save the world | INFJ Forum

save the world

myself

Permanent Fixture
Apr 1, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
are we the people we've been waiting for?

saving the world is a big job, but why not try?

what else are we supposed to do with our time?

someone's gotta do it... right? right?!

we just need a few thousand motivated peoples to get the ball rolling

it's such a huge issue to approach

what is wrong with the world... what needs saving...?

is it hopeless?

there must be something we can do.

what can we do?

just imagine... ok? work with me here

This sounds like a song, so now I will say something that sounds like a movie.

If I do you one favor, don't pay me back, but pay 16 people forward. This way in only about a month, the entire world will be better, and rescued. Save Madagascar, and Sri Lanka, along with Indonesia, ain't no one gonna be bothered going out there. Australia maybe...

how can we stop the plastic?

if i buy a tooth brush, the clerk puts it in a plastic bag

everything gets a plastic bag

how did we ever get along without plastic bags?

the waste we generate boggles my mind...

there is a movement to make plastic bags illegal

what about taking this idea further and cutting down on all plastic packaging

you know?

lets cut out the styrofoam cups too

feel me?

BagForLife.jpg

Just tell him to not put it in a plastic bag.

Reactions: Bird
Those reusable grocery bags are so awesome! They hold so much more and are super sturdy! I love not having to worry about stuffing too much in a bag and having it rip as I am picking it up...

I recycle plastic bags, for personal use. You never know what you might need a bag for.

I reuse the plastic bags for garbadge bags, since I only have about 1 plastic bags worth of real garbadge that can't be recycled it's a good deal. most of the time I just put the shopping straight into my backpack, that way I don't have to carry it on my arm and I can use that hand for mp3 player operating while I'm walking home.

I don't think that's the big issue really, to be honest if we make them illegal etc, clean up the earth a bit, all it will do is buy us a bit more time. if we don't stop breeding as much as we are, necessitating the use of resources that we use, we're goners anyway.

The western world use far too much, if we keep going the way that we are, we'll need another 2 earths to meet our needs. Our lives are longer because of all the wonderful medical treatments available to us against natures way of controling population. and in pretty much every country there's overpopulation. Immigration will help some of it, but to be honest, immigration isn't the answer to the world's problems.

We need to produce less. I personally like the idea of parental licencing, because in my line of work I see too many stupid people becoming parents for all the wrong reasons, hense why they are now neglecting their children. and I'm also in favour of limiting the number of children we're entitled to. but I know it will never happen. however I can take some comfort in the fact that I won't be here to watch the world go down hill.

The world can go save itself,

I'll be in the lab, in my underground lair if anyone needs me.

I reuse the plastic bags for garbadge bags, since I only have about 1 plastic bags worth of real garbadge that can't be recycled it's a good deal. most of the time I just put the shopping straight into my backpack, that way I don't have to carry it on my arm and I can use that hand for mp3 player operating while I'm walking home.

I don't think that's the big issue really, to be honest if we make them illegal etc, clean up the earth a bit, all it will do is buy us a bit more time. if we don't stop breeding as much as we are, necessitating the use of resources that we use, we're goners anyway.

The western world use far too much, if we keep going the way that we are, we'll need another 2 earths to meet our needs. Our lives are longer because of all the wonderful medical treatments available to us against natures way of controling population. and in pretty much every country there's overpopulation. Immigration will help some of it, but to be honest, immigration isn't the answer to the world's problems.

We need to produce less. I personally like the idea of parental licencing, because in my line of work I see too many stupid people becoming parents for all the wrong reasons, hense why they are now neglecting their children. and I'm also in favour of limiting the number of children we're entitled to. but I know it will never happen. however I can take some comfort in the fact that I won't be here to watch the world go down hill.

i disagree with population control. this is like saying, we'll give licenses to people to learn to read, and they will only be given to the people WE deem worthy of reading, the people who will not use their ability to read to make bombs. the potential for active abuse and inhumanity in such a system is unlimited.

also disagree about plastic. things like using less plastic, cutting down less trees, eating less animals, catching more public transport - these things ARE meaningful. if nothing else, there's nothing wrong with buying more time in which to sort out the problems.

Last edited:
I recycle plastic bags, for personal use. You never know what you might need a bag for.

I like to braid rugs out of plastic bags.

I don't use them though so I guess this
is pretty inefficient. I thought it was a
great idea until I realized wet plastic on
linoleum is quite slippery.

Last edited:
disagree with population control. this is like saying, we'll give licenses to people to learn to read, and they will only be given to the people WE deem worthy of reading, the people who will not use their ability to read to make bombs. the potential for active abuse and inhumanity in such a system is unlimited.

also disagree about plastic. things like using less plastic, cutting down less trees, eating less animals, catching more public transport - these things ARE meaningful. if nothing else, there's nothing wrong with buying more time in which to sort out the problems.
Problems don't just go away because you want them to or pretend they aren't there.
overpopulation is a problem, as as this generation and the one before it might well have an average age over over 70, or at least close to it, and let's not forget all the people who are going to be born in between now and then. where are we going to put them all?

are we going to invent time travel and have them live in the past where there was more room and hope they don't screw anything up?

will we have invented space flight of any real value by then and move them off to mars or something? that's all hoping we figure out how we can actually live there....

are we going to have a limited age that people can live to? put down all the disabled babies or something similarly disgusting?

Now to be honest, I'd rather have a limit to the number of children a couple can have, let's say, 1 child per person, that way married couples have the right to 2 children rather than sometime along the line having to start treating people like animals and putting the less able ones to sleep or denying medical care to some just so we can control the population of the planets, because we're no closer to option 1 or 2 as a means of easing that burdon.

As for plastic and public transport and so on, it's only meaningful if we make it harder for people to be wasteful idiots. People should only be able to drive cars if they have more than 3 people travelling in them. Plastic bags should be banned altogether and so on. Most serious environmentalists will tell you that for the most part we do waste a hell of a lot more than we recycle, because most of us simply don't. so by that, yes, a lot of our tocan gestures to the planet that is our home are indeed meaningless, because they aren't really helping. we're still wasteful, we still drive more than we need to and the rain forests are still getting chopped down.

Problems don't just go away because you want them to or pretend they aren't there.
overpopulation is a problem, as as this generation and the one before it might well have an average age over over 70, or at least close to it, and let's not forget all the people who are going to be born in between now and then. where are we going to put them all?

are we going to invent time travel and have them live in the past where there was more room and hope they don't screw anything up?

will we have invented space flight of any real value by then and move them off to mars or something? that's all hoping we figure out how we can actually live there....

are we going to have a limited age that people can live to? put down all the disabled babies or something similarly disgusting?

Now to be honest, I'd rather have a limit to the number of children a couple can have, let's say, 1 child per person, that way married couples have the right to 2 children rather than sometime along the line having to start treating people like animals and putting the less able ones to sleep or denying medical care to some just so we can control the population of the planets, because we're no closer to option 1 or 2 as a means of easing that burdon.

As for plastic and public transport and so on, it's only meaningful if we make it harder for people to be wasteful idiots. People should only be able to drive cars if they have more than 3 people travelling in them. Plastic bags should be banned altogether and so on. Most serious environmentalists will tell you that for the most part we do waste a hell of a lot more than we recycle, because most of us simply don't. so by that, yes, a lot of our tocan gestures to the planet that is our home are indeed meaningless, because they aren't really helping. we're still wasteful, we still drive more than we need to and the rain forests are still getting chopped down.

i'm not saying population isn't a problem, i'm just saying that i don't agree with your solution. i think it's ultimately unfair, and wrong.

i wasn't saying that people can't be wasteful idiots, i was only saying it's meaningful to pollute less.

what is wrong with the world... what needs saving...?

What indeed. What needs correcting, and who needs to correct it? Presupposes there is an objective right and wrong, and further, that you're enlightened to it and have the subsequent moral duty to enforce it.

is it hopeless?
No.

there must be something we can do.
I'm sure there is.

what can we do?
Defining what needs to be done and why would be the first step. What do you feel are the most prominent issues humanity and the world at large is facing these days, @myself?

if we don't stop breeding as much as we are, necessitating the use of resources that we use, we're goners anyway.

We need to produce less.

plastic and packaging is something that we CAN regulate, as soon as we decide to do so

for every plastic bag I dont use, I know there are a few million others being used every day...
laws should be passed to stop this madness. people dont realize how wasteful it really is.

the bags inevitably end up in the ocean, polluting our food supply

we are poisoning our oceans with this plastic

why do we submit to such stupid, wasteful practices?

we need to re-imagine a cleaner, more efficient way to do it
this is not an impossible challenge. it just takes some motivation.

plastic bottles are a problem too. make them illegal or add a tax to them...

money is an excellent motivator. money raises awareness.

population control, perhaps could be financed...

is it possible to purchase a smaller population?

couldnt we reward people for not having children?

free vasectomies? no taxes for sterilized persons?

this is a tough one

increased education and awareness might be our best bet

what a ridiculous mess

I'm already busily doing what I can on this front; sadly the masses won't be easily moved and they're both the source of and the solution to the problem.

the waste we generate boggles my mind...

there is a movement to make plastic bags illegal

what about taking this idea further and cutting down on all plastic packaging
you know?

lets cut out the styrofoam cups too

feel me?

I worked at a grocery store back in the early 80's when plastic bags first came out.
At the time the spin used to get the public to accept them was that they were environmentally friendly as opposed to paper which cut down trees.
The truth was they cost stores next to nothing compared to a paper bag.

Most brown paper bags have a very high post consumer recycled content.
So in the end are a better choice as long as you do your part to put them back into the recycling stream when done.

We recycle everything we can in our household. It is amazing how much less trash we are sending off to the landfill.

It really annoys me when I purchase one small item at a store, and the clerk places it in a bag. I always take it out and leave the bag behind at the counter if I don't stop them first.

Last edited:

Overpopulation and all the problems associated with it are a direct result of overconsumption, which is fueled by overproduction, which is propagated by a few key interest groups such as those in the agricultural sector. The fortunes of a few depend on high production; reversing this trend would require going against these groups, which I think will be difficult. One person not producing or not consuming would change his life, but I doubt it would have much effect on the whole.

You cant save the world, you're too small, its too big, and what is the world? the earth and rocks? the world to me is human kind.

The western world use far too much, if we keep going the way that we are, we'll need another 2 earths to meet our needs. Our lives are longer because of all the wonderful medical treatments available to us against natures way of controling population. and in pretty much every country there's overpopulation.

I totally agree with this.

I purchase things that are necessary for me from small businesses that promote a better world, such as recycled, grown organic, and family owned and operated whenever I can. I'm an internet consumer because of that. I pay more for my groceries by going to the employee owned grocery store instead of WalMart.

I also stopped buying presents for people, stopped participating in all those merchandised holidays, stopped buying nonsense items that don't serve a purpose in my life. I stopped buying STUFF.

When you talk about plastic you are really talking about crude oil/petroleum. Since Big Energy Oil Companies essentially run this globe - it's highly unlikely you'll be able to make a dent in that business machine unless you make a conscious effort to not buy anything made of plastic. And that's incredibly difficult these days. Even clothing largely comes from plastic. I've bought bed sheets made from bamboo and clothing made from hemp. I get my flax seed from a family in Oregon, my skin/soap products from a family in Canada, and so on.

If you limit the consumer (population control) then you limit the control of large companies on dictating the kind of purchases you make. Another benefit to that is that once the population diminishes a human life becomes more valuable. As it is now - humans globally are reduced to a commodity to be bought and sold like oranges.

I applaud your efforts here. :high5:

Keep brainstorming.

Overpopulation and all the problems associated with it are a direct result of overconsumption, which is fueled by overproduction, which is propagated by a few key interest groups such as those in the agricultural sector. The fortunes of a few depend on high production; reversing this trend would require going against these groups, which I think will be difficult. One person not producing or not consuming would change his life, but I doubt it would have much effect on the whole.

All well said; All this is being done to enrich the already obscenely rich. To really fix the problem, people will have to redefine themselves and their needs... cooperate with each other a bit more; return to the village mentality (in part) somehow without abandoning the global progress towards things like space exploration, medical advancement, et cetera. It can be done, it'll just take some creativity and positive persuasion.