Routine vs. novelty | INFJ Forum

Routine vs. novelty

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Which do you prefer?

I like the stability of routine, knowing what to do or expect. It's like having a path laid out before you. However, I also want to be able to take a new turn or different path if I like and not be a prisoner to routine. I want to be able to not do the same things all the time or change things up.

I like a basic framework of routine that can be slightly altered to include some novelty every once in a while. I have a difficult time with being spontaneous, but every once in a while I will surprise myself and others. I hate when somebody else changes my plans, it puts me in a bad mood.

A stable and safe routine...but one can't always get what they want.
I try to console myself with the fact that change can sometimes bring about personal growth.

i love novelty but i am extremely routine

I'm forced to live a very routine life. It's driving me insane!

Too much routine drove me crazy with its complacency and meaninglessness.
Too much novelty drove me crazy with its unpredictability.

I like routines; it's safe and comfortable and easy to adapt.
I like novelty; it's exciting and new and it teaches a lot of things.

But I think I lean more towards novelty, knowledge-wise; I'd like to read about something new; deeper or wider.
However, when solving problems, I honestly prefer the predictable ones; less hassle that way.
But when doing things, I do prefer finding a novel way to approach it.
And let us not talk about grocery shopping because WHAT IS THIS OH MY GOD SO INTERESTING SO SHINY OMG OMG AHIEEEEEEEEEE

....Se. So much Se.

Reactions: Gaze
I can't imagine how one would grow and change without some element of novelty in life. I can't imagine how it would be enjoyable without it either.

I can't imagine how one would grow and change without some element of novelty in life. I can't imagine how it would be enjoyable without it either.
*sniff niff2*

Your slight mistake is in assuming that everyone wants to grow and change.
Life can be enjoyable without growth and change, for some people-- I learned that.

Hands down prefer routine, I'm a sensitive guy who enjoys silent contemplation and knowledge.

In actuality my life feels like I'm running a marathon down a dark hallway bumping into tasers hung from wires only to find those tasers and wires are actually snakes eating skittles when the floor drops out beneath me and I'm flying over saturn before I realize I'm not alone but in an alien spaceship with the allman brothers and my mother singing back ups until we get sucked into a black hole and shot back out as stardust into the milky way and so on..

The only thing that keeps me on this rollercoaster is knowing its all going to end someday, and knowing that in my 'right' mind, that's not something I really honor.

Reactions: Gaze
Novelty, mainly because of curiosity. Dont like routines, they dont make much sense to me. i have adopted them only when ive had to for the sake of fitting in with other people. i appreciate and enjoy the familiar, but dont see why the familiar has to close off other possibilities.