Runner's High and Se | INFJ Forum

Runner's High and Se

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
"Oh my my... Oh hell yes..."

For those of you who are trying to develop your Se, I highly suggest striving for the state called 'The Runner's High'.

The "runner's high", is said to occur when strenuous exercise takes a person over a threshold that activates endorphin production. Endorphins are released during long, continuous workouts, when the level of intensity is between moderate and high, and breathing is difficult. This also corresponds with the time that muscles use up their stored glycogen. During a release of endorphins the person may be exposed to bodily harm from strenuous bodily functions after going past his or her body's physical limit. This means that runners can keep running despite pain, continuously surpassing what they once considered to be their limit

These endorphins are designed to enhance the physical cognition and capacity of the individual, because a human wouldn't normally push themselves past their limits unless they needed the extra physical and mental capacities to survive - to catch prey, escape danger, etc. To quote a friend of mine when I told him I just ran 4 miles, he asked "Did they catch you?" Hehe, implying that the only reason someone would run that far is danger.

The end result of this endorphin release is to enhance not only physical performance, but mental performance as well - and you guessed it, this mental performance is almost purely Se.

Simple way to get into a runner's high:

Figure out what your heart rate ranges are based on your age. Here's a handy calculator. Next, find a good cardio machine (treadmill, elliptical, stairs, bike, etc.) that has a heart rate monitor. Last, get on it and push your heart rate to the top of your range and keep it there for 30 minutes.

(Afterward, it's a good idea to slow down over several minutes until your heart rate is below your exercise range. For example, if your range is 128-153, push yourself to 150-155 for 30 minutes, then slow down for about 5 minutes until your heart rate is down to 128 before you completely stop.)

Do this 3 to 5 times a week, and you will be amazed at the difference in your energy levels, emotional levels, and your Se.

The end result of this endorphin release is to enhance not only physical performance, but mental performance as well - and you guessed it, this mental performance is almost purely Se.

Do this 3 to 5 times a week, and you will be amazed at the difference in your energy levels, emotional levels, and your Se.
It helps out all the cfs in this context. Its effect on Se is just more noticeable because it's farther in the hierarchy of cfs.

You can achieve that high feeling from cutting out all carbs and getting into ketosis as well. I'm not sure how healthy that is for long term; and it also puts a damper on high intensity physical exercise every day, which is another drawback.

I like fasted (16 hours without food prior) sprints to get the endorphin rush. Which you can't do on a cardio machine effectively.

/love runners high, late at night on the street past midnight, no shirt just sweating and feeling like a piece of the environment, its so invigorating.

Reactions: Nixie
/love runners high, late at night on the street past midnight, no shirt just sweating and feeling like a piece of the environment, its so invigorating.
+1. night's the best.

i loved cross country.

the feeling after a meet (race) was the best. you know, during the end of the race, after you finish your 5k, after fall down, after you almost puke, oh, and when you're stretching after your run. feels so good.

It helps out all the cfs in this context. Its effect on Se is just more noticeable because it's farther in the hierarchy of cfs.

This is very likely. However, in my experience, it seems like this makes my Se and Fe improve the most noticeably.

You can achieve that high feeling from cutting out all carbs and getting into ketosis as well. I'm not sure how healthy that is for long term; and it also puts a damper on high intensity physical exercise every day, which is another drawback.

I would really only advise people doing this if they are Type O blood types. The high ph value in O Type blood (and therefore digestive system) is well suited to digest a high protein and high fat diet. The other blood types will have problems processing these foods in the long term. But, if you're an O, you can do low carb dieting indefinitely, and especially if you have blood sugar issues or are diabetic.

I did Atkins a few years ago and lost 74 pounds in a little over 3 months. I went from 240 to 165, and haven't gained much of it back since. The most I've weighed since then has been 210 and it took years to regain. As soon as I started the diet up again, the weight fell off like a prom dress. I'm back down to 190, and it's mostly muscle.

That said, the exercise definitely helps! And, I can say from all experience that I can feel it when my body shifts from glucose to fat cells. There is a heart rate jump for about a minute, my body temperature shifts, and everything gets blurry... then BAM! I'm super clear and kicking ass for the rest of the workout and the rest of the day!

The body is working like it is supposed to!

If you're getting exercise and doing the low carb, high protein, high exercise diet (and especially if you're an O Type) this form of ketosis is the Competition Mode that we evolved when coming out of the winter to drop what fat we had left and build muscle for chasing down game. It's the opposite of the high carb, low protein, low exercise ketosis Starvation Mode that humans evolved for surviving the winter on the gathered harvests.

This Competition Mode is designed to make us able to kick ass and run at peak performance, which of course means a whole lot of Runner's High.

I like fasted (16 hours without food prior) sprints to get the endorphin rush. Which you can't do on a cardio machine effectively.

Heh, I think that's exactly the same end result as no carb ketosis, and I'm sure it works like a champ. Might shift you into starvation mode though.

Reactions: rawr

Might shift you into starvation mode though.

I WAS WONDERING WHAT THAT WAS. I did some weird shit. Starved 13 hours then ate a fuckload. I had a REALLY WEIRD ENERGETIC HIGH after that. The best way to describe is that I felt 'animalistic'. Felt very energetic and aggressive.

(Afterward, it's a good idea to slow down over several minutes until your heart rate is below your exercise range. For example, if your range is 128-153, push yourself to 150-155 for 30 minutes, then slow down for about 5 minutes until your heart rate is down to 128 before you completely stop.)

30 minutes of running? I take it this runner's high is hard to achieve as a fat fuck (i.e. self reference, in case you feel insulted)

so true! i never thought of it this way! i get this from swimming laps!

if you are just starting to exercise, just do 15-20 min of moderate exercise. you should never be unable to speak sentences! then you can work up later.

It's just... so damn boring! This takes about an hour and you only experience that high for a few minutes during a workout. I could think of about 1,000 other things to be doing during this.

I would really only advise people doing this if they are Type O blood types. The high ph value in O Type blood (and therefore digestive system) is well suited to digest a high protein and high fat diet. The other blood types will have problems processing these foods in the long term. But, if you're an O, you can do low carb dieting indefinitely, and especially if you have blood sugar issues or are diabetic.
We're lucky. Which makes me wonder what Type As, Bs, and ABs have on us.

If you're getting exercise and doing the low carb, high protein, high exercise diet (and especially if you're an O Type) this form of ketosis is the Competition Mode that we evolved when coming out of the winter to drop what fat we had left and build muscle for chasing down game. It's the opposite of the high carb, low protein, low exercise ketosis Starvation Mode that humans evolved for surviving the winter on the gathered harvests.

This Competition Mode is designed to make us able to kick ass and run at peak performance, which of course means a whole lot of Runner's High.

Heh, I think that's exactly the same end result as no carb ketosis, and I'm sure it works like a champ. Might shift you into starvation mode though.

The only time I've ever experienced muscle loss, which is what I think you mean by starvation mode, is when I've done a ketogenic diet and done LOTS of HIIT. Of course, I was on relatively low calories, around 2200-2500, for my activity level. From my experience, your body uses muscle as a last resort, in any sort of quantity. Starvation mode hasnt made me a victim yet, though lots of people are scared of it for some reason. I go 17-24 hours every day without food.

My favorite part of the ketogenic diet was hormone manipulation. Keeping insulin stable so HGH and testosterone compensate for it. Adding a weekly carb up made all 3 skyrocket.

30 minutes of running? I take it this runner's high is hard to achieve as a fat fuck (i.e. self reference, in case you feel insulted)

Nah, actually it's easier for you to get to that target heart rate. You don't have to do as much.

It's just... so damn boring! This takes about an hour and you only experience that high for a few minutes during a workout. I could think of about 1,000 other things to be doing during this.

No, the runner's high lasts for hours... most of the day in fact.

But yes, it is sooooo boring.

We're lucky. Which makes me wonder what Type As, Bs, and ABs have on us.

Off the top of my head... MUCH better glucose management and ability to process the 'modern' diet.

Could be, I can't ever get a runners high even though I run many times a week.

Also I cant keep my heart rate between 128-153, it just goes into the 170's and 180's and then back down to my regular heart rate. If I slow down then I'm just walking again which makes it a little pointless.

YES! I love the runner's high! This is what I want everyone to experience every day. Beyond the fact that I feel like I can take on anything, anyone in the world, it always makes me feel so accomplished and good about myself. My visual experience is enhanced. I see colours and shapes more clearly; or at least, I take more notice of them than I normally do. I'm alive and in the world.

Though I had no idea that this is what Se feels like.

I always get the best high after 25 minutes of HIIT (7.8 mph max/3.4 mph min). If I do long distances, it's never as intense.

I WAS WONDERING WHAT THAT WAS. I did some weird shit. Starved 13 hours then ate a fuckload. I had a REALLY WEIRD ENERGETIC HIGH after that. The best way to describe is that I felt 'animalistic'. Felt very energetic and aggressive.

I used to be anorexic and - yes. I think perhaps if you've got sugar breakdown in your body to replace the sugar you are not eating then you eat something, your body might have a bit of trouble keeping the blood sugar down for a couple of minutes? Do you get blurry eyes? I do and that's another high blood sugar thing, I think. I'm not sure about this, though - massively doubting my logic - because in non-diabetes, are bodies are actually very, very good at stabilising our blood sugar. All that shit you get about it in magazines, they're talking about particular chemicals that are used to stabilise blood sugar, such as leptin, which are also the hormones that tell us when we're hungry. So a low-GI diet for non diabetics is probably more about that action than actual blood sugar (as far as I can tell) because a non diabetic person can go for weeks without food before they die (whereas a diabetic would die very quickly) and a non diabetic person can eat shitloads all day and just feel a bit bloated (if a diabetic's blood sugar increases they die very quickly indeed).

Don't know how I got off on that, sorry......

Anyway, love running, but haven't really done the runner's high because I tend to pace myself. There is some release of endorphins lower down the scale and it would make sense that people with Se will enjoy it more because of the thrill nature and also being outside.

You don't necessarily need to go for the runner's high, brisk exercise that gets your heart rate up slightly for a prolonged period is recommended as the first response to depression and anxiety because it really does work very, very, very well. (Which is why you get people with addictions to exercise!)

Cool!

Sorry, just rambling now, ignore me...

If you are 31, then your target heart rate lists as 132-161. If you work out regularly and have been for years, then what you described is actually pretty normal.

Okay good. I've always wondered if I had some weird BP problem that never was detected.

Running connects me to power that I can take anywhere with me. Both my Se and Ni are allowed to co-exist; the resulting chemistry is not unlike an atomic blast.

Reactions: VH