Romance style and MBTI types

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Taken from another forum:

Romance style and MBTI types
http://***************.com/sex-relationships/36485-romance-style-mbti-types.html

Curious how many people think that these analyses are accurate for them when it comes to romancing and being romanced:

Romance style - the Agressor
MBTI types - ISFP, ESFP, ESTP, ISTP
Aggressor sees attraction to another person as a static state, which he feels it is up to him to change in the direction more in agreement to his preference. This accounts for an Aggressor's inclination to take the initiative in approaching the object of his interest and being "relentless" in his pursuit, as well as, even during an established relationship, continuing to try to "shake things up" or "get things moving". If his partner is not receptive to such behavior, this discourages the Aggressor, and results in his interest cooling off.
- no doubts about own interest in another person
- not prone to hesitation about whether or not to reveal that interest
- focus is more on own interest than whether or not the other person might reciprocate
- may desire to feel some "superiority" over the partner, but ultimately wishes for a partner that is able to largely "keep up"
- little inclination to externally admit not having been the one to end a relationship, unless if adopting a "who cares" front simultaneously

Romance style - the Caregiver
MBTI types - ESTJ, ISTJ, ESFJ, ISFJ
This romance style is defined by perceptions of the present reality and physical sensations rather than inner imagery. The Caregiver sees attraction between two individuals as a dynamic state, which he feels is completely natural, as he also sees the physical comfort and well-being of another person as dynamic. This accounts for a Caregiver's inclination to focus on the mutual attraction, or particularly the attraction felt by the other person, as connected to that person's physical well-being. The individual's own dynamic and introverted perceptions lead to a sense of sleepy drifting in them, which makes him welcome impulses from another person designed to shake him out of it from time to time.
- attraction is naturally sparked by the perceived aesthetic attributes of the prospective partner, but cooled off if such attributes are accompanied by a perception of "too aggressive" sexuality
- inclination towards tenderness rather than agressive approach
- prone to adopt maternal approach to the physical comfort and needs of partner
- interest is further maintained if partner welcomes this approach
- prone to assume that partner will need help in practical, daily matters
- neutral as to who ended a relationship, "power" is not seen as important in such matters

Romance style - the Victim
MBTI types - INTJ, ENTJ, ENFJ, INFJ
This romance style is defined by focus on perceptions of inner imagery away from the present physical reality. The Victim sees attraction between two individuals as a dynamic state. This accounts for a Victim's inclination to focus on the mutual attraction, or particularly the attraction felt by the other person, as to its longer-term perspectives and implications, as well as a certain expectation that the partner will continuously take action to confirm the attraction. Failure on the partner to do so results on the individual assuming that it's already changing. The individual counts on the partner to forcefully bring the individual "down to earth from his thoughts " and focus on the immediate physical reality, continuously.
- prone to initial doubts about intensity of own interest in another person
- not always confident about revealing that interest
- inclined to focus on whether or not the other person might reciprocate the interest
- inclined to question whether or not the other person's interest will remain constant with time
- preference for partners that provoke in the individual a certain sense of awe in terms of power, physical presence, and the like
- appreciation for the sense of power-play present when interacting with such partners, with acceptance of a slight sense of superiority on the part of the partner, without ever actually "submitting" to them
- inclination to openly admit to a relationship having been ended by the partner rather than by the individual himself

Romance style - the Child
MBTI types - INFP, INTP, ENFP, ENTP
This romance style is defined by focus perceptions of possibilities and alternatives to the static present reality, which the individual perceives as intrinsically boring and stagnant. This means that the Child sees attraction between two individuals as a static state, also from the point of view of the other person, which he tries to "get moving" by actively thinking of variations of the present static state. This accounts for an Child's inclination to focus on the mutual attraction, or particularly the attraction felt by the other person, as connected to that person's being exposed to the unexpected, imaginative, fun, even "weird" side of life, reality, and each other, a behavior that can be described as "childlike". This focus leads to a sort of helplessness regarding his own physical well being as perceived by , so he welcomes help from others in that area.
- interest is sparked in partner with positive aesthetic attributes divorced from active, "aggressive" sexuality
- tend to try to attract partner's interest with joking, goofy or even "strange" behavior
- try to help partner see the unexpected and fun side of things
- interest is maintained or cools off according to partner's response to this behavior
- appreciation for partner who actively cares about the individual's comfort and daily needs
- neutral with regard to externally admitting who took the initiative in ending a relationship, "power" is seen as unimportant in such matters

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
Not a fan of the titles but the general ideas seem good.

I don't want to be any of these or be romanced by any of these.

Hell "the aggressor"? Really?

Yeah I am not a fan of this. I mean, the titles itself is really off putting. This seems to be stereotyping the bad potential aspects of a group of types. For one, you're also putting INFJ's and ENTJ's in the same group. As well as putting INFP's and ENTP's in the same group. Those two types are very different when it come to romantic behaviors and romantic interests. I mean, some of these bullet points are just plain wrong as well.

Yeah I am not a fan of this. I mean, the titles itself is really off putting. This seems to be stereotyping the bad potential aspects of a group of types. For one, you're also putting INFJ's and ENTJ's in the same group. As well as putting INFP's and ENTP's in the same group. Those two types are very different when it come to romantic behaviors and romantic interests. I mean, some of these bullet points are just plain wrong as well.

[MENTION=387]IndigoSensor[/MENTION]

So, do you think the principle still holds however that each type has a unique romantic style, or do you we think we are far too diverse in our habits or behaviors to generalize?

They sound like horror movie titles.
With even more horrific descriptions. :m077:

Its pretty obvious on what this is trying to say, opposite personalities attract... :m145:
Not in a million years.

Last edited:
It feels like the person who created the descriptions was an SJ...:m197:

Don't like the titles, not overly fond of the descriptions. Might be a bit true, though a bit stereotypical.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I'm not bothered by the titles. They're a rather amusing, anachronistic cross reminiscent of Freud and Adler. As clinical definitions, I suppose these descriptions might have some merit, although I suspect that most people's romantic styles probably overlap a number of these categories.

Unless I'm mistaken, this article also seems to be heavily based upon the socionic model of MBTI.

I'm personally a nice blend of victim and child, with a smatterings of aggressor (no doubts about being interested, partner keeping up, etc.)

I'm not bothered by the titles. They're a rather amusing, anachronistic cross reminiscent of Freud and Adler. As clinical definitions, I suppose these descriptions might have some merit, although I suspect that most people's romantic styles probably overlap a number of these categories.

yeah i'd agree with this and i think its a great example of mbti's limitations in terms of describing a personality and its tendencies in any given situation. any given mbti can grow and develop in any given number of ways, some being more likely than others but thats why as stated above different types can and probably do dip into a few of these categories. without enneagram as the second half to this whole, (or the nuture to this nature if you like) predictions like this are pointless beyond anything more than loose generalizations at best.

FWIW, I identify most with the Child style, though it's only mildly accurate (as opposed to just plain wrong).

I don't like this at all. I only read the one on INFJ and found it to be totally false. It read like a load of crap...focusing on negative instead of being neutral or presenting positive to go along with the negative.

I am a childlike victim who likes to take care of agressive men...
No wait, that didn't make any sense....

preference for partners that provoke in the individual a certain sense of awe in terms of power, physical presence, and the like
*laughs*

Okay, short answer, doesn't really fit but found the information interesting.

Romance style - the Child
MBTI types - INFP, INTP, ENFP, ENTP
This romance style is defined by focus perceptions of possibilities and alternatives to the static present reality, which the individual perceives as intrinsically boring and stagnant. This means that the Child sees attraction between two individuals as a static state, also from the point of view of the other person, which he tries to "get moving" by actively thinking of variations of the present static state. This accounts for an Child's inclination to focus on the mutual attraction, or particularly the attraction felt by the other person, as connected to that person's being exposed to the unexpected, imaginative, fun, even "weird" side of life, reality, and each other, a behavior that can be described as "childlike". This focus leads to a sort of helplessness regarding his own physical well being as perceived by , so he welcomes help from others in that area.
- interest is sparked in partner with positive aesthetic attributes divorced from active, "aggressive" sexuality
- tend to try to attract partner's interest with joking, goofy or even "strange" behavior
- try to help partner see the unexpected and fun side of things
- interest is maintained or cools off according to partner's response to this behavior
- appreciation for partner who actively cares about the individual's comfort and daily needs
- neutral with regard to externally admitting who took the initiative in ending a relationship, "power" is seen as unimportant in such matters
wow.. I actually agree. This is how I do. My boyfriend is either an INFP, ENFP or an ENTP.. (hard to tell) and this sounds like him as well..

Last edited:
Before I was with Dove we were friends for a long time. She had a boyfriend at the time but he completely ignored her. Now I knew I was falling in love but I refused to tell her my feelings about this because telling someone their romantic partner is a dick never goes well for either party. Instead I just waited, tearing myself up about it.

Yeah, I'm such an aggressor.

this description really does remind me somewhat of me.

It describes me well, but I am disinclined to say that it would work for ENTJ's. I am willing to bet very few would match that sort of descripton. This whole list is too inclusive of types that don't belong in the same grouping.

For one, relationships (in my opinion) have a stronger factor with the judging functions. This list is grouping by the perceving functions.

I agree with the statement regarding INTP's, ENTP's, INFP's and INTP's.

However I did not appreciate how they stated our opposite personalities as the 'Caregivers',
I found that it was implying that we are best fitted with them. I found it some what insulting that we were referred to as children in the title.
I'm a grown ass woman!

So in order to be matched up with our 'N' counter parts when need to become aggressive children? :m075:
angry+aspergers+child.jpg

Yeah...

whether good or bad, i connect more with the victim style than the child.