Reverence for the Lakota and other Native Peoples | INFJ Forum

Reverence for the Lakota and other Native Peoples

AJ_

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2012
MBTI
_
It’s often said that the winners write the history. Over the course of time, it seems that the winners have written the history and have often attempted to indoctrinate the losers into belief systems of control. Over time, it’s probably expected that the marginalized losers, especially those who are peace loving and withdraw from the drama of war, will have their histories completely erased and forgotten.

I wanted to start a thread out of reverence for the native peoples who have been marginalized throughout history. In moments of stillness, I hope to remember their messages of love for Mother Earth, Great Spirit, and each other.

It would be great if you could share any stories, legends or quotes from those who would otherwise be forgotten. The great military powers may have written the history books, and their names and monuments may be remembered for a time, but the messages and teachings of the “forgotten”, the messages about living in harmony with nature and each other, are eternal truths.

For now, here are 10 quotes from the great Lakota Sioux Chief known as Standing Bear dealing with etiquette and right action:

1) Praise, flattery, exaggerated manners and fine, high-sounding words were no part of Lakota politeness. Excessive manners were put down as insincere, and the constant talker was considered rude and thoughtless. Conversation was never begun at once, or in a hurried manner.

2) Children were taught that true politeness was to be defined in actions rather than in words. They were never allowed to pass between the fire and the older person or a visitor, to speak while others were speaking, or to make fun of a crippled or disfigured person. If a child thoughtlessly tried to do so, a parent, in a quiet voice, immediately set him right.

3) Silence was meaningful with the Lakota, and his granting a space of silence before talking was done in the practice of true politeness and regardful of the rule that ‘thought comes before speech.’…and in the midst of sorrow, sickness, death or misfortune of any kind, and in the presence of the notable and great, silence was the mark of respect… strict observance of this tenet of good behavior was the reason, no doubt, for his being given the false characterization by the white man of being a stoic. He has been judged to be dumb, stupid, indifferent, and unfeeling.

4) We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, the winding streams with tangled growth, as ‘wild’. Only to the white man was nature a ‘wilderness’ and only to him was it ‘infested’ with ‘wild’ animals and ‘savage’ people. To us it was tame. Earth was bountiful and we were surrounded with the blessings of the Great Mystery.

5) With all creatures of the earth, sky and water was a real and active principle. In the animal and bird world there existed a brotherly feeling that kept the Lakota safe among them. And so close did some of the Lakotas come to their feathered and furred friends that in true brotherhood they spoke a common tongue.

6) This concept of life and its relations was humanizing and gave to the Lakota an abiding love. It filled his being with the joy and mystery of living; it gave him reverence for all life; it made a place for all things in the scheme of existence with equal importance to all.

7) It was good for the skin to touch the earth, and the old people liked to remove their moccasins and walk with bare feet on the sacred earth… the old Indian still sits upon the earth instead of propping himself up and away from its life giving forces. For him, to sit or lie upon the ground is to be able to think more deeply and to feel more keenly. He can see more clearly into the mysteries of life and come closer in kinship to other lives about him.

8) Everything was possessed of personality, only differing from us in form. Knowledge was inherent in all things. The world was a library and its books were the stones, leaves, grass, brooks, and the birds and animals that shared, alike with us, the storms and blessings of earth. We learned to do what only the student of nature learns, and that was to feel beauty. We never railed at the storms, the furious winds, and the biting frosts and snows. To do so intensified human futility, so whatever came we adjusted ourselves, by more effort and energy if necessary, but without complaint.

9) …the old Lakota was wise. He knew that a man’s heart, away from nature, becomes hard; he knew that lack of respect for growing, living things soon led to lack of respect for humans, too. So he kept his children close to nature’s softening influence.

10) Civilization has been thrust upon me… and it has not added one whit to my love for truth, honesty, and generosity.

Last edited:
"Whenever, the course of a daily hunt, the hunter comes upon a scene that is strikingly beautiful, or sublime; a black thundercloud with the rainbow's glowing arch above the mountain, a white waterfall in the heart of a green gorge, a vast prairie tinged with the bood-red of the sunset; he pauses for an instant in the attitude of worship. He sees no need for setting apart one day in seven as a holy day, because to him all the days are God's days."
-Ohiyesa (Santee Sioux)

" Taku Shanskan is familiar with my spirit and when I die I will go with him. Then I will be with my forefathers. If this is not in the heaven of the white man I shall be satisfied. He is my father. The Wakan Tanka of the white man has overcome him. But I shall remain true to him.
Shadows are long and dark before me. I shall soon lie down to rise no more. While my spirit is with my body the smoke of my breath shall be towards the Sun for he knows all things and knows that I am still true to him."
-Red Cloud - Makhpiya-Luta Oglala - Sioux Chief (1822-1909)

"The difference between the white man and us is this: You believe in the redeeming powers of suffering, if this suffering was done by somebody else, far away, two thousand years ago. We believe that it is up to every one of us to help each other, even through the pain of our bodies. ...We do not lay this burden onto our God, nor do we want to miss being face to face with the Spirit Power. ...We want no angel or saint to gain it for us and give it to us second-hand."
-John Fire Lame Deer

Grandfather,
Look at our brokenness,
We know that in all creation
Only the human family
Has strayed from the sacred way.
We know that we are the ones
Who divided
And we are the ones
Who must come back together
To walk in the sacred way.
Grandfather, Sacred One,
Teach us love, compassion, honor
That we may heal the earth
And heal each other.
-Ojibway prayer

" Let him [the white man] be just and deal kindly with my people,for the dead are not powerless. Dead, did I say? There is no death, only a change of worlds."
-Chief Seattle

Now the Mother Earth
And the Father Sky
Meeting, joining one another,
Helpmates ever, they.
-Navajo prayer

" Indian gravestones are not made to last. Often they are made of wood, but they reflect our nature and our beliefs. Only the mountains and the stars last forever."
-Lame Deer, Minneconjou Lakota

"Some of our chiefs make the claim that the land belongs to us. It is not what the Great Spirit told me. He told me that the lands belong to Him, that no people owns the land; that I was not to forget to tell this to the white people when I met them in council."
-Kanekuk (Kickapoo prophet)

"No tribe has the right to sell....Sell a country! Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth? Didn't the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his children?"
-Tecumseh (Shawnee visionary)

Listen or your tongue will keep you deaf.
-Native American Proverb

We give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
-Sacred ritual chant

The Great Spirit does right. He knows what is best for his children. We are satisfied.
Brother, we do not wish to destroy your religion, or to take it from you. We only want to enjoy our own.
-Chief Red Jacket, 1805

All native american tribes went to war with other tribes when deemed necessary. In the end Native Americans are and were human. No different than anything you see in todays society.

All native american tribes went to war with other tribes when deemed necessary. In the end Native Americans are and were human. No different than anything you see in todays society.

I once read this book....i can't remember the name of it annoyingly and it made the case...and a very good case that in europe at that time people were living in squalid over crowded cities full of open sewers, rats, poverty and dung and that europe was constantly riven with war due to its fuedalistic social system

The europeans did however have some pretty nasty war making technology because we had got hold of gun powder from the chinese so we had become expert at killing people and we also had a gold hunger that made us sick in the head and the heart

In the americas however everyone was housed and fed so they were arguably more socially advanced than us

The more technologically advanced europeans however didn't value social stability half as much as they valued gold and wealth though so they slaughtered the inhabitants of the americas

I'm not trying to make a case that the natives of the americas were some sort of utopian people but a case can be made that they were living in a more sustainable way with their environment and had a respect for nature that was lacking in europe at that time

This different approach imo came from their spiritual approach which contrasted with the top down hierarchical literalist christian religion which dictated to people rules and laws via its priest caste

The natives of the amercias however had a more fluid approach where they listened to their dreams and developed a relationship with their unconscious mind thereby attaining greater balance between the conscious and unconscious mind through which they saw themselves as a part of their environment rather than at odds with it

The europeans however repressed the existance of the unconscious mind and labelled anything not sanctioned by the church as 'the devils work'

The difference between these two approaches was summed up by chief seattle who said:

''Your religion was written on tables of stone by the iron finger of an angry God, lest you might forget it. The red man could never remember nor comprehend it.

Our religion is the traditions of our ancestors, the dreams of our old men, given them by the great Spirit, and the visions of our sachems, and is written in the hearts of our people.''

The literalist christian world view has eschewed religious experience in favour of religious dogma and this has created a sick society that destroys itself and its environment

''Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.''-Chief Seattle

When all the trees have been cut down,
when all the animals have been hunted,
when all the waters are polluted,
when all the air is unsafe to breathe,
only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~

I like Brule'. They are trying to bring the Lakota message out to the younger generation. In one of their songs they sing about it being so frustrating and debilitating to exist in the world. They go on to say Grandfather says "keep going". I love the Lakota teachings on the way of life. Being in harmony with the land is taught by all indigenous peoples around the world. It will be the salvation of humanity if we can remember.

[video=youtube;RRr_QyJ_cyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=RRr_QyJ_cyU[/video]

http://howtoexitthematrix.com/2015/05/07/lakota-brule-the-star-people-a-message-for-all-of-humanity/

For you [MENTION=5807]AJ_[/MENTION]

[video=youtube;ovSNx_-uqiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovSNx_-uqiw[/video]

The Lakota must be influencing the collective because of all things Graham Hancock posted this in his facebook feed today. I have never seen him do this before and I've been on his facebook page for years. What an odd coincidence....

While the name is said to be a Lullaby - my impressions are this song is really saying to the baby... "We will rise again and dance with the Earth". It's a fantastic native song. In the beginning I sat with my eyes closed to receive impression from it and I saw wolf eyes flash into my minds eye. Then it morphed into the people....they kept calling themselves The People. At that point I felt like dancing and it turned into a joyous emotional feeling of connection with the great mother. I hope you enjoy.
[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION] [MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]

[video=youtube;lwvyM-uRvqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwvyM-uRvqc[/video]

Thank you for sharing, Kgal. Although it may sound strange at first, your post about this synchronicity just made me think about the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio. Nature tends to take A and B to get C, then will add the previous B to make something new - and so on. My hope and thought is that many people are ready to add B back to our consciousness to make something new and better. The B is what we for so long ignored from those in touch with the earth. The choice of losing contact and reverence for the earth, the plants, animals and each other would surely lead to a future of desolation. The return to earth, on the other hand - the feeling of soil on our hands and the rain on our faces, the wonder of just looking at the clouds or the bees crawling on a flower - this will lead to a brighter and more wholesome future for us and those that come after us. That is my opinion :)

[video=youtube_share;RKdrI9MZXHQ]http://youtu.be/RKdrI9MZXHQ[/video]

The Lakota must be influencing the collective because of all things Graham Hancock posted this in his facebook feed today. I have never seen him do this before and I've been on his facebook page for years. What an odd coincidence....

While the name is said to be a Lullaby - my impressions are this song is really saying to the baby... "We will rise again and dance with the Earth". It's a fantastic native song. In the beginning I sat with my eyes closed to receive impression from it and I saw wolf eyes flash into my minds eye. Then it morphed into the people....they kept calling themselves The People. At that point I felt like dancing and it turned into a joyous emotional feeling of connection with the great mother. I hope you enjoy.
@muir @Skarekrow

[video=youtube;lwvyM-uRvqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwvyM-uRvqc[/video]

Those guys were working with some powerful medicine hey? lol

That was awesome

Reactions: Kgal
“These things will destroy the human race: politics without principle, progress without compassion, wealth without work, learning without silence, religion without fearlessness, and worship without awareness.”
Anthony de Mello

''We all flow from one fountain Soul. All are expressions of one Love. God does not appear, and flow out, only from narrow chinks and round bored wells here and there in favored races and places, but He flows in grand undivided currents, shoreless and boundless over creeds and forms and all kinds of civilizations and peoples and beasts, saturating all and fountainizing all''

-John Muir, June 9, 1872 letter to Miss Catharine Merrill, from Yosemite Valley

''Everything is flowing -- going somewhere, animals and so-called lifeless rocks as well as water. Thus the snow flows fast or slow in grand beauty-making glaciers and avalanches; the air in majestic floods carrying minerals, plant leaves, seeds, spores, with streams of music and fragrance; water streams carrying rocks... While the stars go streaming through space pulsed on and on forever like blood...in
Nature's warm heart.''

-John Muir My First Summer in the Sierra (1911)

Last edited:
''Dare to be honest and fear no labour''- Robert Burns

To A Mouse (upon accidentally turning over its nest with a plough)- Robert Burns

(Translation from Scots into English below)
Wee, sleekit, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murd'ring pattle!​
I'm truly sorry Man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
An' fellow-mortal!​
I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen-icker in a thrave 'S a sma' request:
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't!​
Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!
An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
O' foggage green!
An' bleak December's winds ensuin,
Baith snell an' keen!​
Thou saw the fields laid bare an' wast,
An' weary Winter comin fast,
An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
Thou thought to dwell,
Till crash! the cruel coulter past
Out thro' thy cell.​
That wee-bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,
Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
Now thou's turn'd out, for a' thy trouble,
But house or hald.
To thole the Winter's sleety dribble,
An' cranreuch cauld!​
But Mousie, thou are no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!​
Still, thou art blest, compar'd wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!

English translation

Small, crafty, cowering, timorous little beast,
O, what a panic is in your little breast!
You need not start away so hasty
With argumentative chatter!
I would be loath to run and chase you,
With murdering plough-staff.
I'm truly sorry man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
And justifies that ill opinion
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, earth born companion
And fellow mortal!
I doubt not, sometimes, but you may steal;
What then? Poor little beast, you must live!
An odd ear in twenty-four sheaves
Is a small request;
I will get a blessing with what is left,
And never miss it.
Your small house, too, in ruin!
Its feeble walls the winds are scattering!
And nothing now, to build a new one,
Of coarse grass green!
And bleak December's winds coming,
Both bitter and piercing!
You saw the fields laid bare and wasted,
And weary winter coming fast,
And cozy here, beneath the blast,
You thought to dwell,
Till crash! the cruel plough passed
Out through your cell.
That small bit heap of leaves and stubble,
Has cost you many a weary nibble!
Now you are turned out, for all your trouble,
Without house or holding,
To endure the winter's sleety dribble,
And hoar-frost cold.
But little Mouse, you are not alone,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes of mice and men
Go often askew,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!
Still you are blessed, compared with me!
The present only touches you:
But oh! I backward cast my eye,
On prospects dreary!
And forward, though I cannot see,
I guess and fear!

Last edited:
A translation into english of a poem written in gaelic by Donald after seeing his uncle’s grief on returning after 40 years away to the place of his birth, Carnish on the western isles, to find the place deserted. His uncle Domhnall Ban wept and said: ’Chaneil nith an seo a bha e, ach an ataireachd na mara’- ‘There is nothing here now as it was, except for the surge of the sea’

An Ataireachd Ard- Donald MacIver

The eternal surge of the sea
Listen to the roar of the mighty surge.
The thundering of the ocean is
As i heard it in my childhood,
Without cease, without pity’
Washing over the sands of the shore.
The eternal surge of the sea’
Listen to the roar of the mighty surge.

In the woods of the west,
I would not want to wait forever.
My mind and my longing
Were ever in the little hollow by the cove.
But those who were gracious
In action, in friendship and in laughter
Are scattered without protection
Like a flock of birds before an enemy...

Last edited:
Shores

If we were in Talisker on the shore
where the great white mouth
opens between two hard jaws,
Rubha nan Clach and the Bioda Ruadh,
I would stand beside the sea
renewing love in my spirit
while the ocean was filling
Talisker bay forever:
I would stand there on the bareness of the shore
until Prishal bowed his stallion head.

And if we were together
on Calgary shore in Mull,
between Scotland and Tiree,
between the world and eternity,
I would stay there till doom
measuring sand, grain by grain,
and in Uist, on the shore of Homhsta
in presence of that wide solitude,
I would wait there forever
for the sea draining drop by drop.

And if I were on the shore of Moidart
with you, for whom my care is new,
I would put up in a synthesis of love for you
the ocean and the sand, drop and grain.
And if we were on Mol Stenscholl Staffin
when the unhappy surging sea dragged
the boulders and threw them over us,
I would build the rampart wall
against an alien eternity grinding (its teeth).

'Poems to Eimhir', XLII
translated by Sorley MacLean

Last edited:
[h=2]A Song of Homeland

(translated from gealic) by Duncan Ban MacIntyre[/h]
Horinn o ho irir io,
Horinn o ho irir io,
Horinn o hiri uo,
'tis my homeland I deserted.

Though we have been settled
with Lowlanders for a season,
'tis my country I think of,
nor would I wish to disown it.
Horinn o ho irir io, &c.

Though we must be resigned
to everything that befalls us,
yet to visit the Brae
would be better than the lowlands.

Smooth though the streets be
'twere better far to be at shieling,
in the forest of the high bens
and of cosy pastures.

For some time harsh English
has assailed our ears daily:
'twas our natural bias,
from our sires, to speak Gaelic.

Though the Lowlands are famous
for trading and fashion,
our earnest wish is to go home,
and be close to our friends;

to be in Kirkton of Dysart,
seeing our kinsfolk:
this land would delight us,
for 'tis it that has bred us.

'Twas not the way of those people
to be at strife or at variance,
but to take pleasure in life
and to be loving like brethren.

What time we sat in the inn,
enjoying ditties and music,
our songs would be tuneful
and frequent our drinking of toasts.

They were the men to climb crags,
bearing their dark-blue guns,
men who would fire the powder
against a veteran stag.

'Twas the desire of the lads
to fare forth with the rods,
to fix reins on the salmon:
'twas not usual for him to escape them.

For hunting the mountain,
or for fishing a current,
for every task demanding manliness
great is the Gaels' distinction.

Ravenscraig- Runrig

Word came like a hammer
Night fell down like a shroud
And it's caught me drinking
Trying to turn back the clock
Through this industrial ghost town

I've known graft and I've voted well
Trying to keep the Lowlands red
But all I gets control in foreign hands
Other colors instead

All I want is a roof over my head
All I want is a steady job
All I want to do is say I love you
With every penny I've got

And all I think about are Debbie and Jane
To give them some kind of chance in life
But the long road running out the strip mill gate
Has got me walking that line

We never stretched our dancehall dreams
We got it just about right
There's little escape from a working town
And from a working life

I placed my future in the palm of your hand
One autumn Friday at the Church of All Saints
There's no investment here in life or in love
And now it's getting too late

All I want is a roof over my head
All I want is a steady job
All I want to do is say I love you
With every penny I've got

And all I think about are Debbie and Jane
To give them some kind of chance in life
But the long road running out the strip mill gate

<span>[video=youtube;UMBEIoIIQnU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMBEIoIIQnU[/video]

http://www.thefumesofmars.com/Web p...The Gaelic Highlanders & The Red Indians.html

The Gaelic Highlanders and the Red Indians

The Gaelic Highlanders & The Red Indians

Tgospel1inverta.png
hey were routinely described as wild, savage, barbarous, primitive, lawless, warlike, treacherous, vengeful, lazy, dirty, poor, superstitious, and always in need of instruction and improvement.

They were the tribal peoples who inherited the northern frontiers of Great Britain and the Western. They had more in common than the derogatory terms applied to them.

Some authors identify "a mutual respect and deep affinity" between Highlanders and Indians "based on a parallel warrior traditions, a clan-based social structure, and above all a profound independence

of spirit."
Red%20Book%201%20%2855%29%202.jpg
According to an account from " a gentleman lately arrived from New York, published in the Scots Magazine and repeated elsewhere when the Black Watch Regiment arrived in America at the start of the Seven Years War, Indians reputedly "flocked from all quarters" to see them, "and from resemblance in the manner of their dress, and the great similitude of their language, the Indians concluded they were anciently one and the same people, and most cordially received then as brethren."

John Campbell, Earl of Loudon and commander in chief of the British forces in North America, said the Black Watch were more than likely than any other troops to get on with the Indians because " the Indians have an Opinion, that they, the Black Watch are a kind of Indian." General John Forbes referred to his Highland troops and his Cherokee allies as "cousins."

Tgospel1b.png
he Cherokee chief Oconostota , or Standing Turkey, was inducted into the Saint Andrews Club of Charles Town , South Carolina, in 1773 and thereby came an honorary Scotsman.
A long way off from how the Yankees saw & treated the Indians And from how the Indians saw the Yankees !​
British Indian agent Alexander Cameron lived with the Cherokee's so long that he had "almost become one of themselves." Countless Scots lived in Indian country, had Indian families, and in effect became Indians.

A poem reputed to be the first Gaelic song composed in North America said "Tha sinne 'n ar nInnseannaich cinnteach gu leoir [ We've turned into Indians, sure enough ], ... the words of the song seem to have been changed in the nineteenth century as Gaels came to see parallels between their own dispossession and that of the Native peoples in America.
Red%20Book%201%20%2855%29%201.jpg

By the nineteenth century, in western Canada, eastern New York, and the mountains of Tennessee and Montana one could hear Cree, Mohawk, Cherokee, and Salish spoken with Gaelic accents. Robert MacDougall : " The slow, soft, pleasant speech," he heard among the Algonquians of Canada was, he thought, "merely a branch of the Gaelic language," and he found words with similar sounds
and meanings : the Algonquian word saganash ( white man ) and the Gaelic term Sassanach(Englishman, Lowlander ) for instance. Some observers even commented that the Indians had a fondness for the bagpipes.
American historians who simply identify Highland Scots as British, or even, in some cases, English, miss significant cultural distinctions and historical experience. In their relationship to the land and to one another, Highland Scots had more in common with the Indians than with the English.

Highlanders and Indians alike inhabited storied landscapes and shared communal land-holding practices. Like Highlanders, Indians people inhabited landscapes that were etched with the experience of generations, held memories of the past, and were alive with spirits of their ancestors. They read the landscape like a historical text. Mythic tales linked to specific places contained teachings that enabled people to live as true human beings. The lands held stories about the interdependence of people, animals, and the natural world.
American Indians and Highland Scots recorded their histories in song and story and shared their worlds with spirits. Birds were messengers of things to come. Omens were to be heeded ; nature's powers could be harnessed and propitiated by rituals.
Colin G Galloway.

Red%20Book%201%20%2855%29%203.jpg
In the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, clan chiefs in the Highlands of Scotland turned their estates over to commercial sheep farming. In what became known as the Highland Clearances, people who had lived in the glens from time immemorial were relocated to crofts on the sea-coasts, to factory towns in the Lowlands, or to emigrant ships bound for America. Sheep were brought in from the south to graze the lands these people vacated, while mutton and wool from the new Highland flocks were shipped south to Industrial England. Indians in the North American fur trade wore woollen blankets made by children in Yorkshire textile mills from the sheep grazing on the lands of the displaces Highlanders, some of whom made careers in the North American fur trade. Lowland Scots who invested in sheep farming in the Highlands and later in cattle ranching on the Great Plains helped eradicate tribal pastoralism on communal land on both sides of the Atlantic. Sheep replaced cattle in the Highlands of Scotland, and cattle replaced buffalo on the Great Plains.

As Highlanders and Indians endured assaults on their land, resources, and cultures and experienced massive economic and social change, colonial divide - and - rule strategies and competing tribal interests undermined tribal struggles for independence. Colonizing powers tried to replace traditional loyalties to clan and tribe with loyalty to the nation.

Lowland Scots, the Scottish ruling classes, and Scottish capital played a greater role than the English colonists in transforming the Highlands.
Highland Scots and American Indians met within larger contexts of cultural collision and colonial encounter that governed their interactions. Having been colonized themselves and "civilized" themselves, Highland Scots sometimes identified and sympathized with Indian people they saw going through the kind of hard experience they or their parents had suffered.

Highland Scots were not unique in the range and nature of their interactions with Indian people but, in the vast colonial encounters that is American history, Highlanders and Indians came together in unusually large numbers and across huge stretches of the continent.

Tgospel1d.png
hey also built new societies together. Highlanders met Indians on the peripheries of empire, and they lived and slept side by side, they created fluid communities held together by shared experiences and interests, children, and ties of kinship rather than an allegiance to the state. For a time, Michael Fry suggests, Highlanders and Indians "an alternative model of American development."
Michael Fry, no misty-eyed romantic when it comes to the Scots role in imperialism, also notes the legendary adaptability of Scots in other cultures :

While in the pages of Rudyard Kipling or John Buchan we can read legends of Scotsmen
who turned themselves into Asian khans or gods on Pacific Islands, in real life there was nothing more striking that this affinity of the Scots and Native Americans. The parallels in their material values, oral culture and social structure do not perhaps fully account for it. Somehow, the generosity and freedom in both peoples made a mutual appeal to them across the racial barrier . . . which they, of course, did not acknowledge.
Colin G Galloway

Last edited:
The Shamans of Peru were given information of the impending visit from Pizarro and the eventual decimation of their culture. So they sent about 2,000 of the people up high in to the mountains to live and survive the conquest of their land by the Spaniards. They maintained the wisdom and rituals of their ancestors by communicating with Pachamamma and the land.

Their reverence for Pachamamma for all of these years helped humanity get to this point of the Shift.

I honor the Shamans.
I honor Pachamamma.
May we all fall in love with Gaia.

...and so it is...
[MENTION=3379]Free Mind[/MENTION] will get to see this when he goes to Peru. :love:

[video=youtube;K9TZRnrMzmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9TZRnrMzmQ[/video]

[MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION] Yep! 2 weeks of exploration around beautiful Peru and the Amazon. Can't wait!

Sandra Ingerman was the first American Shaman I worked with. She learned from many shamanic cultures and speaks specifically of the Shamans of Siberia. I was suprised to learn there are Shamans all over the Earth. :) She lives a simple life in New Mexico and reveres the Great Mother Earth. In our class she taught us the morning song to the Sun. It helps one make the connection between the human being on the planet and the Sun beaming energy to us.

After the class I began that practice and even did it while living in hotels when I worked in New Jersey. I think it helped me keep my sanity and equilibrium while I was working the disaster from Hurricane Sandy.

There are many varieties of little practices we can incorporate into our day to show reverence and respect for this planet and how she allows us to live our lives even while providing Air for us to breathe, Water to quench our thirst, plants to feed us; and Earth beneath our feet to dance upon.

I think she's amazing.... :love:

[video=youtube;01amKO08uWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01amKO08uWE[/video]