering with something I am still trying to understand. I need to read upon what "Si, Te, Fi, Ne" represent and how they exist in self. I am a bit confused from lack of understanding.

I hope I'm not being too basic. If you already know all of this, it sounds really condescending, so I apologize in advance if I'm explaining information you already know.
Not at all. Basic is what I need to better absorb the information. Thank you taking the time with this thoughtful response. Is there any reading you would recommend to better understand the cognitive functions and stages of development for starters?

Last edited:
@Moranga - There are a lot of websites and Youtube channels about MBTI and function development. You could start on the MBTI website for an overview, and try Googling keywords like "MBTI tertiary function" - or auxiliary, or inferior, etc. I can't find the web page that was my go-to right now.
"Was That Really Me?" is the best book about shadow and grip, what causes each type to stress out, and how that manifests. Or, go to my thread on the topic.

There are a ton of threads here on this topic, too, and certain members who are well-read on the subject, so snoop around.

https://personalityjunkie.com/functional-stack-type-dynamics-theory/

https://personalitygrowth.com/heres...esents-itself-based-on-your-personality-type/

https://www.personalitypage.com/html/development.html

https://personalitygrowth.com/heres...type-looks-like-when-theyve-reached-maturity/

@Moranga - There are a lot of websites and Youtube channels about MBTI and function development. You could start on the MBTI website for an overview, and try Googling keywords like "MBTI tertiary function" - or auxiliary, or inferior, etc. I can't find the web page that was my go-to right now.
"Was That Really Me?" is the best book about shadow and grip, what causes each type to stress out, and how that manifests. Or, go to my thread on the topic.

There are a ton of threads here on this topic, too, and certain members who are well-read on the subject, so snoop around.

https://personalityjunkie.com/functional-stack-type-dynamics-theory/

https://personalitygrowth.com/heres...esents-itself-based-on-your-personality-type/

https://www.personalitypage.com/html/development.html

https://personalitygrowth.com/heres...type-looks-like-when-theyve-reached-maturity/

"Googling keywords like "MBTI tertiary function" - or auxiliary, or inferior, etc.'
This is helpful, I will start digging. Thanks Asa

Reactions: Wyote, Kgal and Asa
Hi Moranga.

Within the "laws" of MBTI, you're always the same type. That said, people mistype, and MBTI is technically a pseudoscience, so it is fair to question the framework.
Scientifically speaking, as our brains develop in our early teens we start to discard what isn't needed (or being used) and we become fixed, so the idea that type is permanent does fit this. We have the most neurons in our early teens/tweens, for example. Our cerebral cortexes (empathy) don't fully develop until 25, which hits it right on the nose for INFJs developing Fe.

There are different stages of being a type. Type cannot be accurately decided until one's late teens/early twenties, though the dominant function should already be shining.
After that, there are stages of immature type, mature type, underdeveloped functions, and developed functions, as well as a "life stage" development.

For you, as an INFJ, this means Ni is developed during childhood, Fe in your twenties, Ti in your thirties, and Se at forty or later. From experience, at age 50, I noticed as each function fully developed it became my playground and fixation for a little while.

Thorough, and well-said. I agree with all points that you stated, except the shadow functions. If you are an INFJ, your shadow is the transverse of your ego, so Ne, Fi, Te, Si (ENFP), and pessimistic-leaning in nature according to Jung. It is not the transverse mirror of your functions, which in actually is the subconscious.

The subconscious and unconscious are similar in that they are well-below the surface of our psyche. The key difference between the subconscious and the unconscious is the unconscious is a pessimistic repressing of impulses/behaviors/desires/etc that you learned as a child as a way of coping with life's major problems/difficulties. The subconscious is not repression, but suppression, in that you are merely ignoring or pushing down those impulses beneath the surface, and it is easier to access than the unconscious, which is developed in childhood as a survival instinct/mechanism.

The subconscious is the gateway to understanding your thinking, impulse, and motivations. The unconscious takes a lot of work to see in yourself, to face with honesty, and to recognize as a part of your personality. Like any figure in reality, there is a 'shadow' attached, that cannot be detached or cut off. It is much more difficult to ascertain the origins of present-day behavior that don’t make much sense to you as they are inaccessible patterns to deduce, without self-analysis, therapy, or witnessing similar behaviors in others that trigger recall of particular experience/trauma/difficulties.

@Anomaly - I didn't say the INFJ shadow was Si, Te, Fi, Ne in that order. I was explaining that we all have eight functions and the ones that aren't in the top four (for the INFJ that is Ni Fe Ti Se) are shadow functions (leaving Si Te Fi Ne in the bottom four). We are capable of using any one of the shadow functions independently at any time. Sorry for the confusion.

@Anomaly - I didn't say the INFJ shadow was Si, Te, Fi, Ne in that order. I was explaining that we all have eight functions and the ones that aren't in the top four (for the INFJ that is Ni Fe Ti Se) are shadow functions (leaving Si Te Fi Ne in the bottom four). We are capable of using any one of the shadow functions independently at any time. Sorry for the confusion.
Okay, this makes a lot more sense, thank you.

Reactions: Wyote, Ren and Asa