Tin Man

"a respectable amount of screaming"
Jun 21, 2012
Right behind you...
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
N
This seems about as unINTJ a topic can get but after listening to a group discuss it, I've become curious. Supposedly loving oneself is an unconditional love of who you are, to completely accept everything about yourself. I dislike this idea for two reasons. Firstly, there will always be aspects of ourselves that need improving, weaknesses that need to be tended to. If you feel unconditional acceptance of yourself, what possible motivation could you have in becoming a better, stronger person?

Secondly, everything I've read from a neuroscience and psychological perspective suggests that we can only access a small portion of our brain. We have no control over what we find beautiful or the type of person we're attracted to. There are also numerous demons and perversions within our subconscious, feelings we are not responsible for but which can have a drastic effect on our life. How can you completely love something you don't even fully understand? Is it possible that self-love is really just a delusion?

Secondly, everything I've read from a neuroscience and psychological perspective suggests that we can only access a small portion of our brain. We have no control over what we find beautiful or the type of person we're attracted to. There are also numerous demons and perversions within our subconscious, feelings we are not responsible for but which can have a drastic effect on our life. How can you completely love something you don't even fully understand? Is it possible that self-love is really just a delusion?

Wouldn't this apply to loving other people as well then?

I thought this thread was about masturbation. >_>

Reactions: java
This seems about as unINTJ a topic can get but after listening to a group discuss it, I've become curious. Supposedly loving oneself is an unconditional love of who you are, to completely accept everything about yourself. I dislike this idea for two reasons. Firstly, there will always be aspects of ourselves that need improving, weaknesses that need to be tended to. If you feel unconditional acceptance of yourself, what possible motivation could you have in becoming a better, stronger person?

I can tell you that I love myself. I love myself a great deal; that does not mean I don't have faults. I could very quickly point out to you a long list. Yet, I still love myself, and I unconditionally love myself. Sometimes I feel unloveable by others, but I always love myself.

The way I see it, is that I am me, that is not going to change. I might as well love myself. It doesn't not feel like an illusion to me, it is not as though I walk with a head falling over due to it being so big. Instead, I love myself in the sense that I love other people. I nurture myself, I take care of myself, I appreciate myself, I accept myself.

Because I love myself, I have the desire to become better. That is my motivation.

I'll answer the first point. There is a difference between self-love and satisfaction with one's skills or abilities. Loving oneself does not mean conceiving oneself as perfection. It is a much more compassionate, unconditionally accepting and loving means with which to regard and feel for oneself. I might decide to improve xyz skills regardless of whether I love myself or not.

I'm not sure how to answer your second query. Why do you need to understand something 100% in order to love it? Wouldn't that be a form of conditional love, that you love yourself as long as you are X Y and Z?

It's not about being in love with one's self but more coming to accept one's self. Surely if we hate ourselves we will never be happy. The counter argument that if we aren't happy with ourselves then we'll improve (or at least try to improve ourselves) is true in a sense. If you aren't happy with the primary self though how could one ever feel motivated to do anything?

For me it's purely about seeing myself for who I am, with the roles I play behind me and the masks I wear on the table to my side. I look in that mirror and and although I don't like everything I see, I accept it. Sure I'm vulnerable but I'm also strong enough to be okay with being alone. Sure, at this point no one know's the real Jack any more because since the last time I showed him to anyone he's changed, but at least I've not become something I hate like other people I know.

I can look at my past self and say "That's who I was, not who I am". I've grown and I'm not held back by what I once was, I've come to accept a lot, the fact that I'll never be perfect will never stop me trying, I've come to love myself and, although at times it is tough love, it's love all the same.

I prefer self love with a dose of common sense reality along with it. Which i think is ideal. i think the whole self love idea was created for those that were at the negative end of the american culture. It was created to combat a culture that breeds insecurity, lack and poor self esteem from every angle imaginable. The idea was taken a little too far and became some kind of new habit one must develop to feel happier.

Knowing and accepting your shortcomings should make you feel more aware and free to be who you are. But worrying about what others think of them is the biggest obstacles people face in trying to assimilate all aspects of themselves and i agree that we are predominantly ruled by subconscious desires and root causes than rational conscious effort. So yes, the beauty is int he beholding of your own self despite all its flaws.:m083:

Reactions: David54

Ditto! But then I saw it was not in the mature section...and figured I was probably just being a perv...

i think the act of self love is to accept the fact that there are things that need improvement or that i don't like about myself and to love myself in spite of them.
self love is really self acceptance isn't it? i accept me as i am today. i hope i will be better tomorrow but i'm just as worthy of love regardless, from myself as well as others, without changing anything.

Reactions: David54 and slant
Thanks for the replies. I believe I'm familiar with what most of you are talking about, except I wouldn't call it self love. I like most facets of my personality, while I have my faults, there's little I would change about myself but I wouldn't go so far as to say I love myself. It could be because love is such an ambiguous thing and everyone has their own definition of it.

From what I've read here, it seems like self love is really just high self esteem, would that be correct?

Wouldn't this apply to loving other people as well then?

Yes, I don't believe you can love anybody without conditions. There will always be certain acts that a loved one might commit which will decrease your love them.

That was the first thing to come into my mind when I thought about self-love. I guess we're all perverts.

When I've thought about self love in the past, I have not thought that it means completely accepting everything about yourself, rather it is acknowledging you are not perfect, (and nobody is) but you are worthy of love and self respect despite your flaws.

There are many people in the world who have internal dialogues with themselves that are unbelievably harsh and cruel -- in my mind, self love means to change that dialogue to something more like a that of a coach or a loving parent. Kind of like, "All right, so you've screwed up (____fill in blank _________) but that does not make you worthless. Stop beating yourself up and let's figure out how to fix this, you certainly deserve better from yourself and others."

The world often tells us stories about ourselves and others that are not necessarily true. Self love, to me, counters these stories. I hope you are not one of those people who have a hateful inner dialogue or who has been told repeatedly how bad they are, but you know, there are many people like that out there.

Yes, those demons are often caused by literally a lifetime of being taught self-hate -- people who talk like this, I believe, are trying to counter them in one of the most effective ways possible. And you can't FULLY understand anything, yet people persist in loving things anyway! :)

Reactions: slant

Hmmm....

No. Self love is not a delusion.

First of all - there must be a clear distinction between the illusion of Romantic Love vs Unconditional Love. Do you feel the difference?

Secondly.... the Process of falling in love with our Selves involves many steps:

* getting to know everything there is to know about us - especially the aspects of our selves that we deny or suppress or are ashamed of or despise....etc....
*dealing with the denial phase. "Oh...surely I'm not really like that!"
*dealing with the emotions that come up surrounding the repressed/denied/shameful aspect of our Self. [this is the really hard part]
*not condemning and harshly judging the aspect
*having compassion for that part of our selves.
*accepting our aspect
*loving it for what it is.... as it is what made us who we are today.

THEN: All kinds of things start happening to fuel personal growth. The energy that was normally used to suppress or deny or negatively judge that aspect of our self is now freed up to be used in positive ways in our life.

Due to the process of acceptance - a lot of our baggage is now left by the side of the road and we are open to embrace new experiences and new wisdom and new love.

Our level of forgiveness and compassion is increased logarithmically for others and the people around us benefit from it which in turn brings benefit to us.

Reactions: slant
Let's revive this thread. I'm working on this really hard and would love to hear thoughts from other people about it.

Last edited:
I've always looked at it this way.

Think about the person you have loved the most in your life. How you felt, what process you went through when you first started? You would have (I would have) wanted to know the ins and outs of this person's mind. What makes them tick. Find their faults, their good points, know their history accepting it as truth. You would go through this whole process of getting to know this person you love.

Then you would evolve with them, learn to accept those faults, and relish their good points. You would want to be with them, feel comfortable with them, be content in their presence.

If you can feel how you feel with another in your mind, can you now say the same thing thinking about yourself? Are you inquisitive about your faults and good points and know them (most people think they know their faults but they don't). Can you accept or forgive those faults and take pride in your good points (without denigrating those good points)?

I think that is what self love is about. Not falling in love with yourself as such, but feeling the same love for yourself that you are willing to offer others. Not being more or less, but equal to. Why shouldn't you love yourself as much as you can love others. It's a bit like a plane trip when they talk about putting your face mask on BEFORE helping others. Take time out to learn and love yourself before thinking about loving others.

I TRY this, but it is hard as there is a side of you that taunts you about how deficient you really are. I need to really open up more about who and what I am and stop hiding a lot of my negative points and learn about them and from them I think. I also need to look at this "other side" that stops me from being more accepting of who I am.

I am getting to know myself better (slowly) and accept that "being enough" is about as good as I will get in this life. I don't think I will ever reach a stage where I can feel as I feel when in love with another. Unfortunate but true

Lately I've been trying to see it as less being wrong or right but that

Life is polarity
So for light there is dark

Our strengths cast a natural shadow that doesn't need to be fixed, simply observed and planned for

Leaning into my strengths and compensating for what is my weakness by doing so

It's really hard for me to not think about others, especially if there is a strong connection

I get consumed in that a lot

I'm happiest when I'm alone and completely absorbed in my own projects

But I learn the most, and grow the most, when I meet other people and let them be my experience of life instead of trying to work on anything in particular.

It's a hard balancing act.

I live by lagom though... Not too much, not too little. So I'm always trying to adjust the levers to see which is closer to just the right amount. It is tempting to try to grab for more than I need, or to not give myself enough of what I need, particularly fun. I struggle to have fun because sometimes I slip into doing nothing but having fun... Again... Hard for me to find sweet doors spots.

Self love that I am cultivating is to accept my feelings and validate them myself, it's okay for me to feel what I'm feeling even if I don't like it or it doesn't make sense. Not justifying myself; I have the right to exist I don't need to explain to others. Setting boundaries regularly to keep myself in track with my goals and not let my generous nature suck me dry. Taking time to make a decision instead of rushing because I feel obligated to decide as soon as possible for whatever reason. Declining to answer questions, not giving others what they want, I have the right to my privacy and I don't have to please everyone.

Knowing that the more authentic I am to myself, the easier it is to find likeminded people.

Knowing that i can trust myself, and sometimes I'll be wrong, but that's okay. You can't learn if you don't show up to class. So failing is part of the winning process... If you don't fail you're not pushing yourself to learn anything. You can't learn without trial and error. Accepting that.

In trusting myself, knowing that any circumstance I can live though and figure out. Any bad emotion will pass, as will good ones, as is the cycle of life. I don't have to worry because I'll figure things out. Celebrating the good I've done and deciding to focus on when things have worked out instead of when they haven't. If I do think of when things haven't worked out it's only as a learning experience, not to punish myself.

Practicing gratitude. Knowing that I have so much in my life and that in turn counters my want for more. As Mr. Rogers says... "Nobody can have everything." So we accept what we do have, and we actively strive to have everything we want, but we know we cannot. We know that it's essentially a losing game but that we know we'll gain SOME of what we want, so it's worth putting the work in anyway.

We must have vision to know the parth we're going, but the flexibility to see the value in detours and that which is unexpected.

It requires for me a complete shift in perspective... It's a lot of work to maintain.

I think that's the thing.

Most people don't spend time creating themselves. We have all of these inherited patterns, including generational traumas, and that's natural. But we also have the choice to decide to break those patterns and make ourselves what we want to be. Again realizing we will not achieve our complete ideal, but that our ideals push us towards a better life anyway.

Some decide to settle for as is... And that's part of appreciation what you do have. But I think it's fine to give hunger, it gives us the motivation to act and do, which is what you lack if you fully accept everything as is.