River turns red. Should we protest? | INFJ Forum

River turns red. Should we protest?

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
World
Putin declares a state of emergency after 20,000 tons of diesel oil leak into Arctic river due to climate change
Roland Oliphant
The TelegraphJune 4, 2020, 2:50 PM EDT

4231d4b6b87dd1e0e30349f5906ccd91

Emergency workers have been sent to the site of the oil spill - Marine Rescue Service press service/HANDOUT/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Vladimir Putin declared a state of emergency after more than 20,000 tons of diesel fuel spilled into a river in the Russian Arctic.

Several miles of the Ambarnaya river were turned red after a fuel tank at a power plant in Norilsk, an industrial city in northern Siberia, collapsed on Friday.

Mr Putin berated regional officials for their slow response in a Zoom call broadcast on state television on Wednesday.

"Why did government agencies only find out about this two days after the fact?" he asked Sergei Lipin, the head of the subsidiary that runs the plant.

"Are we going to learn about emergency situations from social media?"

Yevgenny Zinichev, the head of the Emergencies Ministry and and Alexander Uss, the governor of Krasnoyarsk Krai said that they only learnt about the spill on May 31, two days after it occurred and established a true picture of the situation "only after information on social media."

Mr Uss said officials were considering burning the oil off, but that there was no precedent for attempting to do so on such a large scale and it was not clear if it would succeed.

The power plant is a subsidiary of Norilsk Nickel, the world's largest producer of nickel and palladium.

The company said in a statement that no one had been hurt by the accident and that it had deployed emergency teams to clean up the spill.

It said the spill appeared to have been caused by "a sudden sinking of supporting posts in the basement of the storage tank" and that it was reviewing the threat of melting permafrost at other storage facilities.

Russia's investigative committee, its rough equivalent of the FBI, has opened a criminal investigation. The head of the power plant has been taken into custody but has not been charged.

NEWS....hello. Our world is being destroyed. Anyone offering to help with the cleanup?

Reactions: Peppermint
I see Dawn commercials washing ducklings. I see death. I see destruction. I see most everyone looking the other way.

I see disruption. I see goats running off a cliff into the sea. Question stands.

9d32c069e523ae7d30c9b6320a681c75

I fail to see one person in this picture.

9d32c069e523ae7d30c9b6320a681c75

I fail to see one person in this picture.
Scale? To me this looks like it was taken from 10K feet. You would not see people from this height. No one would be on the water in a boat in that condition, and if you look further down the river there seems to be something blocking the oil to contain it for cleanup.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pissed about any freaking man made problems our earth encounters.
I worked coding oil spill dispursement models for a chemical engineering firm for too many years. A river spill is the best case scenario. No tides, no waves.

Judging from the ripples, I'd guess hundreds of feet above. Can you explain to me the mass of 20,000 tons of diesel fuel?

m = × V

Judging from the ripples, I'd guess hundreds of feet above. Can you explain to me the mass of 20,000 tons of diesel fuel?
It's far higher than that. Look at the background buildings and trees. We're UP there. The patterns in the dirt off to the left toward the front are tracks left by vehicles. We're way UP there.

How to Find the Mass of a Liquid

•••

RELATED
How to Calculate Mass From Density

Updated April 24, 2018
By Chris Deziel

The easiest way to find the mass of anything is to weigh it. You're actually measuring the force of gravity on the object, and technically, you should divide the weight by the acceleration due to gravity to get the mass. For most applications, though, weight and mass are essentially equivalent. Now suppose you don't have a scale. Can you still find the mass of a particular liquid? Yes, if you know what the liquid is, you can find its mass by measuring its volume and looking up its density. If you don't know what the liquid is, you can find its density by measuring its specific gravity with a hydrometer.

TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)
Since density = mass/volume, you can find the mass of a specific amount of a liquid if you know its density. You can look up the densities of known liquids in a table. If you have a mystery liquid, you can measure its density with a hydrometer.

Weighing a Liquid
You can place a solid object directly on a scale, but a liquid always has to be in a container, and the container has weight. If you have a certain volume of a liquid in a beaker and you want its mass/weight, you must first find the weight of the empty beaker. You could weigh the liquid, pour it out of the beaker, and then weigh the beaker and subtract its weight from the weight of the beaker-plus-liquid. This method is inaccurate, though, because some liquid would remain in the container. A more accurate method is to place the beaker on the scale, record the weight and then pour in the liquid and record the new weight.

Most scales have a tare setting, and when you press it, it zeros the scale. This feature makes it easy to weigh a liquid. If you have a tare button on your scale, put the empty container on the scale and press tare. When the scale displays zero, pour in the liquid. The new reading is the weight of the liquid.

VIDEO OF THE DAY

Calculating Mass From Density
Every liquid has a characteristic density (D), which is defined as the ratio of its mass (m) to its volume (v). Mathematically: D = m/v. If you know what liquid you have, you can look up its density in a table. Once you know that, all you have to do to find the mass of the liquid is to measure its volume. Once you know density and volume, calculate mass using this relationship: mass = density • volume.

Density is often given in units of kilograms/meter3. When you're measuring small quantities, it's more convenient to use grams and cubic centimeters, so the following conversion is useful:

1 kg/m3 = 0.001 g/cm3; 1 g/cm3 = 1,000 kg/m3.

Example
What is the mass of 2 liters of acetone?

Looking up the density of acetone in a table, you find it to be 784.6 kg/m3. Before making the calculation, convert the volume of liquid you have on hand to cubic meters using the conversion 1 liter = 0.001 cubic meters. Now you have all the information you need:

2 liters of acetone weighs (784.6 kg/m3) • (0.002 m3) = 1.57 kilograms = 1570 grams.

Finding Density Using a Hydrometer
The specific gravity of a material is a dimensionless unit you obtain by dividing the density of the material by that of pure water at 4 degrees Celsius. If you have a mystery liquid, you can find its mass by measuring its specific gravity with a hydrometer. This is a glass tube with a bubble on the bottom. You fill the bubble with the liquid and place it in water. Depending on its density, the hydrometer bubble will sink far below the surface of the water or float close to the surface. You can read specific gravity, usually in gm/cm3, from the scale on the side of hydrometer. It's the mark that just touches the surface of the water.

Once you know specific gravity, you also know density, because you just multiply specific gravity by the density of water, which is 1 gm/cm3, to get density. You can then find the mass of a specific volume of the liquid by multiplying its density by the volume of the liquid you have.

References
About the Author

CITE THIS ARTICLE
Did you find this page helpful?
Related Articles

Find Your Next Great Science Fair Project! GO

How to Calculate Mass From Density

•••

RELATED
How to Find the Mass of a Liquid

Updated July 22, 2019
By Chris Deziel
You calculate the density of a solid object, a liquid or a gas by measuring its volume, weighing it to determine its mass and using the formula density () = mass (m) ÷ volume (V). It's an easy mathematical operation to rearrange this equation so you can calculate mass from density:

m = × V

Why would you want to do this? Mass should be easy to determine – all you have to do is get out your scale and do some weighing, right? Actually, you can't always do this, especially when you're dealing with a liquid or a very heavy solid that's too big for your scale. Because the densities of most solids and liquids are tabulated, you can look up the density of the substance in question. As long as you're able to measure the volume occupied by the substance, which is easy if it's in a container, you'll know its mass.

How to Find Density
Density is a fixed quantity, and because it never changes, it can be a proportionality factor between mass and volume for any given substance. In other words, as the volume increases, so does the mass. If you plotted increasing values of volume against the corresponding mass increases on a graph, you'd get a straight line with slope equal to the density of the substance.

You usually don't need to go to the trouble of plotting a graph, though. As long as you know the composition of a solid, you can look up the density in a table. If you have a liquid, you'll want to look up its specific gravity, which is the density compared to the density of water. For example, the specific gravity of ethyl alcohol is 0.787. Since the density of water is 1 g/ml, that means that the density of alcohol is 0.787 g/ml.

If you have a solution of unknown composition, you can't look up its specific gravity, but you can measure it. The tool for doing this is called a hygrometer. You let it float in the liquid and read the specific gravity from the graduated mark that just touches the surface.

Density to Mass Conversion
Density is measured in a variety of units, including grams/milliliter, kilograms/cubic meter and pounds/cubic foot. When you look up the density, make sure its expressed in the units you are using to measure volume, or you'll get an inaccurate value for mass. Here are some common conversion factors

1 kg/m3 = 0.001 g/ml = 0.062 lb/ft3.

If you use corresponding units for density and volume, you can calculate the mass from density and get it in corresponding units by using the equation m = ∂V. Once you know the mass, you can always convert it to different units if necessary.

Density Formula Examples
1. What is the mass of a 2 ml vial of carbon tetrachloride?

The specific gravity of carbon tetrachloride is 1.589. Since the volume of the sample is measured in milliliters, divide the specific gravity by the density of water in g/ml to get the density in those units. Doing this, you find the density to be 1.598 g/ml. Now it's easy to use the density to mass conversion equation to find the mass:

m = × V = 1.589 g/ml × 2 ml = 3.178 grams.

2. How do you find the mass of a large gold statue without weighing it?

First, measure the volume, in liters, using the water displacement method. Next, look up the density of gold, which is 19,320 kg/m3. To convert to grams per liter, you simply need to multiply by 1, so the density is 19,320 g/l. Now you can calculate the mass from the density using the formula m = ∂V and obtain the answer in grams.

science.com

Reactions: BingBangBoomHoho
Think about it.

Why is the math behind the oil important to you at this point?
We put years into developing the computer models, there's far more to it than just the oil and it's properties. We must consider the river, width, depths, temperature, speeds, the environment temperature, humidity, wind, rain... it's mind boggling.

This is why the C.E.s keep reworking their models, there is so much to determine.

All I'm saying is that this tragedy could have been far, far worse. Let's hope they get the proper cleanup equipment in there before conditions change. Pics I've found so far don't indicate they've got enough.

Last edited:
How does mankind clean up this kind of mess?

Lots of elbow... uh... grease? No...
Lots of hard, hard work.

There is also an enzyme they could bring in to help trap/eat the oil but I'm not sure what it will do to the environment in return.

Side rant:

Oil sucks.
Coal mining sucks.
Damming up rivers sucks.

Wind? okay... I'm on board
Solar? Yes please, let's just make the materials locally and recycle them as they get old.

I had started a project years back that I still have in the base design mode as I got stuck looking through too many/not enough models for environmental impact. I had wanted to create a site to help people become more environmentally aware of their decisions while making it fun. I squashed that project as it turns out people just don't care.

Who the heck is Phil?

Lots of elbow... uh... grease? No...
Lots of hard, hard work.

There is also an enzyme they could bring in to help trap/eat the oil but I'm not sure what it will do to the environment in return.

Side rant:

Oil sucks.
Coal mining sucks.
Damming up rivers sucks.

Wind? okay... I'm on board
Solar? Yes please, let's just make the materials locally and recycle them as they get old.

I had started a project years back that I still have in the base design mode as I got stuck looking through too many/not enough models for environmental impact. I had wanted to create a site to help people become more environmentally aware of their decisions while making it fun. I squashed that project as it turns out people just don't care.
Some of us care. I'm o-c at recycling, putting plastic bread tags in a paper cup until I can put them in a bag so they're not lost in the transfer, lol, shameless I know, ;)

Implementation of a successful model is great, getting others to follow directions is the difficult part.

My question is, after researching extensively, why does the majority of 'clean energy' still take fosil fuel to power them?

Can't we design something that stands completely on it's own?