School: K — 12

jimtaylor

On Holiday
May 19, 2010
MBTI
No Need
Enneagram
Yup
I am curious what everybody’s experience was during those years? Good, bad, somewhere in-between. I will start off by sharing my own experiences.

I really enjoyed every level of education. I changed schools a couple of times but I always pretty quick to get friends despite the fact that I am quiet and shy. When I was younger they actually had me in special education because they thought I had a learning disability. The truth is I just cared more about playing more than doing school work and didn’t really see a point to school.

So they had me reading Dr. Seuss and very basic math until about 4[SUP]th[/SUP] grade and then they figured out that I could actually do both very well but that I just didn’t want to do anything harder. I was a stubborn kid. I went from being in special education in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] grade to honors classes by 6[SUP]th[/SUP] grade. It was quite the turnaround. From then on I was mostly a 4.0 student but not the model student by any means.

Never could really cure that stubbornness. Teachers liked me for the most part but I got into trouble quite often or was associated in some way with trouble. I got caught cheating a couple of times or helping kids cheat because nobody would assume I would be the one doing it. I got caught passing notes and things like that because again the teachers didn’t think I would be the type of person doing that stuff. I just didn’t see the point to tests and some of the overwhelming rules so I didn’t really follow them. So besides the trouble, school was awesome.

As I said, I have always been pretty quiet, different and shy. That didn’t stop me from having a big social circle. I wasn’t partying or anything like that. I was just my own little social island that floated from clique to clique. I had good friends from all different backgrounds because again I just really didn’t recognize that there was a social order to things. I was oblivious to all the drama and all the gossip. I just got along with everybody and I didn’t care who people saw me affiliating with.

I had a couple people over the years that tried to bully me but it never worked. Like I said, I had a lot of good friends from many different backgrounds. If someone tried to bully me, I always had one or two good friends there to stand up for me. Many of those, I am still good friends with now. I am not a rebel trying to stick it to the system by any means. I just don’t fit into the mold they were trying to squeeze me into so I found my own way of doing things and it worked

This is a really interesting topic! But I gotta go to work and will respond more later.

Okay, more time now. I loved elementary school. I was very fortunate and went to a really good school that had great teachers for the most part. A couple of cranky ones too, but the good ones made up for the bad ones, at least in elementary school. I was introduced to art, music, and libraries in elementary school. Three of my favorite things to this day.

Middle school and junior high school were okay. My social circle expanded ten fold in those grades. My home life and school life were vastly different places though and I started losing interest in school; it just didn't relate to my real life in any way whatsoever. By the time high school came around; I hated school and was bored out of my mind.

I ended up leaving high school and taking the GED. I started at a community college and then finished at a state university. Then a strange twist of fate happened and I became a teacher :love:

Last edited: