Scientists make synthetic life | INFJ Forum

Scientists make synthetic life

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
have you heard about this? it's amazing!! they've created a completely synthetic genome and transformed it into a bacterium, which went on to make millions of synthetic copies. i knew they could make stretches of DNA artificially & have them expressed, but i didn't realize they were at the level were they could manufacture an entire genome! this is just the beginning, i'm sure.. in a few years, synthetic organisms will replace many traditional industrial processes and completely change the way things are made :m200:we're living in exciting times !

although, can't help but wonder about the ethical implications of this. is this "playing God" in a sense? is it wrong?

Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

Page last updated at 22:51 GMT, Thursday, 20 May 2010 23:51 UK

By Victoria Gill Science reporter, BBC News
_47890096_gibson2hr.jpg
The synthetic cell looks identical to the 'wild type' Scientists in the US have succeeded in developing the first synthetic living cell.
The researchers constructed a bacterium's "genetic software" and transplanted it into a host cell.
The resulting microbe then looked and behaved like the species "dictated" by the synthetic DNA.
The advance, published in Science, has been hailed as a scientific landmark, but critics say there are dangers posed by synthetic organisms.
The researchers hope eventually to design bacterial cells that will produce medicines and fuels and even absorb greenhouse gases.
Craig Venter defends the synthetic living cell

The team was led by Dr Craig Venter of the J Craig Venter Institute (JCVI) in Maryland and California.
He and his colleagues had previously made a synthetic bacterial genome, and transplanted the genome of one bacterium into another.
Now, the scientists have put both methods together, to create what they call a "synthetic cell", although only its genome is truly synthetic.
Dr Venter likened the advance to making new software for the cell.
The researchers copied an existing bacterial genome. They sequenced its genetic code and then used "synthesis machines" to chemically construct a copy.
Dr Venter told BBC News: "We've now been able to take our synthetic chromosome and transplant it into a recipient cell - a different organism.
"As soon as this new software goes into the cell, the cell reads [it] and converts into the species specified in that genetic code."
The new bacteria replicated over a billion times, producing copies that contained and were controlled by the constructed, synthetic DNA.
"This is the first time any synthetic DNA has been in complete control of a cell," said Dr Venter.
'New industrial revolution' Dr Venter and his colleagues hope eventually to design and build new bacteria that will perform useful functions.
WATTS WHAT...

Continue reading the main story
_47890576_susan_watts_may10.jpg
Even some scientists worry we lack the means to weigh up the risks such novel organisms might represent, once set loose
Susan Watts BBC Newsnight science editor Read Susan Watts's thoughts Send us your comments
"I think they're going to potentially create a new industrial revolution," he said.
"If we can really get cells to do the production that we want, they could help wean us off oil and reverse some of the damage to the environment by capturing carbon dioxide."
Dr Venter and his colleagues are already collaborating with pharmaceutical and fuel companies to design and develop chromosomes for bacteria that would produce useful fuels and new vaccines.
But critics say that the potential benefits of synthetic organisms have been overstated.
Dr Helen Wallace from Genewatch UK, an organisation that monitors developments in genetic technologies, told BBC News that synthetic bacteria could be dangerous.
"If you release new organisms into the environment, you can do more harm than good," she said.
"By releasing them into areas of pollution, [with the aim of cleaning it up], you're actually releasing a new kind of pollution.
"We don't know how these organisms will behave in the environment."
Continue reading the main story
The risks are unparalleled, we need safety evaluation for this kind of radical research and protections from military or terrorist misuse
Julian Savulescu Oxford University ethics professor Profile: Craig Venter Ethics concern over synthetic cell
Dr Wallace accused Dr Venter of playing down the potential drawbacks.
"He isn't God," she said, "he's actually being very human; trying to get money invested in his technology and avoid regulation that would restrict its use."
But Dr Venter said that he was "driving the discussions" about the regulations governing this relatively new scientific field and about the ethical implications of the work.
He said: "In 2003, when we made the first synthetic virus, it underwent an extensive ethical review that went all the way up to the level of the White House.
"And there have been extensive reviews including from the National Academy of Sciences, which has done a comprehensive report on this new field.
"We think these are important issues and we urge continued discussion that we want to take part in."
Ethical discussions Dr Gos Micklem, a geneticist from the University of Cambridge, said that the advance was "undoubtedly a landmark" study.
But, he said, "there is already a wealth of simple, cheap, powerful and mature techniques for genetically engineering a range of organisms. Therefore, for the time being, this approach is unlikely to supplant existing methods for genetic engineering".
The ethical discussions surrounding the creation of synthetic or artificial life are set to continue.
Professor Julian Savulescu, from the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics at the University of Oxford, said the potential of this science was "in the far future, but real and significant".
"But the risks are also unparalleled," he continued. "We need new standards of safety evaluation for this kind of radical research and protections from military or terrorist misuse and abuse.
"These could be used in the future to make the most powerful bioweapons imaginable. The challenge is to eat the fruit without the worm."
The advance did not pose a danger in the form of bio-terrorism, Dr Venter said.
"That was reviewed extensively in the US in a report from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and a Washington defence think tank, indicating that there were very small new dangers from this.
"Most people are in agreement that there is a slight increase in the potential for harm. But there's an exponential increase in the potential benefit to society," he told BBC's Newsnight.
"The flu vaccine you'll get next year could be developed by these processes," he added.

Reactions: NeverAmI
Cool.

Sort of - I hope they start synthesising DNA for more complex organisms - such as dinosaurs... or even new species such as griffins. (Well that last one is probably far beyond our current scientific knowledge).

Cool.

Sort of - I hope they start synthesising DNA for more complex organisms - such as dinosaurs... or even new species such as griffins. (Well that last one is probably far beyond our current scientific knowledge).

haha, that'll be great, but i think it'll be many years before that's possible. still, i didn't think they'd get as far as they have in this short amount of time, so maybe i'm wrong. 2015 could see the birth of t-rex, 2.0 :D

i think what'll happen before that is a radical change in pharmaceuticals & the purification of minerals and the like. multi-billion dollar industries; the creation of potentially many new jobs.

Craig Venter, the guy from that project giving a talk about how they did it and what's up next:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHIocNOHd7A&feature=channel"]YouTube- Craig Venter unveils "synthetic life"[/ame]

I was following Craig Venter's work already, so am not surprised, but I like a lot to have that announced with definitiveness which can't be speculated about. As many other scientific news, the press tends to make it sound more sudden (like, they found the missing link; or they found alien life), when usually there's been a whole series of little steps for decades.

Cool.

Ehh, from what I understand of it, DNA codes for protiens, but not the end shape of an animal. You can't, for example, take the DNA of the trunk of an elephants and stick it on a giraffe cell to make a giraffe with a trunk. There is no Trunk DNA code. Also of the growth stuff has to do with the starter cell, and because they are using already existing bacteria (they didn't synth the whole lifeform yet, but maybe soon ;) ) we are limited to the final shape of what we try and code.

I dunno about moral problems so much as I hope they don't create a monster they cant control. Or worse, go nuts with patenting until all life, including natural species get divided up into companies as "owning" that lifeform.

I was listening to this on Science Friday NPR today... and got really scared.

I don't like this idea. They will create something that could become uncontrollable and cause problems for the environment/biosphere. I don't think that just because it is possible to create a synthetic organism, it is guaranteed this organism can be controlled or contained.

"If you release new organisms into the environment, you can do more harm than good,"

There is a balance to life.
Humanity has done enough mucking that up with our Industrial Revolution. And now a new one?

Just like any advance in technology, this will definitely have its controversies. People have already been talking about the potential for terrorism (which is a bit extreme..for now, anyway, who knows what the future holds.) The main moral issue that came to mind was the idea that these life forms are synthetic. Does that mean that their lives are purely manufactured and have no value as true life forms? And, could synthetically produced creatures be ethically used for animal testing?
There are a lot of questions, but I think that we might only find out some of the answers when the problems reveal themselves. I hope these scientists are ready to deal with whatever happens.

Once the cat is out of the bag, you can't go back and put it back in. It's out. If we don't develop the technology then someone else will. There will be consequences both unintended and intended. The people who invented asbestos couldn't have imagined Mesothelioma, and the people who discovered uranium couldn't have imagined the nuclear bomb. But once the technology is out there, it isn't going to go away.

I don't think the question should be whether or not to use the technology once it exists; I think the question becomes, "what are the ethical solutions to the long-term implications?"

Science loves to create, but they never know what to do with it. Someone says they've created the first Purple Monkey Dishwasher. "Great," R&D says. "What does it do?" And they shrug and wait for someone with vision to come up with practical applications. Unfortunately, no one creates the antidote before they create the problem. No one thinks beyond the "cool" factor, which gets us in trouble every time.

I was listening to this on Science Friday NPR today... and got really scared.

I don't like this idea. They will create something that could become uncontrollable and cause problems for the environment/biosphere. I don't think that just because it is possible to create a synthetic organism, it is guaranteed this organism can be controlled or contained.

There is a balance to life.
Humanity has done enough mucking that up with our Industrial Revolution. And now a new one?

Life as it is evolved over billions of years. Creating something as basic as what they are making is not likely to pose a threat; it would probably be destroyed quickly outside or even inside the laboratory. The more complex single cell organisms will be better adapted to the environment, and it will not be able to compete.

That is my guess though.

Life as it is evolved over billions of years. Creating something as basic as what they are making is not likely to pose a threat; it would probably be destroyed quickly outside or even inside the laboratory. The more complex single cell organisms will be better adapted to the environment, and it will not be able to compete.

That is my guess though.

it's true, cells are cultured in very specific media & under specific conditions (pH, temp, etc.), especially for genetic engineering purposes. they'd likely die in the hostile competitive environment that exists outside a lab.

Ehh, from what I understand of it, DNA codes for protiens, but not the end shape of an animal. You can't, for example, take the DNA of the trunk of an elephants and stick it on a giraffe cell to make a giraffe with a trunk. There is no Trunk DNA code. Also of the growth stuff has to do with the starter cell, and because they are using already existing bacteria (they didn't synth the whole lifeform yet, but maybe soon ;) ) we are limited to the final shape of what we try and code.

I dunno about moral problems so much as I hope they don't create a monster they cant control. Or worse, go nuts with patenting until all life, including natural species get divided up into companies as "owning" that lifeform.

I know.... Genetics was one my Majors.

The likelihood that we could "design" a viable organism unlike anything that has already lived/evolved is only slightly more likely than a tornado passing through a garbage dump and assembling a jet aircraft from scraps. Our best bet is to synthesise the gentic material from a real organism.

I vote the wooly mamoth as the first higher-animal candidate. We, as a species, have effectively demonstrated our ability to control Wooly Mamoths.

Last edited:
One guy was able to take biolumenescence from a fish and implant it into the wings of a bug using DNA switches.

Genetic switches are the core foundation of epigenetics and offer some interesting discoveries.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=regulating-evolution

They say there is a bunch of "Junk" in our DNA. I don't believe that for a second, I am surprised that anyone does.

Regardless of whether the concept is scary or not, we need to fully embrace the discovery because SOMEONE is going to continue working with it. We need to understand it completely so that we can be smart enough to prevent an outbreak of something. We also need to control what specific purposes and directions they go as it advances. Self-replication is incredibly important as a delivery mechanism, but obviously poses significant threat as well.

They say there is a bunch of "Junk" in our DNA. I don't believe that for a second, I am surprised that anyone does.
Hm, would you say that everything exists with purpose and has a function?

But I agree, they most likely do not have enough evidence for such claim. (eg: human appendix; turned out it is useful) So yeah, I doubt they can cut out all they claim is junk; and even then, to prove what they get is exactly the same in all other aspects.

I wouldn't say there is a universal explanation. but to have a bunch of 'junk' in the core building blocks of all life seems a bit of a cop out. Seriously, why would all that 'junk' be in there every time it replicated if it wasn't needed for something?

Given sometimes there are things left over that aren't necessarily used, but the leftovers in DNA is a TON of stuff! It's like before they knew the parts of the brain and just said that it is a bunch of grey stuff that controls us.

One guy was able to take biolumenescence from a fish and implant it into the wings of a bug using DNA switches.

Genetic switches are the core foundation of epigenetics and offer some interesting discoveries.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=regulating-evolution

Regardless of whether the concept is scary or not, we need to fully embrace the discovery because SOMEONE is going to continue working with it. We need to understand it completely so that we can be smart enough to prevent an outbreak of something. We also need to control what specific purposes and directions they go as it advances. Self-replication is incredibly important as a delivery mechanism, but obviously poses significant threat as well.
Oh yeah, epigenetics is great stuff.

I watched a whole Nova episode of it (or a show like it, on PBS) showed how one guy cured the cancer in several people by giving them this drug that essentially wiped clean their epigenome. Also, that your environment changes your epigenome, hence why one person in a set of twins would get cancer but the other wouldn't. Its also a little more concrete/believable than just blaming cancer on free radicals directly destroying DNA.

You can even have changes to your epigenome caused by famines experienced by your grandparents. Amazing stuff.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. It's been forever since cloning made Dolly the Sheep, and I haven't seen any human clone armies spring up yet, so I'm no too worried about this DNA building-from-scratch science just yet. They'll likely keep making fun and cool things for many more decades before making anything dangerous. Even the scientists themselves likely don't want to make anything like that quite yet, especially if they aren't equipped to control natural super-dangerous microbes. Scientists watch movies and Tv too XD.

Oh yeah, epigenetics is great stuff.

I watched a whole Nova episode of it (or a show like it, on PBS) showed how one guy cured the cancer in several people by giving them this drug that essentially wiped clean their epigenome. Also, that your environment changes your epigenome, hence why one person in a set of twins would get cancer but the other wouldn't. Its also a little more concrete/believable than just blaming cancer on free radicals directly destroying DNA.

You can even have changes to your epigenome caused by famines experienced by your grandparents. Amazing stuff.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. It's been forever since cloning made Dolly the Sheep, and I haven't seen any human clone armies spring up yet, so I'm no too worried about this DNA building-from-scratch science just yet. They'll likely keep making fun and cool things for many more decades before making anything dangerous. Even the scientists themselves likely don't want to make anything like that quite yet, especially if they aren't equipped to control natural super-dangerous microbes. Scientists watch movies and Tv too XD.

I am mainly concerned with medicinal delivery systems built on viral structures and the possible exploitations that could happen from that.

I am mainly concerned with medicinal delivery systems built on viral structures and the possible exploitations that could happen from that.
Say what now?