Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
just wondering;

Are there anything you'd want (key word being this) to sacrifice your happiness for?

Serious or not, answer it anyway you'd like :)

/musing mood

This was my immediate thought: "I would; so that my father could talk again before he dies."
Then I thought: what about the rest of your life- ya know - after he's gone? Life without happiness (joy as I call it) is not a life worth living - is it?
This is a tough question.
What about giving up happiness to gain world peace? That was my other response. Again - Life without any joy would just not be worth living.
Looks like I'd be giving my life for these alleged gains.

A real life situation where I could see myself doing this is for my future children. Anyone else I would be willing to do this for wouldn't want me to.

just wondering;

Are there anything you'd want (key word being this) to sacrifice your happiness for?

Serious or not, answer it anyway you'd like :)

/musing mood

sure.. many things. i'd sacrifice short term happiness for long term security, i'd sacrifice my own happiness for someone else's if it meant more to them than mine did to me.. i'd sacrifice happiness for information and knowledge, if the latter brought me closer to understanding the reality of the situation i'm in.

almost everyday i sacrifice my happiness for progress in terms of my instrument, and i am one of the many who do this. i am hoping there will be a day when i can back off a bit but i know it won't be anytime soon. self criticism sucks, but i can't see any other way around it.

Whenever it is for something more important to me than me. Basically just about anytime.

I'd sacrifice my freedom of movement or action to take care of my parents when they become old and decrepit. I don't know if I'd be unhappy doing so though, (I'd just have to make sure I don't let myself get burned out.) because I couldn't be happy living knowing they weren't comfortable and well cared for in that time.

I'd sacrifice my freedom of movement or action to take care of my parents when they become old and decrepit. I don't know if I'd be unhappy doing so though, (I'd just have to make sure I don't let myself get burned out.) because I couldn't be happy living knowing they weren't comfortable and well cared for in that time.

You will find, even should you get burned out, a different kind of happiness doing so. It is an inner peace to help guide you through the difficulties.

Honestly I couldn't sacrifice my happiness, because that would severly depress some people I know... probably the only way to depress me is to make me lose hope. and dear god... where would we be without that... maybe I sound selfish, but it seems my selfish interests have brought a lot of good things to others... like spillover benifits. and not to mention... I've heard that my fighting spirit is somthing that brings the best out of people... I'd be stupid not to listen and I'd be stupid to give up one of the few good qualities I have in me...

anyway I can't imagine being unhappy about sacrificing my happiness for somthing worth it.

but it seems my selfish interests have brought a lot of good things to others... like spillover benifits

I totally agree. I have so much more to offer when happy, its not just me that benefits when I pursue my own happiness.

I don't really have much happiness so there isn't much to sacrifice. Honestly, I would say there are possibly a few personal things I would sacrifice happiness for, but the thing is I think I could gain it back over time.

I find hapiness in the sacrafice and joy in the sorrow.

It is impossible for me to give it up.

Reactions: kita
You will find, even should you get burned out, a different kind of happiness doing so. It is an inner peace to help guide you through the difficulties.

this is a good point. it's more like you're exchanging one kind of happiness for another, rather than sacrificing happiness.

No. I will never sacrifice myself in friendship. But wait! I will share my happiness in friendship. Why should we lose? Apply win/win buddies. :D

Temporarily? Yes, I would sacrifice my happiness for a lot of things temporarily, as long as I know it will come back.

Permanently? It would have to be something pretty big. It would have to be something like a guarantee that society and technology would continue advancing as they have, and that all the problems we face today would be eliminated eventually.

Depends on what exactly we mean by happiness, because I enjoy a plethora of emotions (including anger and melancholy).

sure.. many things. i'd sacrifice short term happiness for long term security, i'd sacrifice my own happiness for someone else's if it meant more to them than mine did to me.. i'd sacrifice happiness for information and knowledge, if the latter brought me closer to understanding the reality of the situation i'm in.

^^^This.

And I'd add that anything which amplified the meaning of my life. I'd give up long-term happiness if it meant my life would become pregnant with meaning.

yes i'd do it if it would make the world a better place in some small meaningful and lasting way but as athenian wrote there are no guarantees in life.