Science saved my Soul

Blind Bandit

Blind Man Being Lead to Nowhere
Donor
Jan 28, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
[youtube]r6w2M50_Xdk[/youtube]

Discuss, comment, rant all would be fine by me!

And I can say this video defiantly reflects my current beliefs.

When science is your new religion, you're doing it wrong.

When religion is your science, you're insane.

Reactions: AUM and Arsal
I cant view it, what's the summary points?

When science is your new religion, you're doing it wrong.

When religion is your science, you're insane.

I like this.

I've had moments where my mind expanded out into the universe and looked in wonder at the enormity of it all. Times like that gave me perspective on what a speck of dust I was/am.

I liked the video. I too thought people when heard an experience like that, they would attribute it to a Religious Experience. Perhaps when confronted with something they do not understand, they fall back to that concept. Sort of a default mind set.

He did give me a view of myself that I hadn't considered, though. He said we are Special. Science allows us to comprehend how huge we are while simultaneously realizing how small we are compared with the "grand - ness" of our Galaxy. Our minds are special. We are special when we use our minds in this way. I am glad I watched your video.

In the end, Arcade Fire song, I recognized a few of the people he flashed in the video. I thought it was especially cool that he had Leonard Bernstein passionately conducting an orchestra while the galaxy unfolded behind him.

With regard to what Wyote said, I once was asked, What IS my Religion? What do I worship? At first I guffawed and declared none. Then upon further introspection I realized how close I came to worshiping science and information. I revered knowledge above all.
Yet knowledge is not wisdom. Notice I said "revered". Is that not an act of religions?
Interesting to contemplate.

I think the author combined the "spirit" of being a human with the knowledge of science and gained Wisdom.

Thank you for sharing this BB.

Reactions: Wyote
That was amazing! :) It definitely sums up my feelings on the issue as well.

I can never listen to people talking about speeds and distances in the galaxy without hearing this in my head, because so many of the facts said in them are said in the song too:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk"]YouTube - ‪Galaxy Song‬‏[/ame]

:m015:

Science is one of the tools of satan - want proof? Just look:

zomg666.jpg

I was just going to post about the 666 thing!

So sense I started the thread.... Dose that mean I'm the Devil....?

Hell ya.... lets go do bad things.

but on a serious note

If anything is my religion its truth, knowledge and progress.

What you call your "religion" is my status quo. Science just 'is'. It never made sense to me to believe in something just because somebody told me to. The point where science stops and religion begins is the world which is unseen and unfalsifiable. Religion is a leap of faith.

So sense I started the thread.... Dose that mean I'm the Devil....?

Hell ya.... lets go do bad things.

but on a serious note

If anything is my religion its truth, knowledge and progress.

Your fear and reverence for God or gods is truth?

The world would be a much safer place if science was put back under church control.

Cheesy, but true. The title of this thread is misleading however.

The world would be a much safer place if science was put back under church control.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

If not, then it would seem a conflict of interests since the primary function of religion, especially the church (whatever the denomination save Unitarians) is to preserve doctrine and revealed truths which are not subject to change- only to sometimes be redefined in order to fit the original paradigm and tradition.

To me the goal of science is to further knowledge whether or not it screws up previous epistemological strongholds and perennial truths. This does not always happen (due to human hubris and various mitigating forces) but as a general rule the goal of science is to seek progress.