Receiving attention as a child. . . | INFJ Forum

Receiving attention as a child. . .

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Inspired by @arbygil 's thread on parent-child relationships via the Enneagram type. http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=15601

Did you receive a lot of attention as a child from your parents or families . . . did it have a positive or negative effect on you?

Reactions: Galileo
I believe I receive a lot of attention, but its more... protective attention, and it goes a bit over the top sometimes, and it does annoy me.. I want to be independant and do my own things, but because it's just me and my mum, she doesn't really allow much....freedom.

Reactions: Gaze
I had a lot of attention as a child and most of it was good attention however I can really relate with [MENTION=3601]TigersGoRAWR[/MENTION] about protective attention, I always felt I had different values than my parents and a stronger yearning for independence than I was given at the time, everyone in my family is Es and they always seemed very co-dependent to me.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I did when I was young and I was happy to recieve the attention, it kept me in a positive frame of mind. So yeah, it was a benefit for me and kept me a happy child.

As i've gotten older though I do not want the attention anymore so I don't get it. xD This happend around the age of 8.

Last edited:
I believe I receive a lot of attention, but its more... protective attention, and it goes a bit over the top sometimes, and it does annoy me.. I want to be independant and do my own things...

That sounds similar to my childhood. Also, I think my parents couldn't quite figure me out.

another great topic [MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION]

I was an only child, and never had many other kids around of my own age to play with, so I definitely think I should have got more attention than I did from my parents. There was also a lot of trouble when I was growing up with domestic violence, and my parents split up and got back together quite a bit.

I don't think though that more attention from them would have made me a better person or anything. They messed me around enough as it is with their drug problems, arguments, manipulation and violence.

I did however get a lot of attention from my grandfather, and for that, I do think I was changed in a good way. He taught me a lot about all kinds of things. practical things and he let me do all the things that he thought a kid should do.
he taught me that there's nothing I can't do if I put my mind to it. I'm glad he taught me that because at home my parents were always telling me that I was different and that I couldn't do this or that, almost treating me like I was some kind of second rate child.

Attention can be positive and negative. I think i sought attention as a child but i was pretty quiet and serious. On the other hand, i was also caudled. I also wasn't allowed to really have time to myself without feeling self conscious or later on, claustrophobic. I'm very protective of myself of my space as a result. But although I received too much attention, it allowed me to value and treasure my freedom and independence. I also learned that i really didn't need the attention, although it was given.

Edit: I should say of course, that all the attention was well intentioned, for the most part.

Last edited:
As per quantity, I think I've got a lot of attention and affection. (got basically three main caretaker in 17 years of my life)

As per quality, I can't be sure.

I didn't receive much attention as a child -

my family was very close and we did everything together - but we were more focused on this or that book, topic, subject, activity, sport, charity, etc.

I loved it, but it probably accounts for my being very impersonal.

Way too much attention. My mother was super smothering. She'd give me attention when I didn't want it both positive and negative. When I was upset and wanted to be alone to cool off she saw it as "sulking" and would kind of hound me until I made up with her. I felt like my every move was constantly being monitored growing up. And if I confided in her about anything it would get broadcast to the whole extended family. More attention that I did not want.

I was an only child but I can't say that my parents were overly attentve. I was happy in my own company and believe they were happy that I was. We were three people sharing the same house and not bothering each other particularly.

Sometimes I got a lot of attention, sometimes I was almost neglected. Sometimes it was good, like the encouragement to read and access to books as well as other things that would engage my development and mind, but sometimes it was bad, like being locked in a closet with no food or water for a weekend, or being beaten to the point of losing consciousness.

In general, my sense is that I got more attention than not, but I didn’t get the attention I needed.

cheers,
Ian

Way too much attention. My mother was super smothering. She'd give me attention when I didn't want it both positive and negative. When I was upset and wanted to be alone to cool off she saw it as "sulking" and would kind of hound me until I made up with her. I felt like my every move was constantly being monitored growing up. And if I confided in her about anything it would get broadcast to the whole extended family. More attention that I did not want.

yeah, the same. i had people constantly asking me if something is wrong or if i'm ok. it gets tiring.

Last edited:
I was the first child so I did get a lot of attention and some smothering. My dad was a bit overbearing but it wasn't too bad. Apart of that came from the fact that I'm his favorite since I'm the only boy out of four kids.

I believe I receive a lot of attention, but its more... protective attention, and it goes a bit over the top sometimes, and it does annoy me.. I want to be independant and do my own things, but because it's just me and my mum, she doesn't really allow much....freedom.

exactly the same and + some more. for more than 5 years the only thing keeping me going was knowing that it was going to end soon

I was abused by my mothers partner both physically and mentally when I was a child, Its sad but he used my hands as ashtrays and put cigarettes out on them, he was a monster and treated me like a thing to be broken, and he succeeded, I use to be terrified of men when I was younger. I would cower for fear of another beating. I guess you could say Ive got abandonment issues, my father left after he split with my mother and despite knowing about the abuse he never came back. My mother young and naive fell in love with a ruff gang type member and didn't know how to provide me with a safe environment to grow up in, eventually she gave custody to my Grandfather who treated me with the love and gentleness, I needed to enjoy my childhood and begin to trust again. I think of the day some years later when I meet my mothers partner again, hardly a monster now, more an old man, he looked into my eyes and all he said was sorry. Ill always remember that day because, without the compassion my grandfather showed me, I don't think, I would have ever accepted that apology.

So its been 23 years, Ive meet my father once, he knows where I am but doesn't take the time or effort to get to know me, hes on my mind more then I care to Admit, this fact will always bother me.

My relationship with my mother is little better, however we do talk and see once every couple of years, I wish her the best but feel like somethings missing perhaps a connection built during ones childhood.

My Grandfather Passed away a few years ago and I consider him to be my real mother and father, and miss him everyday and thank him for everything he gave me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze and aeon
I kinda suspect that my parents did me a disservice by always proclaiming how exceptional I was; haven't quite yet lived up to that. Still, upbringing seems to have left me being less self-obsessed as I perceive most around me to be. (could be wrong, but don't so.)

Inspired by @arbygil 's thread on parent-child relationships via the Enneagram type. http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=15601

Did you receive a lot of attention as a child from your parents or families . . . did it have a positive or negative effect on you?

I did not receive a lot of attention as a child. I used to be bitter about it but now I see I had to experience it to become who I am today. Was it hard? You betcha and painful of course...The teen years into adult is the most painstaking period for those who received little to none attention or was even abandoned. On the negative side; I became extremely rebellious, disrespectful and willful. On the positive side: I grew up fast and learned to take care of myself efficiently. But in some ways I kind of know the purpose of my early child upbringing and i have gained peace with it. I did go many years blaming the hard times in my childhood issues but i realized i had to transcend them instead of using them as a crutch against developing further. Once you stop identifying with he pain from the early years; you start to see a bigger purpose and vision of yourself that includes your bad times and good times. You gain strength. You can only do this when you accept, forgive and heal.

I have a vague recollection.
Of hovering shadows.
And hands.
Forcing pencils and paper into my fists.
And words into my head.

But I wanted to play in the dirt.

Babysitters, daycares.. Had a single mom most of my life and she was always working. She had me talk to the school counselor a few times but I never thought anything was wrong. I knew she had to work and I liked being independent. On the other hand, I had a friend in high school who was smothered (boxed in, brainwashed) way too much by her adoptive parents and she's now a reckless individual.